android
Old 08-29-2009, 06:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post
IM is available right now with XNA on current Zune. but it is just Zune to Zune and 30 feet far
Oh geez, that sux!!!! Glad I only installed games & that's it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-29-2009, 11:28 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPotato View Post
to clarify, the $50 gift certificate doesn't exist. this was my wishful thinking of how MS could/can make things right with a "day 1"
Zune 30 user.

*i called Zune customer service and they couldn't answer my delivery question*

Old 08-29-2009, 04:45 PM

The specs sheet for the Zune HD says it only supports JPEG pictures; is that really the case? It seems a bit silly it wouldn't support at least PNG and/or bitmaps as well.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post
IM is available right now with XNA on current Zune. but it is just Zune to Zune and 30 feet far
wat??? I don;t get you. so you mean IM is available for Zunes rite now?

Old 08-29-2009, 08:44 PM

Yes... using zunes, and only having a range of 30 feet...

Wouldn't really call that IM!
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 08-30-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeToS View Post
The specs sheet for the Zune HD says it only supports JPEG pictures; is that really the case? It seems a bit silly it wouldn't support at least PNG and/or bitmaps as well.
Good question. As PMPs go, it wouldn't be surprising if it only worked with JPG. The Cowon S9 only takes JPGs. However, the device does have a web browser, doesn't it? You'd think as a requirement to display most (all) websites properly, the common image formats would need support.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzylightning View Post
Good question. As PMPs go, it wouldn't be surprising if it only worked with JPG. The Cowon S9 only takes JPGs. However, the device does have a web browser, doesn't it? You'd think as a requirement to display most (all) websites properly, the common image formats would need support.
Just cause it only supports .jpeg for pics doesn't mean it won't display .gifs and such in the web browser. Those are 2 different issues. I highly doubt the browser will suck like that. I have my own personal issues w/the Z:HD, but that won't be 1 of them.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:17 AM

Another strange thing about the Specs sheet, is that it says it support WMA Lossless audio up to 784kbps. WMA Lossless uses a non adjustable variable bitrate that at times will go up to 800-1000kbps depending on the complexity of the audio. It makes no sense to make a limit of 784kbps when the user has no control over it.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Samsung Moderator

Probably just a typo or there to give an approximation of size for the uninformed user. When I bought an mp3 player a while back, it had a similar specification for FLAC but didn't actually care what the actual bitrate was during playback.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:02 PM

Default 48 vs 44.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
Another strange thing about the Specs sheet, is that it says it support WMA Lossless audio up to 784kbps. WMA Lossless uses a non adjustable variable bitrate that at times will go up to 800-1000kbps depending on the complexity of the audio. It makes no sense to make a limit of 784kbps when the user has no control over it.
WMA Lossless: 2 channel up to 768 kbps and 48 kHz <--From the Spec Sheet.

I assume the 768kbps and 48KHZ are together, allowing a higher rate with a slower clock at 44.1KHZ. Just my guess.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppizzippo View Post
WMA Lossless: 2 channel up to 768 kbps and 48 kHz <--From the Spec Sheet.

I assume the 768kbps and 48KHZ are together, allowing a higher rate with a slower clock at 44.1KHZ. Just my guess.
I think its a typo, there is no WMA lossless encoder that allows a 48kHz sample rate to my knowledge. That has always been one of the disadvantages of WMA lossless, that the codec doesn't have any tweak able options like Flac or Ape. Not even through the Zune Software. Even if you could encode the sample rate at 48kHz, there is still no way to determine the bit rate so a 784kbps 48kHz limitation would defeat the purpose of having lossless audio.

Perhaps Dave can explain?

Old 08-30-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I think its a typo, there is no WMA lossless encoder that allows a 48kHz sample rate to my knowledge. That has always been one of the disadvantages of WMA lossless, that the codec doesn't have any tweak able options like Flac or Ape. Not even through the Zune Software. Even if you could encode the sample rate at 48kHz, there is still no way to determine the bit rate so a 784kbps 48kHz limitation would defeat the purpose of having lossless audio.

I use winamp on my work pc and it has settings for 48khz.

Cory

Old 08-30-2009, 03:44 PM

Thats interesting, I never checked Winamp. But the question remains, if you put limitations on the bitrate then is the audio still lossless?

Old 08-30-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Thats interesting, I never checked Winamp. But the question remains, if you put limitations on the bitrate then is the audio still lossless?

From how i understand it there would be a number that at that point would no longer add any more qualty.
I agree <800khz seems too low. Maybe Dave can get us the specs for each codec with all availabe clock speeds. Thanks Dave for all your help!!!

Cory

Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 AM

Hey Dave,

Have you been receiving firmware updates on your Zune HD? If so, what version number are you using right now? How many Microsoft employees such as yourself have had their own Zune HD to play with these last weeks? Who else does Microsoft rely on to Beta test these versions of firmware? Are there features on your specific Zune HD which have not been listed in specifications made known to the public so far?

Thanks. When I was a little kid my Dad told me I asked too many questions . . .

Last edited by Moki; 08-31-2009 at 04:52 AM.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moki View Post
Are there features on your specific Zune HD which have not been listed in specifications made known to the public so far?
He's mentioned that there are some features (and/or services?... Netflix?) that haven't been confirmed yet until launch. I'm personally rooting for Netflix now that on-the-go playlists and EQ have been confirmed.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:39 PM

I would love some netflix on the ZHD, even if it was just a way for me to manage my Q. I've notice Dave hasn't been on lately, I wonder if he's super busy getting things finished up. The 15th can't come soon enough for us, too quick from the Zune team I bet.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Buddy

Hi all - sorry for the cone of silence lately...

Quote:
I've notice Dave hasn't been on lately, I wonder if he's super busy getting things finished up. The 15th can't come soon enough for us, too quick from the Zune team I bet.
Ya, I've been pretty heads down lately plus I was out all weekend at a wedding up on Orcas Island north of Seattle. No internet and not a lot of cellphone coverage either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPotato View Post
Hey Dave, not sure if you're allowed to tell me this, but is the web browser like a.... full one? Like for example it can go on facebook, but not the mobile one?
Yup, the browser can view full web pages - although remember that some sites might elect to direct you to their mobile site if you come in on the Zune browser. That's a decision that websites will make - I assume most won't, but some will build a more specialized and appropriate site for the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
May you please put in the word to get the Zune music store to include music encodings of WMA 10pro 256kbps 2-pass CBR. If this happens then I would be buying all my music from the Zune store. After my findings on how transparent 2-pass WMA 10pro at 256kbps is I don't won't to go back to mp3. Remember it must be WMA 10pro, it must be 2-pass, and it must be 256kbps.
Well, I'll mention it to the team, but Microsoft isn't the company that does all the conversion of content to digital form AND I bet there would be enormous cost in going back and re-encoding content that is already in the library...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
It's a HUGE mistake to not have a quick way to pause a player. Anyone who has had a player with dedicated play/pause will understand. How does this not show up when studying the competition?
So, remember - that was just my guess. I really don't know, and I haven't distracted our incredibly busy team right now with finding out. But to comment specifically on your last point - the competition doesn't have dedicated buttons for pause either. In using the device, I've not had a problem with the button layout or functionality at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan12R View Post
I also find this to be curious. Isn't there a lock on the device like on all the past Zunes (not necessarily a physical switch, but some sort of lock)?
No - no lock button, just a soft power off button (which does effectively the same thing).

Quote:
PS Perhaps Dave has had some experience using his ZHD in the car one handed? How did it work out?
Yup, use it in my car every day. Definitely fewer button presses than a Nokia phone, and one handed use is good. I don't need to look at the screen to do what I need to do.

Quote:
Oh yeah, and does the HD Dock have an optical output?
Yes, it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalbagli View Post
Dave is microsoft going to make zune hd compatible with Mac OSX anytime soon?Beacuse I really would like a zune but I use MAC
Sorry nalbagli - nothing I can comment on here I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzune2 View Post
2 questions Dave....
1. I thought i was going to a preview of the Zune at Best Buy(Houston) this past weekend(8/22), but the MS rep no-showed at both stores. Where do i get my $50 gift certificate for the Zune player for being stood up twice?
2. When you pre-order, does the Zune HD arrive at your door on 9/15?
Not to disperse blame because I am sorry you didn't get to see the device last weekend - but the demo folks were not MS employees. Just FYI. There's no gift certificates, but I will let the marketing team know that the Houston store demo staff didn't show up. Do you know that to be the case over the entire weekend?

As for pre-orders, it depends on whom you order from. I know some folks were hoping to get their shipments in and processed fast enough to turn them around for a 9/15 delivery. Nobody (that I'm aware of) is making commitments around this, but most are trying to land the devices on doorsteps on 9/15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moki View Post
Have you been receiving firmware updates on your Zune HD? If so, what version number are you using right now? How many Microsoft employees such as yourself have had their own Zune HD to play with these last weeks? Who else does Microsoft rely on to Beta test these versions of firmware? Are there features on your specific Zune HD which have not been listed in specifications made known to the public so far?
Let's see - yes, can't say, hundreds (and for some of us, much longer than a few weeks), other employees & vendors, yes.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:19 PM

These unheard of features is really what's getting me excited. The device by itself is amazing, I loved the Zune 80 I had...before the screen cracked from the sync cable.... But the more features the merrier!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Buddy

Quote:

I asked one of our developers, and here is the answer I got:

Quote:
That’s not a true statement. With Quality VBR mode set in Windows Media Encoder ( 9 series…which has been out for 5+ years ) there are several sampling rate options for WMA Loseless, from 44.1 to 96, including 48kHz:

• VBR Quality 100, 48 kHz, 2 channel 24bit VBR
• VBR Quality 100, 48 kHz, 5.1 channel 24bit VBR

Could be that this person is just using an encoding application that doesn’t expose this sampling rate. This does not mean that the codec ( encoder and decoder ) can’t handle or support.
Cheers, Dave.

Tags
dave, microsoft, questions, zune