android
Old 07-11-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
DVD catalyst is for dummies. Its fast and easy and give great quality at a fast speed.
Its for those who know almost nothing about encoding or converting videos.
It has options of removing the black bars and modifying the video to fit the players screen (full screen) and another option of removing the black bars while leaving the video unmodified while adding new black bars so that whole video fits the screen.

Mitch is building a 432x240 profile now for the Sony X. Till then u can use 424x240 or 480x272.
so how do you apply the changed resolution ? I took preset Walkman and changed resolution to 480x272 and hit encode but then it encodes in 320x240 can you make a screen where or how u apply a new reslution ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-12-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyu727 View Post
so how do you apply the changed resolution ? I took preset Walkman and changed resolution to 480x272 and hit encode but then it encodes in 320x240 can you make a screen where or how u apply a new reslution ?
That why i did't use that program because when you pick a resolution it don't stick & beside you got to pay for it & the IQ is not that good. RipBot264 will give you even better IQ because it's running X264 & the GUI is better & easy to use, not only that but when you pick a resolution it stay there.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:37 PM

if you tell ripbot to resize to 480x272, does it add black bars, does it REALLY resize or does it crop ?

PS: your old avatar pwnd a lot more =o I will miss it

Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 PM

okay, after having lots of tropuble getting videos on my walkman x series, i finally stumbled across this thread. Now, I've downloaded ripbot and followed the advice about editing preferences etc. but every video i convert and put on my x series simply gives the'cannot play file; format is not supported' error. If anyone can give a little step by step it would be much appreciated. I can only think i've missed something out in the process... cheers

Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 PM

Hi,in Ripbot make sure .mp4 as output is selected,also in profile box,browse(there isn't one if i remember in drop dowm list) & make Avg level 1.3,it will come up as Profile'(Base 1.3) Custom'.Its best H264 STD Sony X can do,unless someone says/finds better .In Encoding setting,experiment,you can do 342 x 240(setting size),but if movie try a res that suits movie aspect ratio 1.85:1 etc.Also try Crop or no crop etc.Play about with the button's/options.I'm still messing/ learning
If you look aspect ratio of X is 1.80:1 so some compromise must have to be made IMO.Black bars,or Upscaling/downscaling etc.

Cheers BOB

Old 07-12-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcnewsome View Post
okay, after having lots of tropuble getting videos on my walkman x series, i finally stumbled across this thread. Now, I've downloaded ripbot and followed the advice about editing preferences etc. but every video i convert and put on my x series simply gives the'cannot play file; format is not supported' error. If anyone can give a little step by step it would be much appreciated. I can only think i've missed something out in the process... cheers
Can you try out 480x272 and tell me if it added black bar or did it resize ?

Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
After choosing preset Walkman hit the modify button go to Player Screensize and change to 480x272. But before all of this go to global settings near top and select how you want the blackbars (for widescreen movies).

Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
After choosing preset Walkman hit the modify button go to Player Screensize and change to 480x272. But before all of this go to global settings near top and select how you want the blackbars (for widescreen movies).
finally works for me, I wish ripbot would stop adding the black bars >_<

Old 07-13-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstr View Post
YouTubes video's do not follow these formats strictly, do they? By that I mean heights and widths vary considerable on YouTube, yet the X plays them... umm, maybe not?
This is a show stopper...pardon the pun!
The YouTube videos are especially pre-formatted so they will play correctly on the device. I believe it's the same video feed that the Iphone YouTube application uses. Several other mobile phone and DMP YouTube players use the same video feed as well.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muka View Post
The YouTube videos are especially pre-formatted so they will play correctly on the device. I believe it's the same video feed that the Iphone YouTube application uses. Several other mobile phone and DMP YouTube players use the same video feed as well.
agreed, I use the firefox extension "downloadhelper" which shows me all available resolutions of the current playing youtube vid and .mp4 with 480x272 is always available

Old 07-13-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
finally works for me, I wish ripbot would stop adding the black bars >_<
You are simply mading confusion between crop and resize...
Crop remove (and only do that) any black bar from the source if there is, the difference is all in the aspect ratio and how the source was encoded!
If the source has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 (a Spiderman movie for example) and i want that the output video is exactly at size of 480 x 272 it must contain black bars (if i crop or not) or the resulted image will be totally stretchet vertically, so the need of them. If a widescreen device or a program let you to see these sources full screen, or the image is stretched, or you are loosing left and right portions of the movie because is zooming. Only with 1.78:1 / 1.85:1 aspect ratio sources you will not see any black bar with 16/9 screens (all YouTube videos are in that aspect ratio).

@fcnewsome
The simpliest thing you can do is: choose [BASE 3.0] iPOD . iPhone profile and edit it, change the AVC Level to 1.3 and remove Buffer Size and Max Bitrate values, that's all.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandal View Post
Crop remove (and only do that) any black bar from the source if there is, the difference is all in the aspect ratio and how the source was encoded!
If the source has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 (a Spiderman movie for example) and i want that the output video is exactly at size of 480 x 272 it must contain black bars (if i crop or not) or the resulted image will be totally stretchet vertically, so the need of them. If a widescreen device or a program let you to see these sources full screen, or the image is stretched, or you are loosing left and right portions of the movie because is zooming. Only with 1.78:1 / 1.85:1 aspect ratio sources you will not see any black bar with 16/9 screens (all YouTube videos are in that aspect ratio).
But I want it all totally stretched, Im totally fine with it and I dont want black bars when there werent any. Thats it and that cyclist thingi finally resized/streched it while ripbot doesnt. I mean come on, I bought a 3" Screen cuz I want to be able to read the subs better and the "totally streched" vid doesnt look so "bad" at all. and I didnt start with that crop thingy, someone else recommended me cropping, I dot like cropping anyway since it mostly crops the hard-subs away.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandal View Post

If the source has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 (a Spiderman movie for example) and i want that the output video is exactly at size of 480 x 272 it must contain black bars (if i crop or not)
This is false actually.
There is another option (also in DVD catalyst). Chopping off the blackbars and some of the sides of the movie to fit the screen perfectly (full-screen). No stretching required.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
...and some of the sides of the movie...
Yes, i perfectly know you could do that... but usually, and maybe i'm not alone, i like to see a movie always as is (even if on a small screen) and not only a portion of it, even if i saw it 100 times and remember every scene...

Old 07-16-2009, 07:06 AM

Default Linux / Mac OS X guide

Hi guys,

Thanks to your discovery I finally can encode decent videos on Linux, and I'm sure I could do the same in OS X.

So, I've written a small tutorial on it. It's still in construction but I give an example which is more than enough for CRF.

http://elliot.orwells.org/?p=298

Again, thanks a lot!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:05 AM

Thanks for all the advice in this thread. Just got my player today, moved up from the NWZ-A828. The X-series is indeed very impressive.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:31 PM

I was messing about in Sony Vegas 9 and these settings worked fine for me:

Resolution: 480x272
Format: Sony AVC
Profile: Baseline
Entropy coding: CAVLC
Field order: None
Pixel aspect radio: 1.0
Bit rate (bps): 768000

Audio format: AAC
Sample rate (Hz): 48000
Bit rate (bps): 128000
Audio Coding Mode: Stereo

System
Format: MP4 file format (.mp4)

Video rendering quality: Best

Old 07-27-2009, 10:57 AM

is there anyway to stretch a 4:3 video so there's no black on the sides

also bandit can you re-upload that video to mediafire cuz i cant download it

Old 07-28-2009, 05:53 AM

Got problem with some Divx using ripbot. Once i want add movie it says:
Avisource :couldn't decompress frame 0

thanx

Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 PM

could someone try something for me? im going to be picking up mine on Friday and im trying to get all this converting out of the way. could someone test a video with the avc level at 3.0?? the iphone and ipod support this, so the sony should as well. also with videos with a res of for example 432x256? would it downscale the height? since 256 is larger than the screens resolution would it automatically fit it to fill up the screen without messing up the aspect ratio? i like all my vid's to have their original aspect ratios even on my portable players. also what would you guys rate the movie wathing on this hardware? is it nice? is the screen a good enough size? thanks for all your help guys.