android
Old 09-13-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangesweet View Post
You know, Bing is an offensive word in Korean..
... and is gaelic for "thy turkey's done"
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-13-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
... and is gaelic for "thy turkey's done"
I'm not trying to get into an argument but I was just responding to what you refer as MS choosing a word that doesn't bash certain culture.

MS did not use Gaelic for any of their product. Korea is pretty much MS' slave.. IE marketshare is up in the 90% and probably less than 1% uses Mac. I don't think they cared about cultural issue when they named Bing. That's all I wanted to say.

Thank you.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:47 AM

They used 'Bing' because its 1) short, 2) 1 syllable, 3) sounds similar to 'ping' which is part of the marketing of quick searches with lots of info, and sounds similar to a small bell. All i can think of is Ned Ryarson from Groundhog Day saying BING!

Hey Dave, will the IE browser support tabbed browsing?
I hope this hasnt been overlooked as every serious mobile browser these days has it. (Pocket IE 6on6 for WM6.5 doesnt either, but then again, nobody takes Pocket IE seriously right now because of things like no tabbed browsing)

Does the browser have support for plugins such as flash or silverlight?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ioncloud9 View Post
They used 'Bing' because its 1) short, 2) 1 syllable, 3) sounds similar to 'ping' which is part of the marketing of quick searches with lots of info, and sounds similar to a small bell. All i can think of is Ned Ryarson from Groundhog Day saying BING!

I hope this hasnt been overlooked as every serious mobile browser these days has it. (Pocket IE 6on6 for WM6.5 doesnt either, but then again, nobody takes Pocket IE seriously right now because of things like no tabbed browsing)

Because I don't think that many people use IE Mobile on their Windows Mobile phone. I use Opera Mobile on my WM phone and I think free SkyFire is better than IE Mobile, seriously. I'm really looking forward to Zune modified IE Mobile version though.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I think it's already been mentioned that there is no FLASH support. Things may have changed since then. Creative announced recently they will have FLASH on the Zii. Perhaps that will motivate both MS and Apple to add it to their portable browsers.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:39 AM

There is Flash Lite support on the IE6 browser on WM6.5, but it suffers from underpowered phones trying to run it. Im really more interested in the tabbed browsing since all the videos havent had any tab icons or anythingto suggest it. However it seems like there is enough room on the bottom to add a tab button.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

These small screens need all their room just to render something worth reading on a web page. It won't surprise me if there are no tabs simply because space is tight. The Touch opens new pages which you can slide back and forth between. I'd be happy with that strategy. Using the power of the tegra this page swapping "could" be done graphically interesting, perhaps like flipping pages in a book. I like the Samsung P2 and P3's text readers for that feature, and know the Zune HD could render it even smoother.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:13 PM

What do you mean no room? There is plenty of room right next to the Back and Favorites buttons for a tab button! The whole bottom bar is open!

Old 09-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Any room used for tabs or buttons is room you won't see the web page on. That's all I'm saying. I'd like web pages on the Zune HD to fill up the whole 480 x 272 screen, with options only appearing overlayed when you hit the side button. In any case, we'll know if the browser is good or bad within a few days.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmwyso View Post
Dave, why was the name "zune" chosen?
A bunch of work went into choosing a name that was short, easy to remember, had rhyming associations with "tune", had a unique letter (z, x, etc...) up front and passed all geo-political testing (offensive in foreign regions, domain name availability, etc...).

Quote:
Dave, you still don't want to tell us about the multi-language keyboard on browser?.
What languages? Like accents and umlauts, or Korean/Chinese, etc...? There isn't an Asian keyboard if that's what your asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Do you know anything else about this post made by Olley?:
__________________________________________________ __________
In my email was this notice. It looks like far more than just a new device will be launched on Tuesday. Can't wait.
Yup - to support all the new features in the ecosystem we're launching on Tuesday, we need to bring the system down for an upgrade. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John566 View Post
Please let us know about the inline remote if you can.
There's no inline remote. IMHO those things drive me nuts.

Quote:
<snip>
At launch the browser will not support tabbed browsing nor Flash/Silverlight.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks, Dave! Do you have permission to leak a little more since we're in the final days before launch? We've seen it playing games. How many will the launch version have onboard maybe? Secondly, did MS get paid a promotional fee by the record label to put specific "free" demo songs on the HD? Third, Have you slept any in the last 48 hours? Lastly, how's your fiancee dealing with this business crush?

Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Why isn't FLAC supported? After searching through the thread, it seems that you're ignoring that question

Old 09-13-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post

At launch the browser will not support tabbed browsing nor Flash/Silverlight.

Cheers, Dave.
Are there plans to do this? Seeing as Safari, Opera 9.5 have tabbed browsing, it seems like.. not a good idea that it wont launch with them.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are there plans to do this? Seeing as Safari, Opera 9.5 have tabbed browsing, it seems like.. not a good idea that it wont launch with them.
He said: *At launch*

Old 09-13-2009, 05:10 PM

Dave,

Do you know the maximum and minimum recommended storing temperatures for the HD? I tend to forget my device in the car which means it could be in an incredibly hot car in the summer or a below zero car in the winter.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 PM

They Dave,

Is it be possible at 12:01 a.m. the 15th to start answering all of our questions you couldn't answer? Or do you have to wait until a certain time on the 15th?

Cory

Old 09-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppizzippo View Post
They Dave,

Is it be possible at 12:01 a.m. the 15th to start answering all of our questions you couldn't answer? Or do you have to wait until a certain time on the 15th?

Cory
LOL!!!!!! Good question,....................

Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post

What languages? Like accents and umlauts, or Korean/Chinese, etc...? There isn't an Asian keyboard if that's what your asking.

Cheers, Dave.
That sucks. As much as I know, forums like this in Korea are flocking about purchasing Zune HD and having them shipped to Korea, which likely will cost more than $400 for 32GB after custom fees/service fees that help them bring it to Korea, but many already have done that so far.

Any possible upgrade for those keyboards in the future?

Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 PM

sad thing that it will be 3:00 a.m. here in Indiana when he could start talking. I hope he will start spilling the beans at midnight. Maybe we should start a list of things we want answered at midnight.

Dave you up for it?

Old 09-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
That sucks. As much as I know, forums like this in Korea are flocking about purchasing Zune HD and having them shipped to Korea, which likely will cost more than $400 for 32GB after custom fees/service fees that help them bring it to Korea, but many already have done that so far.

Any possible upgrade for those keyboards in the future?
Samsung M1

Tags
dave, microsoft, questions, zune