android
Old 08-23-2009, 09:32 AM

Default fjdfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Absolutely. I'm also curious why it is such a resource hog for some users and not others. I don't have that problem (wouldn't ya know it!), but it's clear some users do.

And yes, improvements are being made in this area.

Cheers, Dave.
Okay, playing 320kbps MP3, it's using 50MB RAM, 2~5% CPU.
On another player, MusikCube, it would be using <15MB RAM. It would also be using <10MB RAM on Foobar.
I'm running Windows 7 (7100).
I mean, I'm not using the difference in RAM, so it doesn't prove to be a huge problem. I got tired of keeping two libraries, so I just use Zune now.

Also, on a side(ish) note, is there any way to turn off the shadow? It keeps redrawing over applications 'till I just have a massive black border.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-24-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
From what I've experienced, it's the added Aero implentation features in the Zune software that turns it into a beast. So on systems not powerful enough to run Aero, it works just fine. Unfortunately for the systems that work well enough to run Aero, but aren't state of the art, the story changes.
Hmmm that makes sense on Vista and 7 but I'm running XP on both machines

Dave do you know if the Zune team software members will fix the bug where heart ratings don't sync back to the software? I remember Matt Akers mentioned on the zune.net forums they were able to replicate the issue in-house but didn't see any word on a fix. I guess I could just PM him the question if you don't know.

Last edited by Machiventa; 08-24-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
Dave do you know if the Zune team software members will fix the bug where heart ratings don't sync back to the software? I remember Matt Akers mentioned on the zune.net forums they were able to replicate the issue in-house but didn't see any word on a fix. I guess I could just PM him the question if you don't know.
Wouldn't you know it - I accidentally left my Zune HD device home today, so can't check and let you know... Will try tonight.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I accidentally left my Zune HD device home today... Cheers, Dave.
Are you sure you didn't hand carry your Zune HD down to Australia and leave it with Copeys?

All kidding aside, how long have you had your Zune HD?
Is this the only Zune HD you've had?
Will you be trading it in for one of the color options? If so, what color?
How is your Zune HD holding up with use over time?

Old 08-24-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Are you sure you didn't hand carry your Zune HD down to Australia and leave it with Copeys?
If only... lol
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 08-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Buddy

Quote:
All kidding aside, how long have you had your Zune HD?
Is this the only Zune HD you've had?
Will you be trading it in for one of the color options? If so, what color?
How is your Zune HD holding up with use over time?
I've had my device for about 2-3 months now. It is not the only Zune HD I've had. It is a test device, so I will have to swap it out for a production unit if I want to use it with my "normal" Zune Pass account, and it has held up great. I often put it in the same pocket as my keys - which completely tore up my last iPhone, but the Zune is doing really well appearance-wise.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:35 PM

is the screen made out of the same glass as the zune 80/120?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Along the same lines, have you used any sort of screen protectors with any of your Zune HDs, DaveMac-MS? Do you know (from personal experience or otherwise) whether or not they affect the responsiveness of the touchscreen?

Old 08-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcman View Post
is the screen made out of the same glass as the zune 80/120?
Couldn't say for sure - it looks pretty similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Along the same lines, have you used any sort of screen protectors with any of your Zune HDs, DaveMac-MS? Do you know (from personal experience or otherwise) whether or not they affect the responsiveness of the touchscreen?
I don't use a screen protector on mine, but I did play with a device that had one the other day, and it worked fine. They're specially designed to work with capacitive screens and I didn't notice any degradation in responsiveness.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I don't use a screen protector on mine, but I did play with a device that had one the other day, and it worked fine. They're specially designed to work with capacitive screens and I didn't notice any degradation in responsiveness.
Good to know. Thanks, Dave!

Old 08-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

21 days until the Zune HD hits the streets. We know the hardware is pretty much finished. They must be putting them in boxes by now.

I'm curious just how much more the software team(s) can get done before new owners are trying to update the firmware on their brand new Zune HDs.

So Dave... Could you ask a few of the Zune team members how many things are still on the to-do list? I don't need to know what those things are. I'll guess there are bug lists for main apps. Features to finalize. Maybe some amazing demo games. I'd just like to know if it's three weeks of all-nighters left, or if the release firmware is almost perfect.

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2009, 05:13 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
I often put it in the same pocket as my keys - which completely tore up my last iPhone, but the Zune is doing really well appearance-wise.
I was told that the Zune HD uses Corning's Gorilla Glass, the same as what is used in Cowon's S9- a thicker version though.

And for those who missed it- here is a test where i hacked into a Zune 120 with several sharp objects. From the screen durability test article.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't you know it - I accidentally left my Zune HD device home today, so can't check and let you know... Will try tonight.

Cheers, Dave.
Ah never mind it looks like Matt Akers already had addressed it and I just missed it:
Quote:
All I can say is that we are aware of the problem and are working to fix it for the next release. We've made A LOT of sync improvements, and this should be addressed as well. Sorry guys, I know it's a PITA.

My only thought is that somehow the partnership has gotten messed up such that the device stops reporting metadata back to the software. Forgetting and repartnering your device might help. If you are in sync all mode, this should be pretty painless.

Last edited by Machiventa; 08-25-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 AM

Dave, I've noticed one thing about the HD that I've just found curious. As I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong), in order to access things such as volume control, back track, and next track, we have to hit the side button to bring up these controls. Meanwhile things such as shuffle and repeat are front page. This is completely backwards from the current Zune setup where we can control volume and forward/back right from the control pad and would have to press the pad before accessing the (as I would imagine) less used controls of shuffle and repeat. The question I have was what was the thinking involved in setting it up this way?

Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan12R View Post
Dave, I've noticed one thing about the HD that I've just found curious. As I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong), in order to access things such as volume control, back track, and next track, we have to hit the side button to bring up these controls. Meanwhile things such as shuffle and repeat are front page. This is completely backwards from the current Zune setup where we can control volume and forward/back right from the control pad and would have to press the pad before accessing the (as I would imagine) less used controls of shuffle and repeat. The question I have was what was the thinking involved in setting it up this way?
Same question from me. Is the Zune HD looking to revolutionize the way we shuffle and repeat?

Old 08-26-2009, 01:39 PM

@ Dave: can you comment on either of the leaked Zune software 4.0 pictures? I understand the first one was yours... hope you didn't get in trouble.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
@ Dave: can you comment on either of the leaked Zune software 4.0 pictures? I understand the first one was yours... hope you didn't get in trouble.
that black zune software pictures is fake

Old 08-26-2009, 03:32 PM

@ Dave
First off thanks for all of your help and putting up with all the anxious zuners. I preordered mine this morning as soon as I got to work. I was wondering if launch day I will be able to pick up a case and other accessories or will I have to wait? Thanks!!!

Cory

Old 08-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Banned

Incipio got some silicone cases for the ZuneHD to the gdgt event back in July. Now, it is a matter if the stores will stock in Zune accessories. there are a few pictures around the web.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Buddy

Quote:
I'm curious just how much more the software team(s) can get done before new owners are trying to update the firmware on their brand new Zune HDs.

So Dave... Could you ask a few of the Zune team members how many things are still on the to-do list? I don't need to know what those things are. I'll guess there are bug lists for main apps. Features to finalize. Maybe some amazing demo games. I'd just like to know if it's three weeks of all-nighters left, or if the release firmware is almost perfect.
So work is continuing and the team is busy as can be. Right now we're working through final issues, putting the final polish on the experience, etc... I'm not sure the team is pulling all-nighters - but I know we've been ordering in dinner for the team for quite a while now, and this'll definitely continue through RTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan12R View Post
Dave, I've noticed one thing about the HD that I've just found curious.
<snip>
The question I have was what was the thinking involved in setting it up this way?
Volume/next track are not items you want to accidentally tap, whereas that's less of a problem for shuffle/repeat toggle. I'm guessing that's the thinking.

Quote:
Not a lot to say, really - that was my Twitter background picture for several months - I'd even forgotten I had it. Nope, no trouble at all - although I did call @brianseitz to check in with him in case he was concerned (he wasn't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppizzippo View Post
I was wondering if launch day I will be able to pick up a case and other accessories or will I have to wait? Thanks!!!
Yes, there'll be accessories (1st party and 3rd party) on launch day. Thanks for your pre-order!

Cheers, Dave.

Tags
dave, microsoft, questions, zune