android
Old 08-26-2009, 11:35 PM

Hey Dave, not sure if you're allowed to tell me this, but is the web browser like a.... full one? Like for example it can go on facebook, but not the mobile one?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 AM

Hi Dave, I recently found out that 2-pass wma 10 pro is the best codec for high bitrates. Specifically, 2-pass WMA 10pro 256kbps is virtually completely transparent. Download the results here.

I have a request. I understand that most likely this request would not be met. But if not then it's ok I'll just buy more of my music in CD form and convert it to the specific form myself.

Here's the request:

May you please put in the word to get the Zune music store to include music encodings of WMA 10pro 256kbps 2-pass CBR. If this happens then I would be buying all my music from the Zune store. After my findings on how transparent 2-pass WMA 10pro at 256kbps is I don't won't to go back to mp3. Remember it must be WMA 10pro, it must be 2-pass, and it must be 256kbps.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Volume/next track are not items you want to accidentally tap, whereas that's less of a problem for shuffle/repeat toggle. I'm guessing that's the thinking. Cheers, Dave.
If that was their logic then they need to go back to school. An accidental volume + or - has never been more annoying than having to ALWAYS tap once just so I can tap again to change volume. If it's a capacitive screen, then nothing that touches the screen except a live part of my body is going to be detected by the HD. An accidental track change is more annoying, but all you have to do is allow a left or right swipe be the touch trigger so an accidental tap can't. Pause is the one thing I hit most often on my other players, mainly when the phone rings or the doorbell or my wife wants to chat. It's a HUGE mistake to not have a quick way to pause a player. Anyone who has had a player with dedicated play/pause will understand. How does this not show up when studying the competition?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
If that was their logic then they need to go back to school. An accidental volume + or - has never been more annoying than having to ALWAYS tap once just so I can tap again to change volume. If it's a capacitive screen, then nothing that touches the screen except a live part of my body is going to be detected by the HD. An accidental track change is more annoying, but all you have to do is allow a left or right swipe be the touch trigger so an accidental tap can't. Pause is the one thing I hit most often on my other players, mainly when the phone rings or the doorbell or my wife wants to chat. It's a HUGE mistake to not have a quick way to pause a player. Anyone who has had a player with dedicated play/pause will understand. How does this not show up when studying the competition?
X2

Old 08-27-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
Hi Dave, I recently found out that 2-pass wma 10 pro is the best codec for high bitrates. Specifically, 2-pass WMA 10pro 256kbps is virtually completely transparent. Download the results here.

I have a request. I understand that most likely this request would not be met. But if not then it's ok I'll just buy more of my music in CD form and convert it to the specific form myself.

Here's the request:

May you please put in the word to get the Zune music store to include music encodings of WMA 10pro 256kbps 2-pass CBR. If this happens then I would be buying all my music from the Zune store. After my findings on how transparent 2-pass WMA 10pro at 256kbps is I don't won't to go back to mp3. Remember it must be WMA 10pro, it must be 2-pass, and it must be 256kbps.
I would also ask if we could have more advanced WMA PRO ripping options in WMP too. Would be nice to push higher than 192k.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:51 AM

With less than a month to go. Have there been any official spec sheets posted. Microsoft's so called official Zune HD site is hugely uninformative.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
With less than a month to go. Have there been any official spec sheets posted. Microsoft's so called official Zune HD site is hugely uninformative.
Yes: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/2270/zunehd/zunehdspecs.pdf.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:

I also find this to be curious. Isn't there a lock on the device like on all the past Zunes (not necessarily a physical switch, but some sort of lock)? So if I have problems with that sort of thing happening, I should be able to just lock the player and go. In fact, if my Zune is ever in my pocket, I just lock it to avoid that sort of thing already. I use my Zune a lot in my car where I have a mount for it. Making next track and that stuff easy to get to is really helpful for me.

I imagine it's getting to the point where it might be too late to get this squared away before launch and I suppose there is the chance that I might change my mind when I get my hands on the device, but perhaps this is something that could be addressed in the first firmware update.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:09 PM

I currently use my Nokia N800 as my main mp3 player, and in the car I always lock the screen, which requires 2 physical button presses, and unlock, which also requires 2 physical button presses, between track changes, it is super annoying. I will have to try the ZHD to know for sure but I'd say I'll probably have the same problem. The touch screen on the N800 is reactive to any object that touches it so I may not need to lock the ZHD between track changes so one physical button may work out fine. Can't wait to try it out.

Cory

PS Perhaps Dave has had some experience using his ZHD in the car one handed? How did it work out?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
+3

Civil discourse pwnage!!

Old 08-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post

I was told that the less they tell is the more you are interested ...

Funny huh ?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:31 PM

Dave, will an inline remote acessory be available for the Zune HD? Just a simple one with volume controls and rewind, play/pause, fast forward. It would solve the problems with the track shuttles.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM

Oh yeah, and does the HD Dock have an optical output?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe Dave already mentioned the dock has HDMI and SPDIF optical 5.1 outputs.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Dave is microsoft going to make zune hd compatible with Mac OSX anytime soon?Beacuse I really would like a zune but I use MAC

Thanks

Old 08-28-2009, 04:23 PM

since it has apps......does anyone think IM will be available?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:49 PM

2 questions Dave....
1. I thought i was going to a preview of the Zune at Best Buy(Houston) this past weekend(8/22), but the MS rep no-showed at both stores. Where do i get my $50 gift certificate for the Zune player for being stood up twice?
2. When you pre-order, does the Zune HD arrive at your door on 9/15?

Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzune2 View Post
2 questions Dave....
1. I thought i was going to a preview of the Zune at Best Buy(Houston) this past weekend(8/22), but the MS rep no-showed at both stores. Where do i get my $50 gift certificate for the Zune player for being stood up twice?

huh you get a $50 gift certificate for the Zune Player? wat do you mean by that?

it arrives at whereever you pre-ordered it to.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPotato View Post
. Originally Posted by captainzune2
2 questions Dave....

huh you get a $50 gift certificate for the Zune Player? what do you mean by that?

it arrives at wherever you pre-ordered it to.
fixed!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
since it has apps......does anyone think IM will be available?
IM is available right now with XNA on current Zune. but it is just Zune to Zune and 30 feet far

Tags
dave, microsoft, questions, zune