android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Xtra / Touch

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2009, 09:36 PM

Smile Creative Zen Touch with 32GB Compact Flash (CF) Card

I have good news to share with all Creative Zen Touch fans. I have put a 32GB Kingston 133X CF card in a zen touch and everything works perfectly. I will describe the procedure a little bit and wish others may find this tutorial useful.

First Step, Disassemble the Zen Touch Player

Comparing to other “modern”mp3 players, zen touch is much easy to disassemble, loose the four screws on the rear plate, you can remove the plate. Note there is a screw underneath the “Warranty Void IF Broken” label.

Then, you will see the battery. Just remove it with a “-” screwdriver. You can remove the 4 screws in the two plastics. Then, you remove the plastics. You now have the motherboard of the player.

Remove two plastics in the top and bottom of the hard drive

Now remove the Motherboard,

Second Step, Change the hard drive

There are two screws on the front drive which hold the hard drive to the motherboard. You need to remove them first. Then you can pull the hard drive out.

Screws are removed on the motherboard

There are two types of adapters to covert your CF card to a 1.8’’ IDE hard drive.
One is named as “PA-CF18H” which has the same size of a hard drive. Another is called “CF-IDE44 Adapter V.B1”. The first one fits a little better. The second one is cheaper, but works just fine.

Adapters with CF Cards.

Most important thing is that not all CF cards can be used in the zen touch. The 300X transcend CF card does NOT work. I cannot load firmware to the card. The 512 Kingston Card is a quite old one, maybe 45X, but it works. I ordered the 32GB 133X Kingston card from newegg.com. It proves to be working well with Zen touch. I guess the Transcend 300X card in other capacity 16GB or 8GB will not work with the player.

Unfortunately, this 300X card does not work, cannot load firmware.

Third Step, Assemble the player and load the firmware to the CF card.

I am not describing this step. I believe most of you are able to do it. Search the forum is need.

Final 32GB Creative Zen Touch (The Kingston 32GB is from Newegg.com for $68)

Firmware loaded, (it shows 3076.3MB)

Q & A

What tools do you need to do the mod?

Two screwdrivers one is “+”, another is “-” shape. The “+” need to be small enough to handle the 8 screws. I have a set of screwdrivers form local Lows years ago.

What else do you need?

One 32GB Kingston 133X CF card (you can choose the capacity you like), and
One adapter (either one in the picture works, Search “CF IDE Adapter” on ebay you can find them.

What is the cost?

CF ($68) + Adapter ($2) = $70
Actual cost for me is a little higher, I bought quite a few adapters to try.

Other questions, you can PM me. Wish you will do this too.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Tags
32gb, compact, flash, touch, zen