android
Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Amazon also lists the Zunes for the same prices, although the pre-order link isn't active yet. The 32gb price is $289.99 though. Sept. 8 looks pretty guaranteed now.

MS could still get pizzed at these leaks and change their plans though. We'll only know it happens when it happens.

Last edited by Olley; 08-11-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-11-2009, 11:38 AM

I doubt MS would change their plans because of a leak. Given the 20 million leaks (sorry, but it's probably true) the company's experienced in their history I've yet to see them change their plans due to a leak. MS has a good reason for picking those prices and that release date (assuming they're true) and I doubt they're going to change them because somebody beat them to announce it.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112wicked112 View Post
Dave, would I be dissapointed if I wanted to buy a zune hd on Sept. 8 in Canada?

I know I'm not Dave (though that is my middle name), I found this on the Futureshop forums.

http://www.futureshopforums.ca/futureshop/board/message?board.id=ipodandmp3players&thread.id=5656

(Go to bottom and see what DavidKasapchuk has to say.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Dave, any chance of Microsoft adding Mac support to the Zune software?

I'm looking at getting the 13-inch Macbook Pro and would love to be able to sync my Zune 80 without needing to use Boot Camp.

Dual booting just to sync a media player is a royal pain in the rear and a time waster.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Maybe when you see this....

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 08-11-2009 at 03:09 PM.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:06 PM

Dave, I am wondering if Windows Media Player Support will be expanded in the new Software release. Will Syncing be able to be done on any PC or just on PC's with Zune software? I know I might be asking too direct of a question but an answer/riddle would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112wicked112 View Post
Dave, would I be dissapointed if I wanted to buy a zune hd on Sept. 8 in Canada?
Sorry, nothing I can say here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
It's on the side of the device now...
That's correct (the "Hello from Seattle" is now on the side of the device).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Amazon also lists the Zunes for the same prices, although the pre-order link isn't active yet. The 32gb price is $289.99 though. Sept. 8 looks pretty guaranteed now.

MS could still get pizzed at these leaks and change their plans though. We'll only know it happens when it happens.
Yup, you should take nothing as gospel until we launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
No comment on what is coming, but the reason we haven't done it so far is pretty clear. With Mac OS market share as it is, odds are that Mac OS customers will use iTunes and quite likely have an iPod. I think that case is very slowly changing, but that's been the case thus far.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:39 PM

This is something I doubt you will be allowed to answer yet but is there any chance of a new version of the hard drive zunes being released or are they going to stay the same for the forseeable future?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacapuntas View Post
Dave, I am wondering if Windows Media Player Support will be expanded in the new Software release. Will Syncing be able to be done on any PC or just on PC's with Zune software? I know I might be asking too direct of a question but an answer/riddle would be greatly appreciated.
We currently have no support for Windows Media Player - the Zune device requires the Zune PC client to sync with (or at least to set up - you can sync via wi-fi once the device is configured). You should not expect Windows Media Player to become a sync client for Zune. You should expect other ways for the Zune ecosystem to expand (ie: Zune on Xbox in 18 countries coming up, is a first step).

Cheers, Dave.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
We currently have no support for Windows Media Player - the Zune device requires the Zune PC client to sync with (or at least to set up - you can sync via wi-fi once the device is configured). You should not expect Windows Media Player to become a sync client for Zune. You should expect other ways for the Zune ecosystem to expand (ie: Zune on Xbox in 18 countries coming up, is a first step).

Cheers, Dave.
What's your personal opinion about this fact? Do you think Microsoft should stick with two separate media players or integrate the features of the two into one product that is packaged with Windows? It seems kind of goofy that the WMP marketing team will want people to think you can (fake quote) "Sync all your devices with Windows Media Player (except our own)!"

edit:
Also, not sure if you can answer this one, apologies if not: Games have been confirmed by several employees already. Can you exit the games and return to another screen, or do you have to turn off the device when you're done playing like you do with the older Zunes?

Last edited by CheeToS; 08-11-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:54 PM

CheeToS, I wonder how much the recent EU deal with MSIE has to do with lack of support for Zune on WMP. Afterall, if Windows came with the software to sync the Zune, that might be viewed as an unfair market advantage. Not saying it is, but then I also think the whole MSIE thing is a joke. How is someone supposed to download a browser for their computer if they don't have one to begin with?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:02 PM

Dave, any chance we could get some side by side pics with the other Zunes. I'm curious about how this thing will compare to my 80 in size. (Or maybe someone knows of where we can see such shots already).

Old 08-11-2009, 11:01 PM

For us Canadians, I work at a major electronics retailer that will no doubt be carrying the Zune HD. I'll check on Friday to see if the Zune HD is in our systems. If there's any pricing, I will pass that along too.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damojo View Post
For us Canadians, I work at a major electronics retailer that will no doubt be carrying the Zune HD. I'll check on Friday to see if the Zune HD is in our systems. If there's any pricing, I will pass that along too.
This is the best shot I have seen so far...

Old 08-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Dave:
Does MS forsee high early demand for the Zune HD? Can we expect shortages before Christmas, or is production expected to be ramped up pretty high from the beginning?

Old 08-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Buddy

Well, there's not a lot I can say about our production schedule or manufacturing details that isn't confidential. I can say that we've been blown away by the interest and anticipation for this device, and I feel very confident that this interest significantly exceeds the pre-launch interest we've had prior to previous generation launches.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 PM

You answered my question without disclosing anything that you couldn't disclose. You are very good at this, hahaha.

BTW, I am no knocking ipods. Both my daughter and wife have one, and they love them. But there is still a demand for a really good ipod alternative for those who want a non-ipod for their own reasons, and it looks like that MS, of all companies, might have a device that really taps into that market.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Well, there's not a lot I can say about our production schedule or manufacturing details that isn't confidential. I can say that we've been blown away by the interest and anticipation for this device, and I feel very confident that this interest significantly exceeds the pre-launch interest we've had prior to previous generation launches.

Cheers, Dave.
Based on the response you've been getting on this forums among other places?

EDIT: Also I went today to work to make a staff purchase, I checked the inventory systems and as of yet, there is nothing about the Zune HD but our remaining Zunes (we have 3 8 gigs and 3 120gigs if I remember correctly) are on clearance. This means that A. We're clearing out our existing stock of Zunes to make room for a newer product or B. We're clearing them out and we shouldn't expect to get anymore at all. I did get a chance to talk to the manager of the department and he told me that the Zunes don't sell well and because of that we probably won't get the HD. I will definitely check again on Friday and whenever I have work.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 PM

P.S. to my last remark. I am not implying that there are not other good non-ipod units out there besides the Zune-HD. I have a Sandisk E280 that has been a workhorse for me over the last 3 years, and I know there are many others. That is what this website is all about.

What I mean is, that maybe the Zune HD is a unit that captures the interest of a wider audience than any of these other units have been able to so far. Also, Microsoft has the resources and deep pockets to promote it. It is nice to know that all of that dough I have shelled out for Windows and Office over the years may now be put to good use.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:16 AM
Banned

of course the interest is higher than last year because they are astroturfing much better and they developed a new device after 2 years to keep up with the current market.

Tags
dave, microsoft, questions, zune