android
  #181  
Old 07-24-2009, 08:05 AM
potomac potomac is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8
Default Suggestions

Dave,
I have a couple of development suggestions that I think are reasonable. The Zune desktop software is especially attractive and useful.
1. I suggest the development of a taskbar toolbar and an especially well designed gadget that would enhance the use of both collections and the subscription model.
2. I suggest the addition of bookmarks or wish lists in the marketplace. When I am exploring I often want to check things further before I buy music. This is useful in Amazon and Audible. I often come back to things and purchase.

Thanks
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #182  
Old 07-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Jacob Jacob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by potomac View Post
Dave,
I have a couple of development suggestions that I think are reasonable. The Zune desktop software is especially attractive and useful.
1. I suggest the development of a taskbar toolbar and an especially well designed gadget that would enhance the use of both collections and the subscription model.
2. I suggest the addition of bookmarks or wish lists in the marketplace. When I am exploring I often want to check things further before I buy music. This is useful in Amazon and Audible. I often come back to things and purchase.

Thanks
If we're giving suggestions, please allow an option to disable the shadow. It fucks up big time, and it's annoying.
Reply With Quote

  #183  
Old 07-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Machiventa's Avatar
Machiventa Machiventa is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 886
Default

^ what shadow? The only problem I have with the software is it freezes and lags quite often since I have a large library.
__________________
DILLA BANGED MY WIFE
Reply With Quote

  #184  
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 PM
DaveMac-MS DaveMac-MS is offline
Buddy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,482
Default

The only problem with making suggestions here is that I can't say much more than "thanks". If we had already thought of your suggestion and were doing it, I couldn't confirm that at this point anyhow.

So - let me say thanks for the posts in this sub-forum, and I'll read everyone. Some I might challenge, but others I'll let go for discussion between the members.

Cheers, Dave.
__________________
Please don't PM me - instead send an email!
Follow me on Twitter (@DaveMacMS)!
If you're a member of the Zune Social - friend me (AussieDaveMS)!
Reply With Quote

  #185  
Old 07-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Olley Olley is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,894
Default

Dave,

Here's one that shouldn't violate your ND agreement: When will the podcast you were on show up? I was kind of expecting it today.

Here's one just for fun: What one song do you play most often on your Zune HD? What is it about that song that gets your attention?
Reply With Quote

  #186  
Old 07-24-2009, 06:58 PM
DaveMac-MS DaveMac-MS is offline
Buddy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,482
Default

Actually, it's online now. Just listened to it myself.

Lately I've been playing "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts - choosing music for my wedding.

Cheers, Dave.
__________________
Please don't PM me - instead send an email!
Follow me on Twitter (@DaveMacMS)!
If you're a member of the Zune Social - friend me (AussieDaveMS)!
Reply With Quote

  #187  
Old 07-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Olley Olley is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,894
Default

Wedding, eh? Congrats! I took the music planning for my wedding away from my wife despite her objections. She came from a family that avoided music, even singing Happy Birthday at birthday parties. I came from a family of music educators. Ended up writing her a wedding song. Sung by ten nieces. Big hit.
Reply With Quote

  #188  
Old 07-24-2009, 07:20 PM
DaveMac-MS DaveMac-MS is offline
Buddy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,482
Default

Wow, way to set the bar there Olley. I can't match that...

Although I did write the score to a Microsoft Theatre Troupe production a few years back. We put a Shakespeare play (Measure for Measure) to music...

Cheers, Dave.
__________________
Please don't PM me - instead send an email!
Follow me on Twitter (@DaveMacMS)!
If you're a member of the Zune Social - friend me (AussieDaveMS)!
Reply With Quote

  #189  
Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Olley Olley is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,894
Default

OK, well I used to high jump and the song bar wasn't very high. It was kept simple so all the nieces could sing it. Caused a few romantic tears though.

Listened to the podcast. Now I believe you hail from down under. Nine years and haven't lost the accent.

A few questions:

This one brought up but not answered clearly. I though I heard you say the HD would plug into older Zune Docks, but the docks wouldn't support the HD output. And that new docks coming out would. Makes sense, but did I hear it right?

Matt mentioned testing (dog fooding) his ZuneHD as a DVR with the HD dock at home. Source video from media center? Marketplace? Record directly to the ZuneHD while plugged into the PC perhaps? There's a Archos out there that DVRs off your cable or sat box (or a VCR) with it's dock. Does the HD dock work both ways? Record (from an HD source) and playback (to your HDTV)?

I enjoyed the show. Well done.
Reply With Quote

  #190  
Old 07-24-2009, 08:46 PM
DaveMac-MS DaveMac-MS is offline
Buddy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
This one brought up but not answered clearly. I though I heard you say the HD would plug into older Zune Docks, but the docks wouldn't support the HD output. And that new docks coming out would. Makes sense, but did I hear it right?
Right, save for some HD features, legacy accessories will work with the new Zune HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Matt mentioned testing (dog fooding) his ZuneHD as a DVR with the HD dock at home. Source video from media center? Marketplace? Record directly to the ZuneHD while plugged into the PC perhaps? There's a Archos out there that DVRs off your cable or sat box (or a VCR) with it's dock. Does the HD dock work both ways? Record (from an HD source) and playback (to your HDTV)?
So Matt said he was using his device _like_ a DVR - in other words he was downloading shows off Marketplace. There is no recording functionality via the dock.

Cheers, Dave.
__________________
Please don't PM me - instead send an email!
Follow me on Twitter (@DaveMacMS)!
If you're a member of the Zune Social - friend me (AussieDaveMS)!
Reply With Quote

  #191  
Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 PM
clubdirthill clubdirthill is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 158
Default

Did you have anything to do with the official Zune 2 leather cases? Because I love mine. It looks just like new even after a year. My only gripe with it is that I have to unplug my headphones and take my Zune out of the case to charge it, which is really quite a hassle. (So, if you are making cases for the Zune HD I hope you can leave the connector open.)

Also, have you talked the the DLNA folks about DLNA in Zune? (You probably can't talk about this.) I know Windows 7 has it, and it would be cool if Zune did as well. It would certainly help alleviate concerns about storage space.

Last edited by clubdirthill; 07-24-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #192  
Old 07-25-2009, 01:31 AM
copeys's Avatar
copeys copeys is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Posts: 993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Listened to the podcast. Now I believe you hail from down under. Nine years and haven't lost the accent.
Yeah I can hear it too lol!!.

But dave, nice podcast . Well done mate
__________________
Gear: ZuneHD 32GB, Creative ZVM 30GB, iPod Classic 120GB, iPhone 4s 16GB, iPad (3rdGen)16GB Wifi
Don't understand the above?
Try reading this: Aussie Talk
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter
Reply With Quote

  #193  
Old 07-25-2009, 06:18 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,043
Default

Do you guys have a link for the Zune podcast that your discussing? I'm at a loss here,............
Reply With Quote

  #194  
Old 07-25-2009, 07:07 AM
skip252 skip252 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Do you guys have a link for the Zune podcast that your discussing? I'm at a loss here,............
Zune Insider #29.
I love that the Zune Insider is listed under Entertainment: Comedy
Reply With Quote

  #195  
Old 07-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Cruleworld's Avatar
Cruleworld Cruleworld is offline
Zune Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In a secluded cave
Posts: 2,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Do you guys have a link for the Zune podcast that your discussing? I'm at a loss here,............
Here you go DarkSide
__________________
Players: Zune 30GB (Music), iPod Touch 8GB 2g (Apps/Podcasts), Zune HD 32GB (sold to brother)
Reply With Quote

  #196  
Old 07-25-2009, 07:19 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,043
Default

Thank you both!!! Adding it to my Zune podcast subscriptions now.
Reply With Quote

  #197  
Old 07-26-2009, 05:21 AM
gino_76ph gino_76ph is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London, England
Posts: 178
Default

any idea when will the ZuneHD be released in the UK and the rest of Europe? and what's the deal on HD Radio? does that work similar with DAB? if not so then would that be a factor in releasing your product in the EU? and how much will it retail?
Reply With Quote

  #198  
Old 07-26-2009, 01:40 PM
UserC UserC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4
Default

Hey Dave,
First of all, congratulations on the upcoming ZuneHD!
As many others, I am very excited about this little piece of technology!
But, I'm wondering about one feature I really enjoy in Media Players that was never implemented (for all I know) in older generation Zunes. That is the lyrics feature, could you give us a hint of whether this feature is implemented or may be implemented some time after the release of the ZuneHD?
Of course, you probably can't answer, but if you could it'd be great!

Keep up the good work!
Reply With Quote

  #199  
Old 07-26-2009, 05:11 PM
zedicus zedicus is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserC View Post
Hey Dave,
First of all, congratulations on the upcoming ZuneHD!
As many others, I am very excited about this little piece of technology!
But, I'm wondering about one feature I really enjoy in Media Players that was never implemented (for all I know) in older generation Zunes. That is the lyrics feature, could you give us a hint of whether this feature is implemented or may be implemented some time after the release of the ZuneHD?
Of course, you probably can't answer, but if you could it'd be great!

Keep up the good work!
broken record but this question has already been discussed in some detail
Reply With Quote

  #200  
Old 07-26-2009, 05:24 PM
Olley Olley is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,894
Default

Dave,
I'm assuming you've noticed the story about the Chinese worker who allegedly committed suicide after losing an iPhone prototype he was responsible for. Just out of curiousity, what is the "penalty" for losing your ZuneHD? How often are you checked to make sure you still have it?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
dave, microsoft, questions, zune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.