android
Old 12-25-2008, 04:32 PM

Default iBasso T4 vs. FiiO E5 vs. Headsix

Hi

Plz, tell me more about Ibasso T4 as I am looking at 3 amps:
Fiio E5
Ibasso T4
Headsix

Only amp I have tried is Fiio E3 (and only for 2 days), and at once I new if I got this better sound with just 8,5 $ and (Creative zen/sennheiser HD 495), then I wanted to pay even more if that would give better sound.

Just got Sennheiser HD 555 to use with my Zen instead of my HD 495.
The E3/HD495/Zen combination gave me no hiss with volume turned to full on zen and music paused.

You said that T4 in differnt ways was better than headsix, which?
Are headsix better than T4 in any ways (other than hiss)?

Plz tell what you know on fiio E3/E5 vs T4 vs headsix?
My priority is sound quality more than amplification.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-25-2008, 04:52 PM
ABI Invaluable

I'd go with the headsix

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-25-2008, 06:47 PM

I just think an upgrade from E3 8.5$ to 140€ (headsix) is a lot, I had hoped that FiiO E5 or perhaps ibasso T4 would be enugh. The headsix is on the expensive side of what I had planned for. But with som really good arguments I might considder headsix.
I had also hoped for something in the size of E5 / T4, where headsix again is a little on the "big" size (at least compared to the other 2). Still want my setup to be portable and look stylish, even though styling priority comes after SQ, price and amplification.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:02 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanH View Post
I just think an upgrade from E3 8.5$ to 140€ (headsix) is a lot, I had hoped that FiiO E5 or perhaps ibasso T4 would be enugh. The headsix is on the expensive side of what I had planned for. But with som really good arguments I might considder headsix.
I had also hoped for something in the size of E5 / T4, where headsix again is a little on the "big" size (at least compared to the other 2). Still want my setup to be portable and look stylish, even though styling priority comes after SQ, price and amplification.
You asked and I answered, personally I haven’t tried the fiio or the t4, but I trust the people that have described them to me (especially dfkt) and if they hiss I’d rather not buy one at all. I researched and spoke with others while saving up for a portable that I would be happy with in the long run and even though I didn’t buy the headsix, it made my top 5 list, so I feel confidant recommending it or the others from meier-audio.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:22 PM

I have just read this: http://www.inearmatters.net/2008/12/...ot-to-amp.html

My E3 (my first and only mini-amp) gave better sq in my Sennheiser HD495 (now using HD 555 ~ 50ohm) without any hiss. E5 should be even better. What do I get for the extra money when buying T4 or headsix?

Old 12-25-2008, 08:17 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
I have just read this: http://www.inearmatters.net/2008/12/...ot-to-amp.html

My E3 (my first and only mini-amp) gave better sq in my Sennheiser HD495 (now using HD 555 ~ 50ohm) without any hiss. E5 should be even better. What do I get for the extra money when buying T4 or headsix?
Try turning the volume up with source on pause or no source and let me know what you hear, either way, enjoy the e5.

BTW, here's info on the headsix:
Quote:
The amp's circuitry is basically that of the CORDA MOVE. However, it comes without the crossfeed filter, has no USB-DAC and has no high-current mode (low current mode only). The amp can be driven by a 9V battery (100 hrs battery life-time!) or by a 6 .. 12 Volts external power supply. The amp is much smaller than the MOVE

Technical details:

Weight without battery: 100 gr.
Measures: 9.3 x 4.7 x 2.2 cm
Supply voltage: 6 .. (9) .. 12 Volts DC
Mean current uptake: 7 mA
Maximal amplification (1 kHz): 4 / 17 dB (low/high gain)
Input impedance: 13 kOhm
Output impedance: < 1 Ohm

The unit runs from a single 9V battery and internally the supply voltage is used to create a pair of +4.5 and -4.5V power lines.

Alternatively external power supplies can be connected with supply voltages between 6V and 12V DC. The external supply voltage is internally splitted to create a pair of +3..+6V and -3..-6V power lines.

The total buffer capacity is 4000 uF to lower the effective battery impedance.

For amplification two single AD8610 opamps are used for maximal sonic performance.(No dual or quad-opamps!)

The 3.5 mm sockets are silver-plated.

Inside the signal path only metal-resistors and high-quality film-capacitors are used (polypropylene).

The enclosure is made entirely of aluminium.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:40 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
You could try the one I linked to above:
http://www.nuforce-icon.com/Product-Icon-Mobile.htm

Small and cheap.

On a side note, the headsix is $145 or 110€, not 140€. 130€ if you live in the EU

Old 12-26-2008, 05:49 AM

Hi
quote from http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/hea...action-261529/: " If you like to use Paypal, wire transfer (also EU-transfers!), or check/money order then prices will be increased by EUR 10,- or USD 15,-."

I live in EU so 130,- so i fugured 130 + 10 = 140€. (if I want to pay with paypal).

Nuforce, how is SQ/amplification/etc. compared to Fiio E5/Ibasso T4/Corda Headsix?

Old 12-26-2008, 06:42 AM

The Nuforce has usb-dac and dual headphone out, it must come at the expense of something else? (compared to the similar priced ibasso T4 which has neigher of those features)

Old 12-26-2008, 06:48 AM

WalkGood: I have tried volume set to max on my creative Zen (on pause) with Fiio E3 and Sennheiser HD 495, and I could not hear any hiss at all!

(just sold the E3 to buy another amp) so I cant try it with my new Sennh. HD 555.)

The SQ is (to me) more important than the amplification and with no hiss from E3/E5, then what do i get for the extra money when buying T4/headsix/Nuforce?

Old 12-26-2008, 08:18 AM
ABI Invaluable

I could be wrong, but the title of the thread “Affordable Portable Headphone Amps” indicates to me that the amps listed in the first post are all a good entry level point into portable amps.

As far as the minute details of a difference between the 3 that you ask, I can’t speak in detail as I don’t own any of them, I have a headamp pico and I am completely satisfied with it, but I don’t recommend because it’s not in the “affordable” category. I only recommended the headsix above because it was one that I read a lot about and strongly considered, although I pointed that out to you in previous post along with the tech specs. Think of German tech manufacturing & build quality vs Chinese.

Like I said before, enjoy the e5.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:32 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
The Nuforce has usb-dac and dual headphone out, it must come at the expense of something else? (compared to the similar priced ibasso T4 which has neigher of those features)
From what ibe read on headfi its a nice amp and nuforce is apparently known for being priced low. Dont have any real life experiences though

Old 12-26-2008, 09:49 AM
ABI Invaluable

@ IvanH, From what I’ve noticed, the better Sennheiser phones are very forgiving and can even make a bad source or amp sound better than it truly is. I only asked you to test the hissing because with either too sensitive or low impedance phones is an easy way to point out amps that are not properly designed. My guess is that your hd495’s at 32 ohms pair nice with your zen and Fiio E3, I’m surprised that if it was so good that you sold the E3. As I said before, I think the big difference in pricing that you will find other than sq is due to the parts, design and build quality.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:20 PM

WalkGood: Sold it to get even better amp E5 (with on/off switch and built in litium battery etc...), but now that I am at it (buying better amp) I want to find out if i am better off to give even more and get an even better amp than E5. And to make that decision i want info to base my decision on.

How much better sq do i get with T4/nuforce/headsix?
Only using high sensitive or high impedance headphones or?

Old 12-27-2008, 06:59 AM

dfkt: quote from you:
"I'm pretty amazed at how good that thing sounds. Probably better than the Headsix in most aspects, very precise, clear, spacious. It's a really great sounding amp for the price and form factor, that's for sure." Can you plz give more info on your experience with T4?
If I have no problem with hiss with my headphones (now 50 ohm sennh. hd 555), then do I only get improvments from T4 compared to headsix?
(T4 is even ½ the price of the headsix and T4 is smaller and better looking, and with more options gain on/off bass-boost on/off)???

are you going to post an official review of the T4 on your site?

Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 PM

Just found Fiio E5 vs Ibasso T4:
http://www.inearmatters.net/2008/12/...ibasso-t4.html

Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 AM

Found some grafs about Fiio E3, headsix, pa2v2 and T4 that I dont understand. Can any of you tell anything based on them?

http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Vario...Vol.%2050).htm

http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Vario...0No%20Load.htm

Old 12-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Can you plz give more info on your experience with T4?
If I have no problem with hiss with my headphones (now 50 ohm sennh. hd 555), then do I only get improvments from T4 compared to headsix?
The T4 sounds more "exciting", it seems to be more bass- and treble-centric than the Headsix, which focuses more on midrange. In low gain mode the Headsix rolls off the treble, which can be a bit annoying with phones that already lack some treble (like SE530, Atrio, etc), but it can be good with phones that have too much treble (like q-jays, HFI780, etc).

T4 creates a slightly better soundstage than the Headsix, perhaps because of the 4-channel design, but I don't know for sure.

Headsix has better battery life and a solid housing. But it's a lot bigger of course.

As of now the T4's volume dial has no channel imbalance and no crackling - something that always bothered me about the Headsix.

If only the T4 wouldn't hiss with most low-impedance/high-sensitivity IEMs without an impedance adapter...

Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 PM

dfkt: Without the "damn 48 Ohm impedance adapter", can you hear any noise when you use the T4 with your HD650?

Old 12-30-2008, 08:10 PM

thx
What is the difference between switching from low to high gain and just turning up the volume on the T4-potentiometer (keeping gain low)?