android
Old 06-30-2009, 08:34 PM

Arrow Right Ordered a new Cowon s9 yesterday

Hello one n all,
I ordered a 32gb s9 (titanium) yesterday night (AUSTRALIA). I m super-excited. Has any1 got tips for me?
Is the battery life 55 hrs/11 hrs?
Does the construction feel too plastic-y?
Are the in-ear earphones good enuf or do I need xternal ones?
I already own bose in-ear and Sony's studio monitor.

Looking forward to hear from s9 users.
Thank you in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-30-2009, 08:39 PM

the included earbuds aren't "in-ear" type. they're just normal earbuds. Decent sound though.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:46 PM

the battery is pretty close to that depending on your EQ settings and such.
the construction feels fine to me. not too plasticy.
it doesnt come with in-ear. it comes with regular buds, and they really do suck. you notice the difference when youve been listening to it for a while with nice sonys, then you switch back to the included buds.

all in all great player. it really is awesome. good luck. feel free to pm me with any questions...

Old 06-30-2009, 09:33 PM

If you have already your BOSE triport IE, don't hesitate, use them, the sound quality is incredible with this player.

You didn't take a bad move at all. I'm sure you will love that.

If you want to customize it, try the Claw UCI, you won't regret it!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguindude View Post
the included earbuds aren't "in-ear" type. they're just normal earbuds. Decent sound though.
Sorry. My bad. i have seen pictures of the bundled earphones. They don't seem too good. Thanks a lot for ur reply.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mf1232 View Post
the battery is pretty close to that depending on your EQ settings and such.
the construction feels fine to me. not too plasticy.
it doesnt come with in-ear. it comes with regular buds, and they really do suck. you notice the difference when youve been listening to it for a while with nice sonys, then you switch back to the included buds.

all in all great player. it really is awesome. good luck. feel free to pm me with any questions...
Oh ok. I was worried bout the feel. But, now m not. So, which EQ settings should I use to get the max battery life? Does that mean if i use any of the BBE EQ, the battery life will be less?

Thanks for ur reply, mate.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
If you have already your BOSE triport IE, don't hesitate, use them, the sound quality is incredible with this player.

You didn't take a bad move at all. I'm sure you will love that.

If you want to customize it, try the Claw UCI, you won't regret it!
Yeahh! M just waiting to use the bose IE with the s9. It will be a deadly combo, i hope.
What's this CLAW UCI?
I've been reading a lot about this on ABI.

Thanks for ur reply.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:38 PM

Update:
My s9 order was 'pending.' It's now 'processing.' Yaaay!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Claw's UCI: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41390

Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrigank.pawar View Post
Hello one n all,
I ordered a 32gb s9 (titanium) yesterday night (AUSTRALIA). I m super-excited. Has any1 got tips for me?
Is the battery life 55 hrs/11 hrs?
Does the construction feel too plastic-y?
Are the in-ear earphones good enuf or do I need xternal ones?
I already own bose in-ear and Sony's studio monitor.

Looking forward to hear from s9 users.
Thank you in advance.
No idea because I'm always playing with settings and whatnot so the battery goes faster than it should.

No it does not feel like it's poorly made and cheap plastic at all.

Never used them because I already know they won't fit in my ear.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:24 AM

@ Blahaha
I guess there r some specific settings needed to make the battery last for 55 hrs. Anyway, does it last more than i-pod's 36 hrs?

I should receive my s9 by Fri morning.

Thanks for ur reply.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

My refurb S9 is on the way as well, and it'll be here by Friday. I can't wait. This is my second, as I needed to return the first for personal reasons (no fault of the S9). Once I had it though, all other players are inferior. I even sold my Touch 2G to fund the repurchase. And, FWIW, getting a refurb through Amazon.com is actually directly getting it from Cowon. So, I'm good to go, and it's stated as "in like new condition".

Old 07-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
My refurb S9 is on the way as well, and it'll be here by Friday. I can't wait. This is my second, as I needed to return the first for personal reasons (no fault of the S9). Once I had it though, all other players are inferior. I even sold my Touch 2G to fund the repurchase. And, FWIW, getting a refurb through Amazon.com is actually directly getting it from Cowon. So, I'm good to go, and it's stated as "in like new condition".
Oh ok. If I may ask, why 'exactly' did u return ur previous s9?
I was considering the i-pod touch 16gb 1st. Then, I started looking around and this beauty caught my eye. I haven't even heard how this one sounds. I have just ordered it after seeing reviews and listening to my brother's advice.

Thanks for ur reply.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
My refurb S9 is on the way as well, and it'll be here by Friday. I can't wait. This is my second, as I needed to return the first for personal reasons (no fault of the S9). Once I had it though, all other players are inferior.

Ahh...coming back to the "Darkside" I see.....get it, "Darkside".

Whatever....

Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 AM

Prepare to be horrified by the chintziness of its side pieces. They don't match the rest of the player at all. Really. I just got mine in the mail. Photographs can't do justice to how cheap the sides look. I'm going to have to get a case for it just to shield my eyes.

Last edited by JonathanC; 03-02-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanC View Post
Prepare to be horrified by the chintziness of its side pieces. They don't match the rest of the player at all. Really. I just got mine in the mail. Photographs can't do justice to how cheap the sides look. I'm going to have to get a case for it just to shield my eyes.
Are you serious? I just don't see it....

Old 07-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrigank.pawar View Post
Oh ok. If I may ask, why 'exactly' did u return ur previous s9?
I was considering the i-pod touch 16gb 1st. Then, I started looking around and this beauty caught my eye. I haven't even heard how this one sounds. I have just ordered it after seeing reviews and listening to my brother's advice.

Thanks for ur reply.
I have health issues and needed to pool my resources. Otherwise, the player is amazing. I never would have returned it if I didn't need the $$$. I sold my Touch 2G 32gb just to repurchase another S9. That's love man, love I say!!!

And as for being chintzy, I don't really think so. It's got great build quality, and the look is fantastic. But, remember, to each their own I guess. Still, first time I've heard this 1.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahaha View Post
Are you serious? I just don't see it....
I'm serious. It looks like crap.

I ordered mine from Jet Mall via Amazon. The only listing was for the "chrome" version. They sent me the "titanium" version (these are scare quotes, by the way--Helen Keller could see that the sides are plastic, and very crappy plastic at that), in a box labelled "titanium," with an invoice listing the "chrome" version. I think I'll stick with this one, though, because I assume the shinier one would only draw more attention to the crappiness.

The sides are a grey that seems always to catch the light, and have a completely different texture than the rest of the player, which is black. Why is it such a problem for me? It's hard to explain. I think it is a real achievement, though, that the sides manage to clash with the rest so badly. I'm not such a fan of metal, by the way, and I don't care that the player feels light. I think it would be great if the sides were like the back, that rubbery whatever-it-is. The whole player looks very premium, except for the sides (and maybe the play button, made of the same material). They look stuck on with Elmer's.

Otherwise, I'm trying to figure out when I've got it turned on and when I haven't. It's an ambiguous matter so far. When it finishes its first charge, I'll see if I have the current firmware. I can't image that I do, because the touch response thus far sucks. I absolutely can't control it with my thumbs, but rather need to hold it in one palm and use an index finger.

Have I listened to it? Of course not. I'm still trying to figure out how to add tags to .flac files on a Mac.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanC View Post
I'm serious. It looks like crap.

I ordered mine from Jet Mall via Amazon. The only listing was for the "chrome" version. They sent me the "titanium" version (these are scare quotes, by the way--Helen Keller could see that the sides are plastic, and very crappy plastic at that), in a box labelled "titanium," with an invoice listing the "chrome" version. I think I'll stick with this one, though, because I assume the shinier one would only draw more attention to the crappiness.

The sides are a grey that seems always to catch the light, and have a completely different texture than the rest of the player, which is black. Why is it such a problem for me? It's hard to explain. I think it is a real achievement, though, that the sides manage to clash with the rest so badly. I'm not such a fan of metal, by the way, and I don't care that the player feels light. I think it would be great if the sides were like the back, that rubbery whatever-it-is. The whole player looks very premium, except for the sides (and maybe the play button, made of the same material). They look stuck on with Elmer's.
huh....I never even noticed a issue with the color or fell of the player. Not even an issue for me but to each his own I guess....

Old 07-01-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahaha View Post
huh....I never even noticed a issue with the color or fell of the player. Not even an issue for me but to each his own I guess....
I barely care. I wanted it for the sound quality, and if I have to use five applications to get it to work with my Mac, fight every instinct I've ever developed with regard to UI standards, and buy a rubber gimp suit for it so that I don't wince whenever I look at it, fine. My new earphones are late showing up. I'll try to render a less superficial judgment once they have.

Tags
humorlessness, new s9, suggestions