android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman > Walkman X Series

Old 06-09-2009, 09:19 PM

Default Sony's Netfront vs Apple's Safari Questions

i have had my 2nd gen ipod touch for a while now and whenever i go to a "free" wi-fi hotspot (say a shopping centre or a fastfood chain) i can't go to the internet. i do not know why. i think you need to "register" first with the existing network on the place but sometimes there are dead bits on the site i.e. the site loads incompletely.

how is Sony's Opera browser on the new X-series walkman? does it accept Flash? does it "scans" for free and paid wi-fi signal on a given area? or can you manually find it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-09-2009, 10:32 PM

the x series walkman actually has a netfront browser and not an opera one.. Plus I heard that it kinda suck and it is not as good as the ipod touch's one

Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 AM

Apples' Safari is holding the first spot when it comes to wifi browsing on the go, it is truly amazing, which i don't think anyone would disagree with that.

the problem u have encountered would due to those hotspots weren't free from the start, u have to be certain member of a service to log in and use them. here in australia i have encountered some coffee shops hotspots requesting for login as well. both the quality of the wifi signal and sites u are visiting can determine ur browsing experience. so i wouldn't attribute any fault to safari. i can't deny apple devices browsing power on the go, i think anyone who uses wifi hotspot on mobile devices would know safari.

Opera Mobile 9.7 is the newest offer from opera, it is set to battle out with safari. it's faster and has scored 100 out of 100 in the Acid3 test, which tests a browser's compliance with the HTML standard.

so basically x1000 netfront feels 10yrs behind safari or opera 9.7, because x1000 is not a browsing device, it's a music device only. sony has basically avoided showing its wifi in better details all these times on ad or japan promo clips. its netfront reminds me of sonicstage, connect player......mediamonkey, man just softwares that don't work. it does play youtube, but then again it doesn't wow you, since so many devices can do that now

Last edited by $ony$tyle; 06-10-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The Touch won't automatically join a "free" hotspot just because you're in range. You'll need to go into Settings, WiFi, and choose the network from any it can see.

There is a "Ask to Join Networks" option on the bottom of that settings page. You might want to turn it ON (or OFF) and see if that helps.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I agree, Safari is quite a spectacular browser. I've used it on my Touch on numerous occasions and it was great, but I have had trouble connecting at times. It seems that certain businesses have an agreement w/Apple to allow access, and others block the device. And, as Olley mentioned, you need to go into the settings menu enable the "Ask To Join Networks" setting. It might take a minute or two to register, but it usually works.

As for Opera Mobile, it's on my BlackBerry Storm, and all I can say is "WOW". It's on par w/Safari Not sure if it's better, but in no way is it worse. The browser on my Storm is slow, and sometimes has dificulties rendering pages. Opera loads even very graphics intensive sites in a matter of SECONDS!!! All mobile devices should come w Opera as standard fare. IMO, if the new Sony X1000 series had Opera, even w/the limited video support, it'd really boost it's standing as an all around quality player.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 PM

who would need internet on their music device, i mean that dumb thing ever if there was for net on music player i won't even need that shit on music player so music player got to be about music only not like stupid stuff like net or other stuff. If you want net get a phone or use real computer.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony4ever View Post
who would need internet on their music device, i mean that dumb thing ever if there was for net on music player i won't even need that shit on music player so music player got to be about music only not like stupid stuff like net or other stuff. If you want net get a phone or use real computer.
First, Sony put a browser on the X1000 series, go tell them. Second, WTH are you talking about? I can hardly read anything you post, as it's all jumbled nonsense. You really need to type in a clear, ordered manner. Are you like 6 years old or something?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
First, Sony put a browser on the X1000 series, go tell them. Second, WTH are you talking about? I can hardly read anything you post, as it's all jumbled nonsense. You really need to type in a clear, ordered manner. Are you like 6 years old or something?
watcha mouth well i think sony did well on there x1000 series.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony4ever View Post
Who would need internet on their music device?
No one needs a music device. This is about wants. There are many music streaming and web radio sites on the web. If set up right you can also stream your own music from your PC, without needing to be in the same room. It's about enabling better access to content. As a bonus you can have email, weather reports, a browser, stock quotes, youtube videos, and all the other great media and info the web allows access to. The new generation of pocket players have more power in them than the computer that the Apollo space ships had, which you're wasting if you don't take more advantage of it than to just play music. As a bonus you can choose NOT to buy a player with WiFi. The fact that players with WiFi exist answers your own question. Who? Everyone that buys one.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Unfortunately Sony bombed w/the X1000, and the netfront browser is horrible. That, and the terrible video support make it a no-go.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:08 AM

is the internet on x1000 free or pay?

Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Internet on the X1000 comes via WiFi. If you have access to free WiFi then it's free. If you are using your own then it costs your monthly fee.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Enzo is saying the audio quality and included iem's are fantastic for the X1000 though, so I really can't wait till the review hits. This might even sound better than the S9 & P3. Wow, that sux in it's own way, don't it?!?!?!

Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Enzo is saying the audio quality and included iem's are fantastic for the X1000 though, so I really can't wait till the review hits. This might even sound better than the S9 & P3. Wow, that sux in it's own way, don't it?!?!?!
well I guess we can't have everything in one device.. cowon should buy sony's Smaster amp

Old 06-12-2009, 06:24 PM

Which sound had better sony x1000 or zune hd?

Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 PM

Didn't Sony say that this wasnt a browsing device though. Through all the press releases, I got the idea that they put it on for youtube and the internet radio site us europeans dont get (slacker or something?), and they only put the browser in because they thought that people would feel ripped off if they payed for wifi and then didnt get internet.
And sony4ever, you can bet your bottom dollar that the sony will sound better; the zune might be good but sony is in a different league

Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately Sony bombed w/the X1000, and the netfront browser is horrible. That, and the terrible video support make it a no-go.
Like the iPods horrible sound quality?

Personally, I like my devices to excell at their primary purpose, if additional functionality sucks, then I don't mind to much.

I would rather have a fantastic sounding portable music player, with a sucky web browser, than a horrible sounding music player with a great browser.

Of course we all would like something thats great at everything, but that's rare if not non existent. (PS3 is about the only consumer device that comes close).

Old 06-13-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgillespie View Post

Personally, I like my devices to excell at their primary purpose, if additional functionality sucks, then I don't mind to much.

I would rather have a fantastic sounding portable music player, with a sucky web browser, than a horrible sounding music player with a great browser.

Of course we all would like something thats great at everything, but that's rare if not non existent. (PS3 is about the only consumer device that comes close).
But the last time i checked, the ps3 didn't fit in my pocket.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgillespie View Post

Yup, the Touch does have sucky SQ!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaum View Post
But the last time i checked, the ps3 didn't fit in my pocket.
Heh, now that's good!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebal View Post
Didn't Sony say that this wasnt a browsing device though. Through all the press releases, I got the idea that they put it on for youtube and the internet radio site us europeans dont get (slacker or something?), and they only put the browser in because they thought that people would feel ripped off if they payed for wifi and then didnt get internet.
And sony4ever, you can bet your bottom dollar that the sony will sound better; the zune might be good but sony is in a different league
ok, I was hoping if Zune HD player use noise cancelling like Sony X-1000