android
Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 PM

Default RE ZUNE HD in Canada

If I buy a unit in the States and bring it to Canada will I be able to use it?
I understand I won't be able to use Marketplace?

Will I be able to load music on my Zune(CD Collection)?
Will I be able to update my firmware?

What won't I be able to do in Canada?

Does the Zune have adjustable EQ?

Any Idea when it will come to Canada?

Thanks\

Greg Joplin

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 AM
Banned

Dave , can you send the sugestion to them for a 5 heart rating. I might love a song but that doesn't mean i love it as much as the next one

Can you also pass on that we are interested in more solutions for the car. I'd love a nice 5 inch touch screen dash radio that the zune hooks up to and i can use the zune software on the dash radio. The ipod has options like that , the zune doesn't.

Also perhaps some clear silicone cases for those of us with zune originals ?

Thank you.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:44 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_headshot View Post
Lol something smells BURNED
Nothing burned. Probably more people do consume content in FLAC vs. WMA Lossless, but of course we're going to support our own high fidelity (and royalty free) codec before others. If the data is there to support adding features, then that carries a lot of weight with our product planners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joplin View Post
If I buy a unit in the States and bring it to Canada will I be able to use it?
I understand I won't be able to use Marketplace?

Will I be able to load music on my Zune(CD Collection)?
Will I be able to update my firmware?

What won't I be able to do in Canada?

Does the Zune have adjustable EQ?

Any Idea when it will come to Canada?
Yes, you can use a US Zune in Canada. There will be no Marketplace for you - but you can load your existing library of content (assuming not DRM'd), you can rip CDs, you can update your firmware, you can load pictures & video, etc...

You won't have the "Artist View" feature, you won't be able to buy/rent/stream content, etc...

The Zune has a series of EQ presets. No plans to come to Canada have been announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljvd View Post
Dave , can you send the sugestion to them for a 5 heart rating. I might love a song but that doesn't mean i love it as much as the next one

Can you also pass on that we are interested in more solutions for the car. I'd love a nice 5 inch touch screen dash radio that the zune hooks up to and i can use the zune software on the dash radio. The ipod has options like that , the zune doesn't.

Also perhaps some clear silicone cases for those of us with zune originals ?
The absence of a star rating system has been discussed for a while - we originally had one, then moved to hearts. The hearts move (being a step in the direction of simplicity) was well received, but there are plenty of die-hards who loved the old star system. I'll pass on your feedback.

Microsoft doesn't make car stereos, so I can't help you with your second request. We do make software that goes inside them (see: Ford SYNC). Other companies make the products you're after - yes, they often support iPod, but you're pitching the wrong guy to get Zune support. You need to contact Kenwood/Pioneer/Alpine/JVC/Dual/Sony/etc... and ask them to add Zune support.

I believe there will be clear silicone cases for those looking to show off your ZO colours...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 AM

hi dave! congrats on the launch can we expect the smart dj features on the zune player itself and not just the zune software?

Old 09-16-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonti View Post
hi dave! congrats on the launch can we expect the smart dj features on the zune player itself and not just the zune software?
That would be awesome -- I second your suggestion, tonti!

Old 09-16-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Yes, vaporware always has the best features.
Well, when this brand new, 1 day old device does 99% of devices I already own and is crippled in other areas (web browsing, flash), I can happily wait.

The HD Radio thing is a huge thing for me, I would almost buy one just to be able to have it in my car.
But the lack of line out mode means I have to buy a proprietary car dock and no AM (got to scratch my head on that one, plenty of good AM HD stations) squashes my hype.

And to use the other exclusive feature, HD video, I have to buy another add on. ($90)

Also, no one has mentioned the antenna quality. Inside my office with my HD set top, it is very hard to pick up stations on HD and that is with an antenna.

But, no one seems to have one yet to review.
This site has plenty of previews and HD tear downs, but actually reviewing one must be a chore.

Anyway, I'll happy smell the vapors until someone actually wants me to buy their product.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwall416 View Post
That would be awesome -- I second your suggestion, tonti!

I agree - that'd be huge. I find that the smart DJ is one of my new favorites -- being able to do it straight from the device would make it much easier than xferring all of these playlists..especially when I want to mix based on my mood at the time.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Now I forget where on this site, but someone was asking me about whether 16GB units will come in platinum and 32GB units will come in black. I just realized I never got to that question.

Yes - starting Tuesday you'll be able to order any combination of the 5 colours at launch, capacities and custom engraved artwork from Zune Originals.

See http://www.zune.net/en-us/press/2009...hdpreorder.htm for details.

Cheers, Dave.
Still waiting on an update on this. 32GB Black and 16GB of any color other than black didn't happen. Please find out if it will happen, and if so, when.

Also, please pass along to the Zune team that there are two huge deficiencies with the player that I'd like to see fixed before I consider buying one.

1 - please add in the option to force desktop websites over mobile. You guys already have it in the IE6 mobile version included with WM 6.5 (and it's in some WM 6.1 Pro phones today). No reason it can't be done on Zune.

2 - You guys forgot a codec, and I think that it's 3GP. I understand that you can't do Flash, and thus, desktop Youtube. However, without 3GP, you can't even do mobile youtube. My free phone does that, although with a smaller screen.

Those two fixes, and better availability of Zune originals across both capacities will go a long way in making me want to buy one.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Banned

medion i bet its a limited number of colored cases at the moment and that is why the cheaper 16 gig zune only has black. As production increases it sounds like they will be adding more colors to both sizes.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljvd View Post
medion i bet its a limited number of colored cases at the moment and that is why the cheaper 16 gig zune only has black. As production increases it sounds like they will be adding more colors to both sizes.
We'll see. It just bothers me that Dave said it WOULD be a certain way on the 15th, and it wasn't. That's why I want a response from him, to see if that is still the intent, or if what we have now is all that there will be for the immediate future.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:50 PM

My ONLY grip thus far (not meaning that I will have something to complain about in the future - this friggin Zune is great!) is that you can't get internet radio or streaming video on it. AT@T has a new website with tv and movies, but none of the content will play on the Zune.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
We'll see. It just bothers me that Dave said it WOULD be a certain way on the 15th, and it wasn't. That's why I want a response from him, to see if that is still the intent, or if what we have now is all that there will be for the immediate future.
Actually I responded to this specific question in another thread. I know it is hard to keep up with all this discussion...

I did check in with the Zune Originals team, and they informed me that demand far exceeded supply - or rather, their ability to custom manufacture. When you order from ZO, you're sending an order to the factory which then custom produces your order.

They've told me that they're working to manage the demand, and will absolutely have the colour/capacity combinations not currently available back online as fast as we can make them.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Actually I responded to this specific question in another thread. I know it is hard to keep up with all this discussion...

I did check in with the Zune Originals team, and they informed me that demand far exceeded supply - or rather, their ability to custom manufacture. When you order from ZO, you're sending an order to the factory which then custom produces your order.

They've told me that they're working to manage the demand, and will absolutely have the colour/capacity combinations not currently available back online as fast as we can make them.

Cheers, Dave.
First of all, thank you very much, Dave, for all of the input you have with everything zHD.

Secondly, I am SO glad I didn't decide to go the ZO route when I lost my preorder with BB.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Cheers, Dave.
I'm sorry Dave, but that makes no sense. The guts are the same size, and the shells are the same size. If I can order a 16GB in black, then I should be able to order a 32GB in black. Is there any reason the shell can't be put on the 32GB? Is there a size difference we're not aware of? Please, don't assume that we're as dumb as Apple's fans

Also, I'll repeat the other parts that I had posted, in case you missed them.

Quote:
Also, please pass along to the Zune team that there are two huge deficiencies with the player that I'd like to see fixed before I consider buying one.

1 - please add in the option to force desktop websites over mobile. You guys already have it in the IE6 mobile version included with WM 6.5 (and it's in some WM 6.1 Pro phones today). No reason it can't be done on Zune.

2 - You guys forgot a codec, and I think that it's 3GP. I understand that you can't do Flash, and thus, desktop Youtube. However, without 3GP, you can't even do mobile youtube. My free phone does that, although with a smaller screen.

Those two fixes, and better availability of Zune originals across both capacities will go a long way in making me want to buy one.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by medion View Post
I'm sorry Dave, but that makes no sense. The guts are the same size, and the shells are the same size. If I can order a 16GB in black, then I should be able to order a 32GB in black. Is there any reason the shell can't be put on the 32GB? Is there a size difference we're not aware of? Please, don't assume that we're as dumb as Apple's fans
You're assuming that the production line is fully manual. I honestly don't know how it works EXACTLY. I've been to the factory, but not watched a ZO order come in, etc...

I DO know that the production line is flat out keeping up with regular retail demand. I know that we've allocated a certain percentage of production capacity for ZO orders, and I know that for some colour/capacity combinations, we've sold out. The ZO team has told me that they're adjusting production capacity to accommodate demand and that they're pushing as hard and fast as they can.

You should absolutely NOT assume someone at the factory can pull a black 32GB unit off the line, run over to the etching machine, run it through the special firmware flashing process, and then get your particular order off.

This is a highly automated process, we're dealing with a very substantial number of orders PLUS we have manufacturing obligations for regular retail demand.

I'm not assuming you're dumb, just that you're unfamiliar with mass production or automated production techniques.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I'm not assuming you're dumb, just that you're unfamiliar with mass production or automated production techniques.
This is a fair assumption, and I thank you for the detailed explanation.

Now, I'll once again repost the other parts you conveniently keep missing

Quote:

Old 09-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Buddy

Oh ya - geez, I suck.

Okay - 1) this was a conscious decision the team made, but I agree that would be a good feature. I'll pass it along. 2) We didn't "forget" a codec - we elected to support a subset of the codecs that are available today, and 3GP didn't make the cut. No comment at this point on whether we'll add more codecs in the future. The beauty of software updates is that we are in a position to do that if needs be.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:15 PM

I just purchased the ZuneHD and it is a really amazing device. The screen is sublime and the UI really takes advantage of it.

My one problem is that I have an Altec Lansing iM414 that I used with my zune30 and zune80. It doesn't work with the ZuneHD. It will charge it but it does not play any audio.

I was wondering if this could be fixed with a firmware update? Or is this a hardware problem and I will have to purchase another speaker dock?

Old 09-16-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Oh ya - geez, I suck.
Nah, you've got a lot on your plate right now, I understand

Quote:
1) this was a conscious decision the team made, but I agree that would be a good feature. I'll pass it along.
Thank you. I won't debate why they came to that decision, since that would be pointless. However, I would like you to pitch it to them as "leave it as it is by default, and make this an option for the user." Maybe they'll be able to tolerate that

Quote:
2) We didn't "forget" a codec - we elected to support a subset of the codecs that are available today, and 3GP didn't make the cut. No comment at this point on whether we'll add more codecs in the future. The beauty of software updates is that we are in a position to do that if needs be.
The problem right now is that YouTube support is very high in demand for devices with a nice screen and connectivity. In order to support Youtube, you need either Flash, or 3GP. With 3GP, you can put it in a sandbox, so to speak, making it available only for the web browser and/or a YouTube app. This way, you don't have to worry about users playing 3GP videos on the media player.

I'm sorry, but it seems like it was "forgotten," because I just don't think that any team that did their research for a product like this could actually be dumb enough to deliberately not include it. This is like when Nintendo "forgot" to include a headphone jack with the first Nintendo DS, or now with Apple making the new Nano, giving it a camera that can take video but no still shots.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned

Dave can you give us an idea of how often we will see new apps or if any more are coming this month ?

Also tell them to get on peggle asap !

Tags
dave, microsoft, questions, zune