android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Nano

Old 06-26-2009, 11:05 PM

Default My ripped tracks go into the player in alphabetical order-any fixes?

Hi all, new to the forums.
I'm an old fart who got a Zen Nano 512 mb a few years ago and only used it infrequently.
I rip music from my CD's with the Zen Explorer software and find the tracks appear in alphabetical order rather than by track number which is bad enough on a music CD but murder for instructional CD's and audio books.
Does anyone have a solution?
On the Creative forums, I found reference to a freeware application called ReOrganize, found it here: http://www.oliver-frietsch.de/reorganize/ Has anyone heard of it? I'm nervous DL'ing an unknown piece of software from its creator's site.

If this has been discussed to death here, I apologize; I came up with a huge number of hits using "search" on the forums, nothing too relevant.

My apologies to the community for the double psot-I initially posted this in the "Zen" section by mistake.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-27-2009, 12:54 AM

You need to correct your ID3 tags, I've never used Zen Explorer software, so I can not comment on it, but it should have a way for you to fix before or after ripping. If not, you can use mp3tag, it's a free tagging software and it can handle all your files at the same time.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-27-2009, 07:53 PM

Thanks Walkgood! I'll download it now.

Do you know a tutorial for managing music files or have some tips for a novice?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:49 PM

1. Create Subfolders and organize to your style either by artist/band/album or genre. Example create subfolders like C:My Music/PinkFloyd/Animals, WishYouWereHere, Ummagumma-Live, etc. etc. or C:My MusicClassical, C:My MusicRock and C:My MusicInternational, etc. etc ...

2. Ensure ID3 Tags Are Correct.

3. Decide on Music Management Software – foobar2000, winamp, mediamonkey, songbird, etc. There are several good software’s for free, try one and if you don’t like it, move on. The help files on the better one’s should answer all your questions.

BTW, there are many good threads here on abi that can be very helpful and you can also check hydrogenaudio knowledgebase for good info.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 06-30-2009, 08:44 AM

Hi, the thing to remember is that the Zen Nano Plus plays back songs in order of filename not ID3 tag.
Correcting the tags won't help the playback order.

Assuming you have a structure of artist/title/trackname then the trackname should be prefixed with the track number.

For instance in the folder Queen\Greatest Hits 2, I have the following files
01 A kind of Magic.mp3
02 Under Pressure.mp3
03 Radio Gaga.mp3
and so on.

If you rip using Creative media source, the option to manage filenames is well hidden under Tools - Settings - PC Music Library - Properies.
I have this set as none - none -Track Number - Track Title

You can also use Windows Media Player to rip your tracks. Set the prefix under Rip - Options - Filename

For existing tracks you can just add the number prefixes using windows explorer rename. I also find this very useful: http://www.1-4a.com/rename/

Hope this helps

Dave