android
Old 08-19-2009, 11:51 PM

If your getting an error with media player it is probably a filter or codec problem. It would crash on me when I tried to convert mkv files or anime until I kept working on it. Ripbot requires AVisynth, ffdshow, haali media splitter and .Net Framework.

I must have been missing something because I had to uninstall and then reinstall codec packs for it to be able to work properly. PSP converters wont always work because they are set up to convert for PSP. The PSP can support AVC main profile but this device is only simple profile. You can use software like MediaGo or DoubleTwist to encode videos for you but you wont get best quality.

I got this device the first day it came out and I could not get videos to work for a few days. I had to settle with videos running at 320x240 MPEG4. I was using PSP converters and could not tell what AVC profile was being used. Ripbot will work great as long as you have requirements installed. Xvid4psp will also work as long as you change AVC profile to 1.3 but so far I have not found anything better or faster than Ripbot.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 AM

Ripbot wont work for me. Is there anything else (free) i can use to convert videos to fit the full screen?

Old 09-13-2009, 03:50 PM

Default Virtual dub gives you control

EDIT NOTE: You can only save files in virtualdub as AVI, which I think the X can't (sadly) play. However, some folks might still find virtuldub useful for other purposes, so I've left the post here.

I'm waiting for my X to arrive, and I'm getting ready. I always used virtual dub to encode video for my zen xfi. You need to have a clue about what you're doing (I've got half a clue, not a whole one). The advantage is that it gives you a lot of control, and works. I've found that using the useful advice here relating to other software, I'll probably be able to give it a go. I've not used the other software mentioned, so I'm not making any comparison - just that it's an alternative if you want one.

Here is Virtual Dub

Here is the h.264 software you'll need

Virtual Dub is a front end to the capabilities of the codecs that are already on your system (as are most of the software programs you download)

I've attached three screenshots of the parameters you can control, and one of the re-sizing filter, which is a separate function. I'm assuming that although there's a lot there, I'll actually only need to play with the h.264 parameters on the first screen, as well as the sizing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vd1.jpg (54.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg vd2.jpg (63.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg vd3.jpg (57.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg vd4.jpg (38.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by netwiz; 09-16-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandal View Post
With AVC you can go up to 480 x 270.
How can it do that if the max resolution is 432x240? That's the quoted max, and also the resolution of the demo vids on the player. Does it play the higher resolutions but downsize?

Old 09-19-2009, 02:08 PM

Having now had a play around with some software, my personal choice wouldn't be ripbot (emphasise personal choice). Just as a starter, I don't understand why anyone would develop a program that uses a really small font, and then makes it a pale grey colour, so it's really difficult to read and use.

There are other applications out there that do pretty much the same thing that (in my opinion) have an easier to use interface.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:43 PM

What is best video encoder? I've been using SUPER.. and could anyone give me good quality encoding options for 480x272?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
DVD catalyst is for dummies. Its fast and easy and give great quality at a fast speed.
Its for those who know almost nothing about encoding or converting videos.
It has options of removing the black bars and modifying the video to fit the players screen (full screen) and another option of removing the black bars while leaving the video unmodified while adding new black bars so that whole video fits the screen.

Mitch is building a 432x240 profile now for the Sony X. Till then u can use 424x240 or 480x272.
Just got hold of DVD catalyst and its made getting full screen alot easier, can't wait for the 432x240 profile so the subs on anime come up properly!!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
DVD catalyst is for dummies. Its fast and easy and give great quality at a fast speed.
Its for those who know almost nothing about encoding or converting videos.
It has options of removing the black bars and modifying the video to fit the players screen (full screen) and another option of removing the black bars while leaving the video unmodified while adding new black bars so that whole video fits the screen.

Mitch is building a 432x240 profile now for the Sony X. Till then u can use 424x240 or 480x272.
Just got hold of DVD catalyst and its made getting full screen alot easier, just be sure to remove the black bars from file, preview it and change the aspect ratio to 1.78:1

Old 12-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Hi,

Firstly I'd like to thank people in this thread for the useful information since I managed to get Ripbot264 working and put some excellent quality videos onto my X1060, using the method where you choose the BASE3.0 iPod profile, change AVC level to 1.3 and clear the two adjacent values (max bitrate/buffer or something like that).

Unfortunately this was while I was using Windows XP SP3 (32bit) and after moving to Windows 7 (64bit), the files I make with Ripbot264, using the exact same method, no longer play on the X1060 and I just get a format not supported message when attempting to do so.

I have no idea whats going on, since I'm doing everything the same, the only things thats changed is the operating system.

Any ideas?

Old 12-20-2009, 12:46 AM

I actually went back and tried converting a movie in media coder, it actually plays 480x270, I don't believe 480x272 fully works, only use 480x270. I'm going to test the crop settings, and if this turns out like I think then the sony may not be a bad decision after all, because that was in fact one of the gripes of many people.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:58 AM

I'm using Handbrake using Universal format and changed the resolution and kbps to 1024.. seems to work fine. And change the destination file to .mp4.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumx3 View Post
Hi,

Firstly I'd like to thank people in this thread for the useful information since I managed to get Ripbot264 working and put some excellent quality videos onto my X1060, using the method where you choose the BASE3.0 iPod profile, change AVC level to 1.3 and clear the two adjacent values (max bitrate/buffer or something like that).

Unfortunately this was while I was using Windows XP SP3 (32bit) and after moving to Windows 7 (64bit), the files I make with Ripbot264, using the exact same method, no longer play on the X1060 and I just get a format not supported message when attempting to do so.

I have no idea whats going on, since I'm doing everything the same, the only things thats changed is the operating system.

Any ideas?
I can't help with ripbot, but if you look here
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=47675
and skip to the 'software that works for me' bit, I suggest software that I know does work on win7.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:27 AM

any recommended settings for handbrake?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangesweet View Post
I'm using Handbrake using Universal format and changed the resolution and kbps to 1024.. seems to work fine. And change the destination file to .mp4.
I doubt that this would work...and even then going from 768kbps to 1024 and even to 1.5mb isn't going to net you a whole lot of difference.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:37 AM

Fixed the problem I described in my first post. Turns out the videos weren't playing because I was using a newer version of Ripbot264, v1.14.6 to be exact; on my XP installation I was using v1.14.5. I tried this version on my Windows 7 installation and everything seems to be working again, videos play perfectly like before.

I wonder what changed in the latest version???

Old 12-28-2009, 01:06 AM

Does anyone have screenshot of good quality MP4 setting on Ripbot or Handbrake?

I tried various settings written on this forum and none of them work or if it works, it converts to smaller screen (full height and 1/3 of width of x1051) even if I set the screen size to 480x272.

Thanks!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 PM

yea vids only work at 480x270...

all I can say is baseline profile, level at 1.3 use crop if you can, if you can't crop then your stuck.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:06 AM

kysg/

I meant 270. I guess I wrote it wrong.

I've been actually using Korean converter and it worked fine for the past few months but I prefer using English converter so I've been looking at different options.

From what I've tried so far with Handbrake and Ripbot, it seems like it either works (but screen size only takes up about 1/3 of the screen or cannot be read from the player) or not.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 AM

Hello,
I have been using ripbot and cannot get any movie to work on my player,
can anyone tell me exactly what settings within 'Encode Setttings' needs to be checked?
Deblocking strength, deblocking sensitivity, which algorithm, which subpixel refinement, etc etc.
All I gout out of this whole thread is to choose 1.3, THATS IT?
Can anyone post a screenshot of these settings to make it easier for all of us?

thanks

fynx

Old 12-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Could anyone tell me if the below setting is okay?

I want the clip to take advantage of the entire display and not have black screen elsewhere.

Last edited by Chocolate Truffle; 12-29-2009 at 08:08 PM.