android
Old 08-07-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potomac View Post
Dave,
Will the Zune team have any new responsibilities associated with Microsoft Retail.
Any insight how Zune may bring something different to Microsoft Retail stores?
Live in store music gigs streaming on Zune social?
Thanks, as always, your gracious and professional comments are appreciated.

Well, Zune will obviously be an important part of it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubdirthill View Post

Well, Zune will obviously be an important part of it.

Anything of those coming to Canada?

Old 08-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm guessing nashville was a business trip Dave, but did you get a chance to take in the Grand Ole Opry while you were there?

It looks like with the GDGT party and new photos from MS, that the ZuneHD is getting ready for prime time. I realize tweaks will be made right up to shipping time, but can you give us any indication if the formal introduction will happen in August, or are we still looking at a September release?

And when you meet the Zune team again, suggest they throw in iTunes syncing with the HD. I hear that really gets under Apple's skin.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:41 PM

I'm hearing that you are announcing the rest this Tuesday or next, is this true?

If not, when are you announcing? Why are you guys so secretive with this release, more than others? (We knew most everything about the previous generations at this point in the cycle.) We know you can't say what your are announcing, but why don't we have an answer of when you are announcing (You just say "soon". Is soon tomorrow, next week, two weeks from now, next month? When is soon?)

Old 08-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I'm hearing that you are announcing the rest this Tuesday or next, is this true?

If not, when are you announcing? Why are you guys so secretive with this release, more than others? (We knew most everything about the previous generations at this point in the cycle.) We know you can't say what your are announcing, but why don't we have an answer of when you are announcing (You just say "soon". Is soon tomorrow, next week, two weeks from now, next month? When is soon?)
A Microsoft PR person at the gdgt party said "all our stats" would be announced "in about a week or two." Look at :58 in this video:

Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 PM

Hey Dave! A while back I emailed you about gapless issues with my 3.1 firmware'd 80. Can you tell me if it will be fixed with an upcoming update?
You don't have to fight the monster, at first you can run away. Later on you can blind it causing it to fall off the balcony. When the opportunity arrives, push it off the bridge. If you have time, you can even put the beast out of its misery.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:49 PM

This ^

Old 08-10-2009, 02:37 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Why are you guys so secretive with this release, more than others? (We knew most everything about the previous generations at this point in the cycle.) We know you can't say what your are announcing, but why don't we have an answer of when you are announcing (You just say "soon". Is soon tomorrow, next week, two weeks from now, next month? When is soon?)
So I think whether we've liked it or not, we've been less secretive than previously, and way less secretive than some of our competition. Now, I'm not in marketing/PR and I would never tell those guys how to do their job (just like they don't tell me how to do mine), but I do understand that if we just blurted out everything we knew about the product at every step along the way, we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot. Nobody successfully markets like that, and we certainly don't/won't.

The reason we don't pre-announce everything, nor do we give long lead times on when we're going to make announcements, is because this is an incredibly competitive business and if we give other folks in this business enough heads up, they can respond to us and have a competitive advantage. Sure, I get that you guys all want to know what features we'll have, and when we'll announce, and when we'll launch - but there are folks out there that want to know MORE and who have millions of dollars invested in their own products at stake.

So... bottom line is - you'll find out shortly a lot more details about the product, but until then I encourage you to sit tight and hang on. Nobody is more excited to get all the details about the product out there - but until that time, the folks whose job it is to ensure we have a successful launch, are driving this bus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkshot View Post
Hey Dave! A while back I emailed you about gapless issues with my 3.1 firmware'd 80. Can you tell me if it will be fixed with an upcoming update?
Not yet. I'm sorry - see my above comments. It might sound like no big deal, but tipping folks off about our feature set - even at this stage - could grow problematic. As soon as I can share however, I definitely will.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 AM

I understand that you can't let your competitors know this. Last year with Apple is a perfect example. Some would say (iLounge, I know, speculated about this.) there would be no 120 GB classic or 16 GB iPod Nano if Zune wasn't forced to announce a few days earlier do to a leak by Fry's Electronics. You guys would have pulled a major upset if Apple had axed the Classic and only had an 8 GB Nano. But you must understand the wait is unbearable!

Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 PM

Do you know who your Princess is, Dave?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forourprincess.jpg (52.8 KB, 40 views)

Old 08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Buddy

I believe that's in memory of a team member who died during development. I'm not sure the device will ship with that. I'll do some digging...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
I believe that's in memory of a team member who died during development. I'm not sure the device will ship with that. I'll do some digging...

Cheers, Dave.
Oh dear, I thought it was going to be some kind of joke .

Old 08-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I figured it was for one of Bill Gate's kids. A promise he made her when she said she didn't want a Zune because it couldn't do what the iPod Touch could. Just a theory

Old 08-10-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeToS View Post
Oh dear, I thought it was going to be some kind of joke .
Me too, now I'm sad. No "Hello from Seattle".

Old 08-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Default August 11 sounds special.

Wasn't this the same date that the xbox team was supposed to have some long awaited updates. One maybe Zune on XBL. Plus yahoo tech just got a serious hands on, tommorrow Donald is having a guest(Brian) live is his podcast show with the product.

I'm just saying I don't know.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Banned

who is donald?

Old 08-10-2009, 09:29 PM

Default cnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post
who is donald?
The guy from cnet. Donald Bell.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Me too, now I'm sad. No "Hello from Seattle".
It's on the side of the device now...

Old 08-10-2009, 10:42 PM

Dave, would I be dissapointed if I wanted to buy a zune hd on Sept. 8 in Canada?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:58 AM

acording to this article the zune wil be released at the 8th of september.
also is stated that the 16gb wil cost 220 Dollar, the 32 gb wil cost 299 dollar.
this is based an an employee from Best Buy

Tags
dave, microsoft, questions, zune