android
Old 12-01-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trautix View Post
omg that is just way too much. seriously. it bettere be revolutionary. i doubt though... small size+ no hiss ... i got it.. but still...??!?!?!? i was willing to pay 250 ... shame...
Yes it's pricy, but as I've said in irc, if it's as good as the existing pico and it's supposed to be better with iem's, it should be worth it if you’re in the first hundred. BTW and I'm sure you don't want to hear it, as far as I've seen $250 won't get you a used regular pico in the "Amplification For Sale" thread on headfi.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-06-2009, 10:51 AM

Justin thank you for the preview of the Pico Slim at the SoFla Head-fi Meet this weekend, you can officially add my name to the list

For all those who don’t know or might be confused by the pictures, the final version won’t have the improper laser engraving as seen on this prototype and the color will be solid vs two tone depicted here. The cases look great, I liked the light wrinkles the best followed by the smooth one, but which ever he decides on is fine. I especially liked the open back to the case allowing one to use it with the case on vs the bag that came with my Pico/Dac, which is only for storage. As far as early impressions, let me say that it’s all that has already been said throughout the thread on head-fi. For now I’ll keep my impressions to discussions in anythingbutipod irc channel and I will hold off on my personal impressions until it’s released and I have more time on my own Pico Slim.

Guess who?

Narrowed down to one of these cases:

And my personal favorite:

Old 12-07-2009, 06:03 AM

Your photos of the cases are better than the ones on Head-Fi - the smooth leather looks cheap and fake, as expected. Why he didn't use the much better looking textured one is beyond me... ah well, the power of Head-Fi polls.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Your photos of the cases are better than the ones on Head-Fi - the smooth leather looks cheap and fake, as expected. Why he didn't use the much better looking textured one is beyond me... ah well, the power of Head-Fi polls.
Its starting to get to the point that few people actually even know what real leather is or feels like because of perfection and because of the growing preferance of fake leather "Because of the animal thing." Even when real leather is used, its so perfected, cleaned, waxed and reinforced that its practically impossible to tell if it is real or not. Half of the "Real leather" stuff you see in stores these days doesn't even smell of leather, I mean wtf? :P

Overall, the AMP still looks nice, just not 400$ nice. I know, I know, quality costs, and thats most likely just a rough prototype but meh, I could live with less. Its just the size the intrigues me. Which wont last for long anyway... Someone's bound to come out with something smaller, possibly better, sooner or later. Maybe someone will figure to make a budget model for us other people :P

Last edited by Jack4L; 12-07-2009 at 10:58 AM.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 AM

Damn that looks sweet. Except for the power switch being labelled "input" but hey it is a prototype

Personally I prefer the smooth leather look, but different strokes for different folks...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 AM

AFAIK or assume it's not real, it would add too much cost. But the open end of the case makes it usefull vs the little bag you get with the standard pico.

Edit: Yea, I didn't like the smooth one either, but it actually looks better in real life vs the pics

Old 12-07-2009, 12:54 PM

Pre-order thread just went up if any are interested making the intro price

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/he...quests-459464/

Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 PM

Will this make a difference with the Sony A828 + Hippo VB in terms of sound quality?

Old 12-31-2009, 07:53 AM

I very much doubt it.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 AM

Hi all

I have put my name down for the slim, although I'm number 340ish, so may miss out on the initial 250

Anyway, just wondered, being new to all this, what do you guys think of the whiplash LOD for $120? I have a fiio LOD that came out last year for £7 ($10), and just wondered if the LOD was really worth the $$?

ALO sell loads of LOD, starting from $50, and while they haven't got the smaller dock adaptor or the right hand thing, they seem better value.

I have read loads on HF that a lot of people don't see the value in expensive LODs, but with the form factor and sync in size to the slim, is this worth it?

Cheers

Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 AM

Those overpriced cables are a scam. Don't waste your money on those nonsensical con artist products.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Doesn't whiplash only make LOD for ipod only or are they now doing fuze as well? If that's what you want you can get an ipod LOD at reasonable rates if you can't make your own and I'll bet there's no differance in sq or preformance, for that little short run IMHO any cable works fine, even a torn up cat 4 cable.

Edit: BTW you'll still get the discount, you'll just fall into the second batch and not get the life time warranty & battery. I have the origional model and did listen to the slim before I ordered one as well, I honestly think you'll be happy with headamp products as long as you can get past the cost.

Last edited by WalkGood; 03-04-2010 at 10:20 AM.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The size of this amp is so tempting

it is 80 x 39 x 9.4mm (around 29,328 mm3)
and Ibasso T3, T3D, dan T4 : 64.5mm x 37mm x 10mm = 23,865 mm3

so it is only a little bigger than ibasso T3/T4 , but smaller than Travagans color (37,485 mm3)

Old 03-07-2010, 07:59 AM

FYI for those that ordered, Justin put up the payment info here, so they'll be shipping this week. AFAIK he's not sending email notifications now either.

Edit: typical shipping delays, no defined date other than finalizing should be in next 2 weeks

Last edited by WalkGood; 03-21-2010 at 04:35 AM.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:13 AM

Can I ask, does anyone who has heard this or similiar think I'd benefit from buying one?

I use a Sony Walkman mostly, with W2's, and also have a ipod classic with E1; also have a pair of HF5s and X10s

My feeling is that I won't benefit greatly, as these are all BA's, and especially out of the Sony, sound great.

Your views are most welcome

Old 03-21-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeO View Post
Can I ask, does anyone who has heard this or similiar think I'd benefit from buying one?
Personally I was impressed with this amps channel matching, potentiometer steps of attenuation and ability to drive my ue11’s extremely well. Although I ordered one, I do feel all the high end portable amps are expensive and not for everyone. "Will you benefit from the Pico Slim," maybe yes and maybe no but read here and only you can be the judge.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Personally I was impressed with this amps channel matching, potentiometer steps of attenuation and ability to drive my ue11’s extremely well. Although I ordered one, I do feel all the high end portable amps are expensive and not for everyone. "Will you benefit from the Pico Slim," maybe yes and maybe no but read here and only you can be the judge.
Good read, the whole thread was very interesting.

I do think an amp can help drive certain phones - I use a Voyager with my Grado's 325, and it makes a huge difference to volume and quality of the ipod.

I'm not so sure that a Slim will do anything much to improve my listening quality with my iems, as they all seem very easy to drive. If I had customs, then I would imagine an ipod or nano would need a Slim to power them properly.

Trouble is, being in the Uk, it would cost $400 to buy one, and then 17.5% VAT, taking it to nearly $500. I think that could be spent more wisely on some 650's and maybe an i9 or wait for a J3, for nearly the same money

Old 03-21-2010, 07:05 AM

I'll tell you what WalkGood, let me put this another way. If you were in my shoes, with my equipment, but knowing what you know, would you invest in a Slim or other equipment?

I'm putting you on the spot - no splinters from sitting on the fence

Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 AM

I hate being put on the spot But seeing how you are from Derby you would certainly benefit from the less expensive price tag of the Headphonia Headstage Arrow 12HE and it’s additional features. I see you have already posted there and when dfkt returns, I’m sure he’ll provide great feedback for you, but just reading the thread there and on headfi one can see it’s a good amp. Although I personally have not listened to the Arrow.

On this side of the pond, I did have the chance to listen to the Slim and I believe that I’ve already stated my reasons for going with it around the forums, but I’m sure I’ll write more once I have it in my hands for further listening.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaeO View Post
Hi all

I have put my name down for the slim, although I'm number 340ish, so may miss out on the initial 250 ... ...
Apologies for the double post, but I just remembered your post ^^ and noticed on the preorder spreadsheet you are number 342, but if you look at the paid column “Salt Peanuts” just above you is number 219, not sure it would stick, but it looks like you would make the 250 preorder cut off at this time, tough decision you have to make

Edit: But IMHO the lifetime warranty and free batteries is certainly worth the difference beyond it’s stated performance.