android
Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 PM

Default Cinema plugin and 605 Wifi, not impressed

I recently purchased the cinema plugin for my Archos 605 WiFi. My original intent for purchasing was to do a very quick disc rip directly to the player instead of encoding my movies.
<o></o><o></o>
Purchasing from the Archos site was a pain. It kept rejecting my check card, so I finally decided to borrow a friend's credit card. That worked out at least. I finally got to the last step where you can download the plugin, and the last field asks for a download key. What was this? I still haven't received an email, but luckily I did print my receipt. But another problem! I only have an "activation key" on the receipt. Well, let’s try my luck. It was my only choice to try that key, and it did work. Thanks for being so consistent with your words, Archos.<o></o>
<o></o>
Okay, plugin installed. It asks to plug the device to some type of power. Now that doesn’t quite make sense. If I don’t have to plug in into power when updating the firmware (which would be more crucial), why for a plugin? Anyway, time to copy some files over. I open up my decrypter of choice and rip the movie parts. Of course they're in 1024 MB parts, so I was kind of upset that I'd had to keep switching files during a movie. But wait! The player actually merges all of the files together and gives you a percentage progress bar instead of a time remaining. That was relieving.<o></o>
<o></o>
I would like to say that I am particularly picky about my videos. I can usually see defects, wrong deinterlation, chroma noise, etc. The first thing I noticed when I was playing the video: it was stuttering. I showed it to some friends, and they say it's fine. No, it's really not. I check the info, and the media player reports it as 29 (30) fps. What?! The dumb player is actually respecting the pulldown flags from the video stream. That's ridiculous. (The stream is technically 24 fps/film.) There is also apparent aliasing, so it made me wonder. Then the reason hit me. The player is discarding fields. There is apparent aliasing and stuttering (to me).<o></o>
<o></o>
Well, I just wasted $20. I called up sales and asked for a refund/exchange for another plugin, but nope. No go. My final verdict: not recommended.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-13-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks for this. I was considering buying the 605 for the sole purpose of putting a bunch of dvd rips on there and being able to connect it to any tv and watch. I was thinking there was a good chance I'd buy the thing, get the plugin, and find out something didn't work.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:07 PM

Default Archos 605 wifi 30g cinema plugin

I bought a second hand archos 605 and i'm very pleased with it I can surf the watch video on u tube and i've put on my photo's and cds on it.and I've been trying to download the cinema mpeg-2 video ac3 gen 5,but archos wont let me it's possibly because it was already registered when new.I been comunicating with archos uk but they have stopped e mailing me does anyone no how I might get around this problem.I don,t intend to ring there technical support as it would cost a fortune.

regards roger h

Old 11-12-2008, 07:10 AM

This number should work in the UK

020 79490115.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:48 PM

I have a question specifically related to the cinema plug-in. Judging from the post of the author of this thread, this plug-in won't work correctly. Can anyone else confirm or deny it? I am asking specifically other people who have used this plug-in (on 605 or 705 wifi players). I don't wanna have any problems when playing 7 GB DVD rips.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:54 AM

To rip dvds to the archos with the cinema plug in all you need to do is set up a separate folder for each film then copy all the vob files that contain the main film to that folder - to play the film just select the 1st vob file and all the others will play in sequence without any gaps. I have done it on my 705 and it works fine with a good quality picture. You will not however be able to playback the vob files on a tv as they are protected when ripped by the macrovision. If you want to play back files on a TV you will have to find some way of disabling the macrovision by using gvg shrink or something similar. .

Old 02-23-2009, 02:20 PM

Thank you for your response. There are a couple of programs that can remove any DVD protection. For example, AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter, and probably other programs can remove the macrovision and any other protection. I am glad you had no problems with playing full DVDs on your 705, but I am surprised that the author of the thread did have such problems on his 605. Aren't 705 and 605 almost identical players except that the 705 has a larger screen?

Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 AM

Yes they are identical, except for the size and one or two extras but the OS is the same.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:10 AM

Sometimes I think people come on here that really dont know what they are doing and act like its the archos when really its them...

You act like you want a HD hand held, I have the plug in and my movies run smooth and have a great picture. If you are extra pick as you say the thats really nobody's issue but yours.

People need to research what they are buying and what it dose before they buy it. The archos is a nitch media player and if you buy it for what its designed to do its top notch. The plug ins are worth ever penny although for the price of a archos they should have came with it but that said you'll be hard pressed to find a player thats better for movies than the archos 605 or 705, that is unless you buy the next gen archos.....

Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 AM

Ive had no probs w/ my plug ins..well worth it to me.....c'mon..ur watching videos on a 4 1/2 inch screen, whaddya expect, the same quality as a 40 inch LCD? its only 800x anyways. I download smaller sized videos to watch on it..and even if I wanted to watch a ripped dvd on my tv...its still only gonna out put at 800x so I dont have the same Fuss about how it looks. It does what its sposed to do well....expecting anything else..then get a high def media player.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:57 AM

I just got the cinema plug-ins for my Archos 5, and am seeing the EXACT SAME THING the TS is describing. I did a google search on this problem and this was one of the few hits that came up.

I've been encoding a lot of vob files to avi at 23 fps ... I wanted to run vob files directly, since I've read that they look great and play smooth on Archos, so I bought the plug-in ... There is VISIBLE stuttering on some camera pans with the Archos 5 and vob files. When I look at the exact same scenes encoded to avi at 23 fps, there is NO stuttering.

It's obvious, Archos can't handle vob files smoothly at 30 fps, and since it will only play them at 30 fps, that means Archos can't handle vob files smoothly, period ...

The TS knows what he is talking about. Those of you who are blindly attacking him either aren't discerning enough to know what you are talking about or haven't bothered to do an A/B comparison with the same material, first as vob, then as .avi ... There IS an obvious difference. It's unmistakable.

"Sometimes I think people come on here that really dont know what they are doing and act like its the archos when really its them..."

Care to share some of your vast knowledge with us then, Slapshot? You rip the .vob files from the dvd. You drag them onto the Archos. Since that is all there is to it, what step, exactly, could the TS have forgotten? Since you are blaming him, please explain how he could have screwed up such a fool proof procedure, with no encoding involved. And then explain it to me to, since I get the exact same results he did. If you're going to criticize people--back it up.

"whaddya expect, the same quality as a 40 inch LCD?"

Yeah, sure Puer. Because if you expect your videos not to visibly stutter, then you are expecting the EXACT SAME QUALITY as a 40 inch LCD ...

Archos should not sell a vob codec when it has poor vob playback. I wish more people would speak out about this. It would have saved me some time and money.

Last edited by blinkstar; 06-25-2009 at 01:08 AM.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:42 PM

My videos do not visibly stutter...if I put a poor quality video on my unit..it looks crappy...if i put a good quality file on..it looks good...but the unit is still limited by 800x resolution...nothing I can do will make it look any better if I video out straight from the device to a tv....it has its limitations for resolution...thats all I was saying. Non of my DVD vids stutter on any of my units....Ive had the 504 and currently the 605 & 705. Sounds to me like you and Anonova are just too damn picky for a 4 1/2 inch PMP w/ a limitation of 800x resolution. All I can say is...ive never ahd a problem w/ DVD's on my units..ive got plug ins for all 3.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puer View Post
My videos do not visibly stutter...if I put a poor quality video on my unit..it looks crappy...if i put a good quality file on..it looks good...but the unit is still limited by 800x resolution...nothing I can do will make it look any better if I video out straight from the device to a tv....it has its limitations for resolution...thats all I was saying. Non of my DVD vids stutter on any of my units....Ive had the 504 and currently the 605 & 705. Sounds to me like you and Anonova are just too damn picky for a 4 1/2 inch PMP w/ a limitation of 800x resolution. All I can say is...ive never ahd a problem w/ DVD's on my units..ive got plug ins for all 3.
Here's the thing though. You are confusing two different things. You keep talking about resolution ... that has nothing to do with frame rate. Yes, of course the Archos is limited by an 800x resolution (which isn't actually a limitation when it comes to DVDs, since they are 720x480.)

I'm happy with the resolution of my Archos. It is the frame rate that is a problem, when playing material encoded at 30 fps ... like vob files.