android
Old 08-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
As for the comment about codecs or the absence of them - I would just remind you that the product isn't "done forever" upon shipping. I don't think folks would argue that we have a pretty good track record of firmware updates that add features and do so downlevel to legacy hardware too. No comment or commitment on what's coming in the future, but just remember that we've added stuff via firmware updates in the past - and we don't plan on standing still with this device.
So what you're saying is: Wait until the very end of the product's lifespan, and then evaluate whether or not to buy it. Will do!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think what he's trying to say is simply that the Zune HD is firmware updatable. You could buy one now and enjoy the features it has at the moment, with the potential that future updates will bring even more useful features. Or you can wait and see what happens to it over time, without "risking" any money or enjoying any of it's current features.

This is no different from what's happened to most of the recent flagship players from Samsung, Cowon, Apple, and so on. If anyone asks me I'll tell them to buy a player for the features it has when you buy it. If it gets better over time then that will only make you appreciate the player and it's manufacturer more. If you buy a player for what you hope it will become, and it never becomes that, then you've paid for your own disappointment.

With the Zune, at least MS has been gracious to update older models when a new model comes out. This track record is a good start, and I personally believe investing in a Zune HD right now isn't a bad risk. I hope they provide some amazing updates, as the processor inside has much more potential. I wouldn't be upset if they didn't though, as from what I've seen so far it looks like a great media player.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I think what he's trying to say is simply that the Zune HD is firmware updatable. You could buy one now and enjoy the features it has at the moment, with the potential that future updates will bring even more useful features. Or you can wait and see what happens to it over time, without "risking" any money or enjoying any of it's current features.

This is no different from what's happened to most of the recent flagship players from Samsung, Cowon, Apple, and so on. If anyone asks me I'll tell them to buy a player for the features it has when you buy it. If it gets better over time then that will only make you appreciate the player and it's manufacturer more. If you buy a player for what you hope it will become, and it never becomes that, then you've paid for your own disappointment.

With the Zune, at least MS has been gracious to update older models when a new model comes out. This track record is a good start, and I personally believe investing in a Zune HD right now isn't a bad risk. I hope they provide some amazing updates, as the processor inside has much more potential. I wouldn't be upset if they didn't though, as from what I've seen so far it looks like a great media player.
I know what he's trying to say, and I actually agree with you on pretty much every point -- especially the "buy for the features that exist now, not for a device's unmaterialized potential" bit. That's why I won't be buying a Zune HD anytime soon.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 PM

For all the people who say they don't want the software, just try it. It's not that bad.
And I think I remember Dave saying the newer version will be more resource friendly.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
I know what he's trying to say, and I actually agree with you on pretty much every point -- especially the "buy for the features that exist now, not for a device's unmaterialized potential" bit. That's why I won't be buying a Zune HD anytime soon.
I agree on this too, that the player is upgradable and Samsung is a good example with their P2, every Bluewave was an excitement but with the time going i expect players hitting the market with core features already in and i consider being able to read common HD files as a core feature for a product basing his entire communication on its ability to export Hd video to an HD TV.
I'm sure MS will give us some apps and games in some firmware updates because that's just the least you have to give nowadays.
Anyway we can argue about it but everything will be crystal clear in September, and i really don't think at the moment that the Zune will edge it.
I hope i'm wrong because it would only be a benefit for us, users.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
For all the people who say they don't want the software, just try it. It's not that bad.
And I think I remember Dave saying the newer version will be more resource friendly.
Absolutely. I'm also curious why it is such a resource hog for some users and not others. I don't have that problem (wouldn't ya know it!), but it's clear some users do.

And yes, improvements are being made in this area.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:05 PM

Any chance you can comment on the now playing screensaver as far as being similar to the desktop software where only a limited number of artists have the screensaver?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Absolutely. I'm also curious why it is such a resource hog for some users and not others. I don't have that problem (wouldn't ya know it!), but it's clear some users do.

Cheers, Dave.
I'd also like to know that because it runs just fine on my netbook. And it only has a 1.6GHz Intel Atom processor and 2GB of ram. Not to mention no dedicated graphics. And when I say it runs fine it runs perfectly better then any of my friends computers. I just don't understand the difference.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:07 AM

So there's no plan for drag & drop whatsoever?

Old 08-22-2009, 02:49 AM

I understand all the points explained by Dave.

I'll keep following the Zune and hope that we can see future devices use the software.

Then maybe someday, Cowon, Samsung or another manufacturer will release a high end player running the fancy Zune software, supporting more codecs and could be use with or without the Zune desktop software.

A Zune HD++ for us geeks.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:15 AM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangesweet View Post
So there's no plan for drag & drop whatsoever?
He's answered this several times. The Zune HD is a closed system, meaning it requires software, like all previous Zunes. This isn't going to change no matter how many times the question is asked and re-worded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lossendae View Post
I understand all the points explained by Dave.

I'll keep following the Zune and hope that we can see future devices use the software.

Then maybe someday, Cowon, Samsung or another manufacturer will release a high end player running the fancy Zune software, supporting more codecs and could be use with or without the Zune desktop software.

A Zune HD++ for us geeks.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Zune software be used with more devices in the future. We already know that Apple is looking to abandon the dedicated PMP market due to the success of the iPhone. MS has hinted in the past that they may also leave the Zune hardware market. Well, Zune software integration and Windows Mobile 7 have been said together a few times already. All indications are that the Zune HD is an early preview of some WM7 features, and that when WM-based phones come out, they might be used with the Zune Software, for those who want to use the music capabilities of their new phone.

We'll fine out late next summer I suppose.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I've got several players. Only the Zunes and iPod insist on their own software, and that software only recognizes the devices it was made for.
Other devices come with software of their own, but in every case will also work with Windows Media player. As such, WMP is the software I rely on for consistency. This ability to use players on the software of my choice is key to keeping things simple.

I like the Zune software, although with Aero turned on it crashes my video card. It tries to be TOO flashy, and this is when it hogs resources. I understand why MS wants to keep the Zunes tied to it, although I think that's narrow-minded thinking. What would help at least a little is ..... wait for it ....... is to make the Zune client see and allow syncing with ALL devices (except maybe iPods). I'd giving anything to have just ONE piece of software to manage all my devices with.

Olley

Old 08-22-2009, 02:39 PM

^ agreed. That would be awesome if they allowed all mtp devices to sync with it.

Quote:

Cheers, Dave.
My desktop with low specs runs fast and smooth, very few lags. But the software runs slower than molasses on my laptop with pretty awesome specs. Glad to hear about it being improved.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiventa View Post
^ agreed. That would be awesome if they allowed all mtp devices to sync with it.

My desktop with low specs runs fast and smooth, very few lags. But the software runs slower than molasses on my laptop with pretty awesome specs. Glad to hear about it being improved.
I think I figured it out! I runs perfectly on crappy hardware and badly and good hardware! It all makes perfect sense!

Old 08-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
I think I figured it out! I runs perfectly on crappy hardware and badly and good hardware! It all makes perfect sense!
CW, you lost me here bro,..........

Old 08-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
CW, you lost me here bro,..........
I believe CW has come down with a case of sarcasm...

Old 08-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Now I got it,............

Old 08-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Samsung Moderator

From what I've experienced, it's the added Aero implentation features in the Zune software that turns it into a beast. So on systems not powerful enough to run Aero, it works just fine. Unfortunately for the systems that work well enough to run Aero, but aren't state of the art, the story changes.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
From what I've experienced, it's the added Aero implentation features in the Zune software that turns it into a beast. So on systems not powerful enough to run Aero, it works just fine. Unfortunately for the systems that work well enough to run Aero, but aren't state of the art, the story changes.
That actually makes sense. I have found that our laptop which runs Vista runs horrible with Aero on, but OK with it off when running certain programs (IE etc)
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 08-23-2009, 08:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Dave,

Now that APPs and Games have been revealed, are there any amazing features left to be announced at the launch? You don't have to tell us what they are, of course.

Did Zune team members have to pay for their Zunes (I doubt it)?
Will you be trading yours in for a different color or capacity when they become available? If so, what's your preferred color and capacity?
Does more memory make any sense (to you) if you can stream all your music?

Thanks! Get some sleep.

Last edited by Olley; 08-23-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Tags
dave, microsoft, questions, zune