android
Old 06-07-2009, 04:02 PM

Default Apalling podcast software

Has anyone else tried downloading podcasts to SPINN using iriver Plus 3?

It seems as though a 3rd party software called "myPodder" is started by IP3 to manage podcasts. This software and the website that manages the podcast feeds are so bad that I can't even find words to describe it.

I have always given iriver the benefit of the doubt, but the fact that they allowed this utterly worthless crapplication to be associated with their product made my heart sink.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an alternative application that can manage podcast feeds and sync them to my SPINN?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2009, 11:28 AM

Default Podcast software list

I like to use Primetime, since I'm using Windows Media Player to sync with my Spinn (2.10 FW). Primetime will automatically add itself as a playlist in WMP, so you can sync your ripped music and podcasts at once. I tried Juice and Ziepod, but Primetime was easier for me. Here is a list:
http://www.podcastalley.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=258

Old 07-21-2009, 04:44 PM

Smile Juice + something for syncing

I use the following combination for my SPINN:

- Juice - for downloading podcasts, synchronizing podcasts list with my account on podnova
- fling - for synchronizing these podcasts downloaded by Juice with my SPINN

This works perfectly: Juice downloads new podcasts into the local folder, then Fling (you may use any other software for syncing folders) copies these files into the SPINN when connected.

In order to avoiding a mess with all these files, I use an option in Juice for removing podcasts older than X days.
What if I want to keep some of these ? It is easy - I defined the second task in fling

Then finally:

1. Juice does the work
2. The 1st task in Fling makes copy of the Juice's folder in safe place for further review and selection
3. The 2nd task in Fling synchronizes the Juice's folder with SPINN when connected

Simple.
And much, much better than this piece of junk provided by Podcastready

(sorry Podcastready - you've got a chance, you've never fixed this 'can't login' issue)

Old 07-31-2009, 04:11 AM

Hi EliEli and thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately i can't get Juice to work at all on Windows XP
There is an error every time Juice tries to scan the feeds

Old 07-31-2009, 06:20 AM

I just started experimenting with Podcasts.
What folder on the SPINN do the files have to be in to appear in the SPINNs music menu under Podcasts?

Old 07-31-2009, 04:37 PM

On my player the folder is called 'Podcasts' and it's in the 'Music' folder

Old 07-31-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skagen View Post
On my player the folder is called 'Podcasts' and it's in the 'Music' folder
Thanks! All is working well now. I actually like the mypodder software in that it is portable. Any machine I connect my SPINN to, Windows, Linux, or Mac I can run mypodder straight from the device and update my podcasts. What more could you possibly want?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:31 PM

This seems like a dumb question but how did you get the podcast folder there? I mean I created the podcast folder and put it in the Music folder but my podcasts end up included in the list when the player shuffles my songs. Is there something special i'm supposed to do so that it doesn't do that like use one of the programs mentioned above or is it normal for the podcasts to play like that??

Old 08-01-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chynamaria View Post
This seems like a dumb question but how did you get the podcast folder there? I mean I created the podcast folder and put it in the Music folder but my podcasts end up included in the list when the player shuffles my songs. Is there something special i'm supposed to do so that it doesn't do that like use one of the programs mentioned above or is it normal for the podcasts to play like that??
Mine doesn't behave that way.
Files in the "Podcasts" folder underneath the "Music" folder do not appear in Album, Artist or Genre view, nor in the Songs view. They only appear in the Podcast view and are only played when I select them from that view, not when shuffling through normal music. You need to be in Database mode for that to work of course. With Firmware 2.10 ENG that is.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:01 PM

did you create the podcast folder in the music folder or did mypodder create the folder for you?

Old 08-02-2009, 01:15 PM

I think I created the folder in Explorer.
The path looks like this:
Code:
E:\Music\Podcasts
With E: obviously being the SPINNs drive letter.
Then in myPodder I went to
Code:
myOptions->Storage Options->Set Storage Folder Options
an set the folder for audiocasts to
Code:
Music\Podcasts
It also works fine when I don't use myPodder, by simply copying an mp3-file to the Podcasts folder.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 PM

ok, I think we figured something out here.
What I did was switch the connection type to MSC(UMS) which allowed iriver plus to see the device (and also formatted it unfortunately but hey).
Then I did the whole mypodder thing through iriver (because for some reason I kept getting a login failure when I tried installing the software even though I had already created an account) and it installed the software on the spinn and created the podcasts folder in the music folder.
This seems to have resolved the issue because now there's also an actual 'pod cast' menu on the spinn that I can go to. Looks like mypodder was the key to the whole thing...well that and changing the connection type :-)
Thanks a million for all the help!

*ok so I put my songs back on the player but they aren't showing in the music menu anymore lol. I tink i'll just go back to mtp and just skip the podcasts when they play during shuffle.

**ok last update I guess. I'm assuming the songs didn't show in the music menu because I use wmp to put them on instead of iriver plus. But I don't want to use iriver plus because it didn't import my playlists from wmp and it'll take way too much time to recreate them again...So the conclusion still doesn't change lol. I'll just skip the podcasts until I can find a way to get my wmp playlists to show in iriver plus 3

Last edited by chynamaria; 08-03-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: update

Tags
iriverplus3, podcast, spinn, sync