android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Nano

Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 AM

Default Want to Upgrade ZNP - Specific Needs, Frustrating to Find Info

Hi,

I have a Zen Nano Plus 1GB, which is annoying to maintain due to its small size.

I want something with more space, but have specific needs:

1. I would primarily use the ZNP when I was working overnight at a grocery store. I'm currently out of work, but when I go back I will need something which I can navigate in my pocket, preferably without looking, and which will not get damaged while I move and unpack boxes. The iPods my parents and sister have do not have buttons, only a touch-sensitive "dial" which would easily get damaged or navigate out of my control if banged around in my pocket. I would often navigate the ZNP while in my pocket without looking at the song/folder names.

2. I am not a singles/shuffle-type person, as I grew up in the mid-to-late 90s when the focus was on the whole album rather than the song. Because of this I for the most part listen to albums from start to finish, with the occasional skipped song. Shuffle is not an option for me.

3. When I would use the ZNP, I would treat it as a jump drive and simply copy whole albums as MP3-containing folders onto it, with the root of the drive for a few single songs. New models seem to advertise proprietary software and music stores which I hate with a passion. I would rather not classify all my songs into playlists, face advertising and automatic tagging, or other infringing privacy/DRM issues. I would rather transfer MP3s (which I usually convert from ripped FLAC files) from my computer than transfer directly into the player.

Summary: I want an MP3 player which goes by folder/file name rather than categorizing into playlists, does not force you into "shuffle" mode, allows easy copying of MP3 files and MP3-containing folders from the computer with minimal intrusiveness and without the annoying "make it easy for you" mentality (preferably a direct copy through My Computer or the Linux equivalents), and most importantly, is durable and easy to navigate when unpacking boxes on the night shift.

If anyone would help me, that'd be great. I see some of the other Zen models have an SD card option, but I don't know how durable these players' buttons are, or how easy it is to navigate.

Thanks so much for your help, as I have been struggling to find info on this for months, hopefully a "real person" can help me.

Thanks, Dan

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2009, 01:38 PM

I have both Zen nano plus and 8 GB zen

ZNP
===
You say the 1Gb is not enough room on the ZNP. Have you tried to convert the MP3 files to WMA?

I have 318 songs (128K WMA) on my 1GB zen.
Translates to 20-30 albums depending on song length. YMMV
I found it almost doubles the songs you can get on the player.

Bit of a pain to convert MP3 to WMA using Creative Media Source Audio Convertor (on the CD that came with the player) but you only have to do it once per album.

I use the folder structure artist>album>song

8GB Zen
======
The Zen is not so easy to use by feel like the ZNP. (I miss this when driving). So saying, is changing albums every 30-40 minutes such a chore? It only takes a few button presses: back > back > (scroll to next album) > play
Skipping tracks within albums is easy enough (one button press)

You can also "randomly" change albums with one button press. For various values of random that is :-)

Not a folder structure, but using the MP3 tags to organise albums is easy enough, just sync from Windows Media Player (or whatever). Thereafter you can browse and play by album or artist.

The SD card is out of the question as you can't bookmark, resume, etc. from the card and is generally a pain for audio. - I only use this for videos and photos.

Hope this helps, Dave

Old 12-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Converting from mp3 to wma will further degrade sound quality. Imo 128 kbps is not satisfactory. I use 256 kbps for my music.

Imo the OP should buy a Sandisk Clip+. The 4 GB is only around $35 on Amazon. It has a micro SDHC card slot, so he could add an 8 GB micro SDHC card and still probably keep the total cost under $50. It has tactile buttons and is easy to operate in a pocket of clipped to your shirt. Battery life is around 12 hours. The sound quality on the Clip+ is much better than on the Nano Plus(I have both of these).

Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Banned

do you think the OP is still around, waiting for your reply?

Old 12-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodirectionhome View Post
do you think the OP is still around, waiting for your reply?
It was definitely worth posting with that single reply. . . bleh! wma. . .