android
Old 07-24-2009, 08:05 AM

Default Suggestions

Dave,
I have a couple of development suggestions that I think are reasonable. The Zune desktop software is especially attractive and useful.
1. I suggest the development of a taskbar toolbar and an especially well designed gadget that would enhance the use of both collections and the subscription model.
2. I suggest the addition of bookmarks or wish lists in the marketplace. When I am exploring I often want to check things further before I buy music. This is useful in Amazon and Audible. I often come back to things and purchase.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potomac View Post
Dave,
I have a couple of development suggestions that I think are reasonable. The Zune desktop software is especially attractive and useful.
1. I suggest the development of a taskbar toolbar and an especially well designed gadget that would enhance the use of both collections and the subscription model.
2. I suggest the addition of bookmarks or wish lists in the marketplace. When I am exploring I often want to check things further before I buy music. This is useful in Amazon and Audible. I often come back to things and purchase.

Thanks
If we're giving suggestions, please allow an option to disable the shadow. It fucks up big time, and it's annoying.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:11 PM

^ what shadow? The only problem I have with the software is it freezes and lags quite often since I have a large library.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Buddy

The only problem with making suggestions here is that I can't say much more than "thanks". If we had already thought of your suggestion and were doing it, I couldn't confirm that at this point anyhow.

So - let me say thanks for the posts in this sub-forum, and I'll read everyone. Some I might challenge, but others I'll let go for discussion between the members.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Dave,

Here's one that shouldn't violate your ND agreement: When will the podcast you were on show up? I was kind of expecting it today.

Here's one just for fun: What one song do you play most often on your Zune HD? What is it about that song that gets your attention?

Old 07-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Buddy

Actually, it's online now. Just listened to it myself.

Lately I've been playing "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts - choosing music for my wedding.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Wedding, eh? Congrats! I took the music planning for my wedding away from my wife despite her objections. She came from a family that avoided music, even singing Happy Birthday at birthday parties. I came from a family of music educators. Ended up writing her a wedding song. Sung by ten nieces. Big hit.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Buddy

Wow, way to set the bar there Olley. I can't match that...

Although I did write the score to a Microsoft Theatre Troupe production a few years back. We put a Shakespeare play (Measure for Measure) to music...

Cheers, Dave.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OK, well I used to high jump and the song bar wasn't very high. It was kept simple so all the nieces could sing it. Caused a few romantic tears though.

Listened to the podcast. Now I believe you hail from down under. Nine years and haven't lost the accent.

A few questions:

This one brought up but not answered clearly. I though I heard you say the HD would plug into older Zune Docks, but the docks wouldn't support the HD output. And that new docks coming out would. Makes sense, but did I hear it right?

Matt mentioned testing (dog fooding) his ZuneHD as a DVR with the HD dock at home. Source video from media center? Marketplace? Record directly to the ZuneHD while plugged into the PC perhaps? There's a Archos out there that DVRs off your cable or sat box (or a VCR) with it's dock. Does the HD dock work both ways? Record (from an HD source) and playback (to your HDTV)?

I enjoyed the show. Well done.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
This one brought up but not answered clearly. I though I heard you say the HD would plug into older Zune Docks, but the docks wouldn't support the HD output. And that new docks coming out would. Makes sense, but did I hear it right?
Right, save for some HD features, legacy accessories will work with the new Zune HD.

Quote:
Matt mentioned testing (dog fooding) his ZuneHD as a DVR with the HD dock at home. Source video from media center? Marketplace? Record directly to the ZuneHD while plugged into the PC perhaps? There's a Archos out there that DVRs off your cable or sat box (or a VCR) with it's dock. Does the HD dock work both ways? Record (from an HD source) and playback (to your HDTV)?
So Matt said he was using his device _like_ a DVR - in other words he was downloading shows off Marketplace. There is no recording functionality via the dock.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 PM

Did you have anything to do with the official Zune 2 leather cases? Because I love mine. It looks just like new even after a year. My only gripe with it is that I have to unplug my headphones and take my Zune out of the case to charge it, which is really quite a hassle. (So, if you are making cases for the Zune HD I hope you can leave the connector open.)

Also, have you talked the the DLNA folks about DLNA in Zune? (You probably can't talk about this.) I know Windows 7 has it, and it would be cool if Zune did as well. It would certainly help alleviate concerns about storage space.

Last edited by clubdirthill; 07-24-2009 at 09:47 PM.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Listened to the podcast. Now I believe you hail from down under. Nine years and haven't lost the accent.
Yeah I can hear it too lol!!.

But dave, nice podcast . Well done mate
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 07-25-2009, 06:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Do you guys have a link for the Zune podcast that your discussing? I'm at a loss here,............

Old 07-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Do you guys have a link for the Zune podcast that your discussing? I'm at a loss here,............
Zune Insider #29.
I love that the Zune Insider is listed under Entertainment: Comedy

Old 07-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Here you go DarkSide

Old 07-25-2009, 07:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thank you both!!! Adding it to my Zune podcast subscriptions now.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:21 AM

any idea when will the ZuneHD be released in the UK and the rest of Europe? and what's the deal on HD Radio? does that work similar with DAB? if not so then would that be a factor in releasing your product in the EU? and how much will it retail?

Old 07-26-2009, 01:40 PM

Hey Dave,
First of all, congratulations on the upcoming ZuneHD!
As many others, I am very excited about this little piece of technology!
But, I'm wondering about one feature I really enjoy in Media Players that was never implemented (for all I know) in older generation Zunes. That is the lyrics feature, could you give us a hint of whether this feature is implemented or may be implemented some time after the release of the ZuneHD?
Of course, you probably can't answer, but if you could it'd be great!

Keep up the good work!

Old 07-26-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserC View Post
Hey Dave,
First of all, congratulations on the upcoming ZuneHD!
As many others, I am very excited about this little piece of technology!
But, I'm wondering about one feature I really enjoy in Media Players that was never implemented (for all I know) in older generation Zunes. That is the lyrics feature, could you give us a hint of whether this feature is implemented or may be implemented some time after the release of the ZuneHD?
Of course, you probably can't answer, but if you could it'd be great!

Keep up the good work!
broken record but this question has already been discussed in some detail

Old 07-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Dave,
I'm assuming you've noticed the story about the Chinese worker who allegedly committed suicide after losing an iPhone prototype he was responsible for. Just out of curiousity, what is the "penalty" for losing your ZuneHD? How often are you checked to make sure you still have it?

Tags
dave, microsoft, questions, zune