android
Old 09-27-2009, 12:02 PM

I can actually answer that, Olley. The Zune Marketplace is scheduled to go in November, and right now if you plug the Zune HD into the 360, you can access its music, videos, and pictures like you would a hard drive or media server.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks, Josh. Now all I need is my Zune HD. Do you know if this works with older Zunes when they are plugged into the XBox?

Old 09-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Vision View Post
however today i feel angry and outraged after coming cross screen flickring issues on my zune hd.I had Been reading about it on engadget and seeing some videos on youtube, hoping that it wouldnt happen to me and thinking its just a few defective units, unfortunatly it hasnt been the case.I hope zune team is already looking into the problem.
Hi Re-Vision - thanks for your note, and I'm sorry that your earlier feelings of satisfaction are no longer the case. I can tell you that we've not been seeing widespread flicker cases, but I know we're looking into the issue. If you are seeing different symptoms aside from what was reported here on ABI, please let me know.

Quote:
You've said numerous times that zune hd is media centric and yet you offer very few codecs, and saying apps dont have a priority, i think you contradict your own words, if im not mistaken,you've mentioned that the zune is going after a different target demographics not just the small 1% geek market,so how do you think your gonna convince the so called non-geek buyers to buy a device which does not have all the basic apps that ipod touch users have become so accustomed to
You're right - I've said that Zune HD is a media-centric device, and I think it offers most of the codecs that most people use. Certainly we don't (yet) have support for the long-tail codecs, but the majority of what our customers need, they have. And nobody is saying we're done with codec support either.

As for apps? Well, remember that we can't just launch with 75k apps. And as many apps as Apple has in their ecosystem, they didn't launch with apps or an SDK when the iPod Touch first came out. There is massive infrastructure required to support an app store. Now, we've made the decision that apps are a second priority to a killer media experience on the device. Could we have down-prioritized the UI, media experience and HDMI output in favor of increasing the priority of apps? Sure. But then we're not offering a differentiated product and we're just copying the market leader.

I would like to see more apps released faster - and in the future that will be the case - but for the time being we're making it very clear that if you're buying a Zune HD only for the apps experience, then be aware that your needs and our priorities don't align. You can argue that Microsoft's strategy is flawed, but right now that's a tough sell given we can't make the devices fast enough for retail. Those customers aren't buying the device for the app environment, but apps are a very nice feature to also have.

Quote:
I just have one question why were you hyping so much about launch day surprises, i dont seem to be suprised at all, by the lack of flash support,pdf doc file support, and lack of any real social app hint hint twitter and facebook, and no burnout/PGR game for launch day?
Well, there was a lot we didn't announce until launch day. Certainly apps were suspected but nothing announced. Twitter and Facebook coming to the platform was news. 3D gaming of the calibre of PGR was definitely not announced, Artist View on the device and the extent of the new features in the Zune software (SmartDJ) was news as well. So when people asked me whether we'd announced everything - I truthfully said no, feeling that much of the sizzle was yet to come.

Quote:
Hope to see more apps and games soon...soon i hope
I agree. And you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRead View Post
You say the device is about media first, and apps/games second. However, there are some apps that ARE media centric.
Very true. And I completely agree.

Quote:
Second, can you give us a timeframe that you guys are looking to release more apps or games? You've said you don't want to give away any secrets so competition doesn't get a hold of it, which makes sense, but I'm not looking for the names of any apps you're working on.
Well, there's giving away corporate secrets, and there's trickling out news which weakens the marketing department's ability to cut through the poweruser market and reach the mainstream public with blocks of news. At this point I can't say anything here - but will check in with the marketing folks to see what I can share with you.

But, there are new apps coming, yes.

Quote:
I do want to say thanks for even answering what you can around here. It's nice to feel like we are heard even a little bit in such a large company.
Happy to help - sorry I can't just blurt everything out, as much as I'd like to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
@Dave: I picked up an XBox yesterday since I had a discount card and a spare shelf in my component tower. It's done a few updates already for the new "experience", and overall I'm very impressed. There is nothing in it that I can find that refers to the Zune marketplace ... yet. Do you have any idea when the XBox and other pieces of the Zune ecosystem are scheduled to be in place? When my ZO finally shows up I'd love the pieces to be in place. I've ordered the HD dock and plan to park it right next to the XBox. Is there any Zune~XBox interplay/interaction yet?
Glad you got an Xbox - I have two in the house and don't play games! I use them exclusively as media boxes. The Zune Marketplace hasn't launched on Xbox yet - that's a couple of months away. You can go plug your Zune into your console today and play the content on the device back through your Xbox and home stereo though. Some games also allow you to pull music content from the device while you're playing I believe. I used to play my Zune through my Xbox/home stereo all the time before I got the AV dock - now I have an HD video experience while playing music, that is very cool.

But... wait until Zune Video Marketplace on Xbox comes out. The video experience is phenomenal.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Glad you got an Xbox - I have two in the house and don't play games! I use them exclusively as media boxes. You can go plug your Zune into your console today and play the content on the device back through your Xbox and home stereo though. I used to play my Zune through my Xbox/home stereo all the time before I got the AV dock - now I have an HD video experience while playing music, that is very cool.

But... wait until Zune Video Marketplace on Xbox comes out. The video experience is phenomenal. Cheers, Dave.
Is Microsoft even considering a credit card account option to their points system?

I can't get myself to not red flag when alternative pay schemes come up. I can't see any way they are good for ME. I don't PayPal for the same reason. If I have to go through points I won't be buying or renting any media from you folks. Yet I'd love to. This Xbox probably won't be my last. We entertain with music on our large deck. I have a cheap 3-CD player hooked up to good outdoor speakers at the moment, but it's limited to music from 3 CDs at a time. I'd love to move the 30" LG HDTV over to the deck window, then let my guests be able to pick their own songs/playlist(s) via my Zune Pass. We'll get the party dancing yet.

Last edited by Olley; 09-28-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Is Microsoft even considering a credit card account option to their points system?
I have no idea. I understand and share your feeling about points vs. cash - but as I explained in another thread - there are a bunch of reasons for it, and they're pretty fair reasons.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Buddy

Hi folks:

Just a heads up that starting Wednesday I'm going to be taking some vacation from work. I'll be off for~10 days, in for 3 days and then off for another ~10 days or so. I'll try to be online, but since this is for my wedding and then honeymoon - don't count on it.

Just didn't want you guys to think I'd vanished...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:57 AM

Congrats! Have fun, stay off here and relax!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Hi folks:

Just a heads up that starting Wednesday I'm going to be taking some vacation from work. I'll be off for~10 days, in for 3 days and then off for another ~10 days or so. I'll try to be online, but since this is for my wedding and then honeymoon - don't count on it.

Cheers, Dave.
I don't expect to see you online Dave... Go have fun
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 09-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hi folks:

Cheers, Dave.
Congrats and enjoy Dave....you've earned a vacation, IMO.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hi folks:

Cheers, Dave.
Hmmmm, I'd stay offline.... We want your marriage to last through the weekend Congrats and enjoy your honeymoon.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:45 AM

Hi, Dave,
Is it possible to make the browser to support unicode?

Thank you very much

Old 11-30-2009, 02:36 AM

Got a few questions for Dave....I know I'm going off topic..sorry....but I would like these answered:

1) Is there any possibility of the Zune HD getting flash support (even flash lite would be okay) and if "yes" can you give us any details?
2) How about apps for youtube and last.fm?
3) Any new games and apps in development?
4) An improvements for the web browser being worked on....and what about the problem with Wifi connectivity with certain networks?
5) Any news on codec support for Xvid/Divx?
6) An IM and email app would be nice...can you suggest that to the team developing the apps for the Zune HD? (would also appreciate an ebook reader)
7)Last but not least can you ask the firmware development team to ensure that at some stage (quicker the better) we get more customization option of the Zune HD...especially the background and EQ.

OK...I know that you won't be able to answer all the question due to various reason and I also know that you may be able to do all those suggestion I asked for...but I put them anyway (just in case)

This is me thanking dave in advance....

P.S... If you really want the Zune to outsell the Apple iPod then tell whoever is in charge of the Zune team that I told him to read the firmware wishlist posted on ABI and to advertise the Zune HD a bit more.......

Old 11-30-2009, 04:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You do realize Dave can't say anything about the future of the Zune HD that hasn't already been made public...right?

Old 11-30-2009, 04:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mster911 View Post
7)Last but not least can you ask the firmware development team to ensure that at some stage (quicker the better) we get more customization option of the Zune HD...especially the background and EQ.
Consider yourself lucky to have even gotten the EQ presets in the Zune:HD.....I wouldn't hold your breath over a customizable EQ.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:44 PM

Dave,
I know _you_ don't like inline remotes, but I use my mp3 player on the go, so I need one. This is the only reason I will not buy a ZuneHD. I can't believe it was overlooked. Any chance a future firmware update will allow the old remotes to work?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm3r View Post
Dave,
I know _you_ don't like inline remotes, but I use my mp3 player on the go, so I need one. This is the only reason I will not buy a ZuneHD. I can't believe it was overlooked. Any chance a future firmware update will allow the old remotes to work?
You can control the player from your pocket.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:34 PM

Is MS planning to delve more into the hardware market? I mean, I know they have Zune, and all those mice/keyboards, and xbox, but are they thinking about making their own computers, smartphones, etc? Or, if this is confidentialized, do you think they should?i

Old 12-02-2009, 05:37 PM

Default Zune HD Problem

I'm from Canada, and being a proud zune owner since 2006, I really wanted a Zune HD. So I went to the US and bought one. Within 2 weeks, It started getting light blue horizontal lines on the screen. I've called customer service and they can't replace it because I'm in Canada. I got a manual with my device that outlines the Canadian warranty on the device. I've Included scans of the manual.
Can anything be done?
Is this evidence of a possible Canadian (I know you can't answer that)?
By the way thanks so much for your support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZuneHDWarranty002.jpg (100.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ZuneHDWarranty003.jpg (99.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ZuneHDWarranty004.jpg (101.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ZuneHDWarranty005.jpg (94.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ZuneHDWarranty006.jpg (69.1 KB, 0 views)

Old 12-04-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
You can control the player from your pocket.
Are you sure? According to the engadget review (http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/17/zune-hd-review/):
Code:
Whle the UI is mostly good news, Microsoft made what we consider 
to be a pretty poor hardware and software choice with the use of its 
"media" button. Where you would expect a hardware volume rocker, the 
company provides a single click button which brings up your media 
navigation menu. Here you get options for back / forward and volume 
adjustment. Unfortunately, what that means is that every time you need 
to change the volume, you not only have to click this button, but you 
have to be looking at the screen, and be able to touch the plus or minus 
symbols. If you've ever walked down a busy street in New York and needed 
to turn your volume up or down, you'd know what a backwards experience 
this is. Having to use a two step process and look at the screen makes no 
real sense for something as basic as volume adjustment -- especially since 
the Zune HD provides no option for leveling your audio. A standard rocker 
would have been a much smarter choice, or even a dual-use rocker that 
served both purposes
Sounds like I have to hit this button, then view the volume and navigation options on
the screen, hardly controllable from your pocket. If that's not the case, please let me know!

And even so, my media player stays zipped up in my shoulder bag. All controls are done from an inline remote.

I'd love to buy this device, but usability is just too important.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm3r View Post
Are you sure? According to the engadget review (http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/17/zune-hd-review/):
Code:
Whle the UI is mostly good news, Microsoft made what we consider 
to be a pretty poor hardware and software choice with the use of its 
"media" button. Where you would expect a hardware volume rocker, the 
company provides a single click button which brings up your media 
navigation menu. Here you get options for back / forward and volume 
adjustment. Unfortunately, what that means is that every time you need 
to change the volume, you not only have to click this button, but you 
have to be looking at the screen, and be able to touch the plus or minus 
symbols. If you've ever walked down a busy street in New York and needed 
to turn your volume up or down, you'd know what a backwards experience 
this is. Having to use a two step process and look at the screen makes no 
real sense for something as basic as volume adjustment -- especially since 
the Zune HD provides no option for leveling your audio. A standard rocker 
would have been a much smarter choice, or even a dual-use rocker that 
served both purposes
Sounds like I have to hit this button, then view the volume and navigation options on
the screen, hardly controllable from your pocket. If that's not the case, please let me know!

And even so, my media player stays zipped up in my shoulder bag. All controls are done from an inline remote.

I'd love to buy this device, but usability is just too important.
After pressing the media control button you just slide your finger across the screen up and down or side to side to switch tracks. This can be done all in your pocket blindly.

Tags
dave, microsoft, questions, zune