android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon S9

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 PM
GzusReigns GzusReigns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
Default Please Help!!! Can't drag & drop iTunes?

OK, I just unboxed my S9 today and have finally waited for it's full charge... only to find I can't drag and drop my iTunes file into the music file via the Cowon software that came with it. I have firmware 2.31b. I asked this question before I bought it and someone said I can just drag and drop my iTunes files into the S9. I was able to successfully transfer a ripped CD, so I know that is working. However, 95% of my music is iTunes downloads and CDs I ripped as Apple Lossless. Can someone please help, I'm itching to listen to this thing.

Thanks
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GzusReigns View Post
OK, I just unboxed my S9 today and have finally waited for it's full charge... only to find I can't drag and drop my iTunes file into the music file via the Cowon software that came with it. I have firmware 2.31b. I asked this question before I bought it and someone said I can just drag and drop my iTunes files into the S9. I was able to successfully transfer a ripped CD, so I know that is working. However, 95% of my music is iTunes downloads and CDs I ripped as Apple Lossless. Can someone please help, I'm itching to listen to this thing.

Thanks
Well, the CD's you ripped as ALAC you can convert to another , compatible format, like mp3. Your iTunes downloads, though, what format are they? Do the songs look like songname.m4a? I don't think the S9 plays that, but I'm not sure.....if not, you'll have to convert them to mp3, which will make them sound worse, because any lossy-lossy conversion makes it worse.


(now you see why I said get rid of iTunes if you don't have an iPod?)
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:05 PM
GzusReigns GzusReigns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Well, the CD's you ripped as ALAC you can convert to another , compatible format, like mp3. Your iTunes downloads, though, what format are they? Do the songs look like songname.m4a? I don't think the S9 plays that, but I'm not sure.....if not, you'll have to convert them to mp3, which will make them sound worse, because any lossy-lossy conversion makes it worse.


(now you see why I said get rid of iTunes if you don't have an iPod?)
Yes, I do see. I have been using amazon and liking that, not the least of which is that it's cheaper (mostly). So, I have no choice but to convert my .m4a to mp3? What's the best way to do that? I just downloaded a free trial of *********, but I'm having trouble with it. It game me an option to transfer all my files to FLAC, but it just froze up on me so I'm about to try again. I'm not sure if it's just a buggy program or something. Again, I'm a total newb at all this I'm afraid to say. And usually I'm up on the latest technology and stuff, but I'm struggling along this learning curve for some reason? Thanks for any addition help from you or anyone.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:21 PM
GzusReigns GzusReigns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Hmmm, it seems to be working now if I drag and drop each individual file by album. I first tried to drag and drop my entire iTunes folder into the S9 music file. I haven't yet tried to play them on the S9, though, so we'll see.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:24 PM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GzusReigns View Post
Yes, I do see. I have been using amazon and liking that, not the least of which is that it's cheaper (mostly). So, I have no choice but to convert my .m4a to mp3? What's the best way to do that? I just downloaded a free trial of *********, but I'm having trouble with it. It game me an option to transfer all my files to FLAC, but it just froze up on me so I'm about to try again. I'm not sure if it's just a buggy program or something. Again, I'm a total newb at all this I'm afraid to say. And usually I'm up on the latest technology and stuff, but I'm struggling along this learning curve for some reason? Thanks for any addition help from you or anyone.
Since you already have iTunes on your computer, that will convert the files for you....it's not necessarily the best tool for the job, but it'll work for what you're doing. It can change the m4a's to mp3, and the ALACs to mp3, just in both cases look for the highest quality setting for the mp3, with VBR if possible.

On the other hand, a better tool for the job, assuming you're willing to learn a little bit.....http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....000:Foobar2000
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 07-17-2009, 12:04 AM
GzusReigns GzusReigns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Since you already have iTunes on your computer, that will convert the files for you....it's not necessarily the best tool for the job, but it'll work for what you're doing. It can change the m4a's to mp3, and the ALACs to mp3, just in both cases look for the highest quality setting for the mp3, with VBR if possible.

On the other hand, a better tool for the job, assuming you're willing to learn a little bit.....http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....000:Foobar2000
Well, I downloaded Foobar and can't seem to figure that out. I managed to tranfer a file from aac to flac with Aimer$oft and when I play it on the S9 it's just repeated clicking noises. I'm totally hurt up right now, all I can listen to is the friggin annoying factory track on the S9 which sounds like that guy from C&C Music Factory, horrible! Can you or someone please walk me through the steps I need to take my iTunes library into the S9? I feel like a retard not being able to do this!
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 07-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GzusReigns View Post
Well, I downloaded Foobar and can't seem to figure that out. I managed to tranfer a file from aac to flac with Aimer$oft and when I play it on the S9 it's just repeated clicking noises. I'm totally hurt up right now, all I can listen to is the friggin annoying factory track on the S9 which sounds like that guy from C&C Music Factory, horrible! Can you or someone please walk me through the steps I need to take my iTunes library into the S9? I feel like a retard not being able to do this!
You're going to have to be patient, as much as it sucks. foobar takes some time, and reading , to learn....I don't know all its capabilities yet either.

One thing you can do for now is re-rip a few CD's to mp3, and put them on the S9 so you can give it a test run. Then you can explore your conversion options afterwards. It's going to be a fair amount of work, I suspect, to get it all compatible with the S9.....depending on how big your music library is. Also , someone that actually owns an S9 might have more suggestions than I.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 07-17-2009, 01:44 AM
GzusReigns GzusReigns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
Default

OK, I'm freakin out now. I've downloaded 3 different mp3 converters that say they are supposed to convert .m4a/.aac files to mp3 or flac. Everytime I try to add a file from iTunes to convert to mp3 or flac is says I cannot add those files? I am hating itunes right now. Anyone with a thought? I have to go to bed as it is wayyyyy past my bedtime. Someone please bail me out so I can wake up in the morning to a solution that will let me enjoy this S9. By the way Marvin, I did rip one CD awhile and put it on here to listen to. I just can't enjoy this thing fully unless I can get my multitudes of downloaded itunes files on here.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 07-17-2009, 01:51 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GzusReigns View Post
OK, I'm freakin out now. I've downloaded 3 different mp3 converters that say they are supposed to convert .m4a/.aac files to mp3 or flac. Everytime I try to add a file from iTunes to convert to mp3 or flac is says I cannot add those files? I am hating itunes right now. Anyone with a thought? I have to go to bed as it is wayyyyy past my bedtime. Someone please bail me out so I can wake up in the morning to a solution that will let me enjoy this S9. By the way Marvin, I did rip one CD awhile and put it on here to listen to. I just can't enjoy this thing fully unless I can get my multitudes of downloaded itunes files on here.
You can use iTunes to convert them, as I said earlier.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 07-17-2009, 02:00 AM
GzusReigns GzusReigns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
You can use iTunes to convert them, as I said earlier.
I get an error that says, "protected files cannot be converted to other formats." OK, I'm really going to bed now. I'll check in tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 07-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Marvin the Martian's Avatar
Marvin the Martian Marvin the Martian is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: east central NY state
Posts: 10,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GzusReigns View Post
I get an error that says, "protected files cannot be converted to other formats." OK, I'm really going to bed now. I'll check in tomorrow. Thanks for your patience.
Another can of worms....the protected files. Someone more experienced with iTunes will have to confirm this, but I think you can "un-protect" them....for an additional price. Sorry! Good luck tomorrow.
__________________
iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB. Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900 and Lumia 520
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 07-17-2009, 08:44 AM
GzusReigns GzusReigns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
Thumb Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Another can of worms....the protected files. Someone more experienced with iTunes will have to confirm this, but I think you can "un-protect" them....for an additional price. Sorry! Good luck tomorrow.
Thanks for all your help Marv. I think I found my answer on another thread. Burning the protected itunes to CD and then rip them again. I don't know about losing any sound quality, but we'll see.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 07-17-2009, 09:33 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,032
Default

Burn the protected AAC's to disc as an audio cd, then re-rip them to mp3. Case closed. I did this when Pepsi (I think it was Pepsi,.....?) gave away free downloads w/a soda during a contest here in the USA. Burning and re-ripping is the ONLY legal way to remove the DRM. It's listed in the info for iTunes (look it up an the Apple website).
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 07-17-2009, 10:44 AM
GzusReigns GzusReigns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Burn the protected AAC's to disc as an audio cd, then re-rip them to mp3. Case closed. I did this when Pepsi (I think it was Pepsi,.....?) gave away free downloads w/a soda during a contest here in the USA. Burning and re-ripping is the ONLY legal way to remove the DRM. It's listed in the info for iTunes (look it up an the Apple website).
Got it, thanks a lot. It's going to take some time, but I'm underway and at least enjoying the S9 now. I'm going to transfer some as flac and some as ogg vorbis to see if I can tell a noticeable difference. I only have 16gb so I probably can't get away with too much flac, even though I'd like to.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 07-17-2009, 01:33 PM
iPoo's Avatar
iPoo iPoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 300
Default

m4a to flac is not a good idea.
__________________
I'm never gonna know you now, but I'm gonna love you anyhow
Elliot Smith - Waltz 2 (XO)
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 07-17-2009, 02:20 PM
GzusReigns GzusReigns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoo View Post
m4a to flac is not a good idea.
Yeah, I realized the m4a are 256kbps, so it wouldn't do any good. I'm burning them to CD and then ripping them with highest quality ogg vorbis I can get. I'll tranfer original CDs I have as flac. I now have a new issue I've been working on. When I transfer all my files to the music folder of my s9, all of the tracks from all of my albums are lumped together in alphabetical order. On the media center I have separate folders for each album and they are arranged nicely. But on the s9 it's a mess. I thought I would be able to browse my tracks by artist or album. I've done some searching on here and playing around with every option on the S9 and media center, but can't seem to figure it out. Gosh I hate being such a rookie.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 PM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,032
Default

No, ripping them to OGG Vorbis is a waste of time/space. They're only going to sound as good as a 256kbps mp3 file. Really, you can't burn a lossy file to disk, then re-rip it as a lossless file. It doesn't work that way. Rip to 256kbps VBR max, otherwise your just wasting time, ours as well as yours.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 07-18-2009, 07:04 AM
GzusReigns GzusReigns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
No, ripping them to OGG Vorbis is a waste of time/space. They're only going to sound as good as a 256kbps mp3 file. Really, you can't burn a lossy file to disk, then re-rip it as a lossless file. It doesn't work that way. Rip to 256kbps VBR max, otherwise your just wasting time, ours as well as yours.
OK, thanks. I've been waiting to burn my itunes files to CD to see what everyone has to say, so it sounds like that's the way to go. In the meantime I've been ripping my original CDs with OGG Vorbis and FLAC (for my favorite CDs). DarkSide, what's your opinion on OGG Vorbis?
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 07-18-2009, 10:33 AM
GzusReigns GzusReigns is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GzusReigns View Post
OK, thanks. I've been waiting to burn my itunes files to CD to see what everyone has to say, so it sounds like that's the way to go. In the meantime I've been ripping my original CDs with OGG Vorbis and FLAC (for my favorite CDs). DarkSide, what's your opinion on OGG Vorbis?
Holy cow, it just ripped my first FLAC level 8 CD and it's ripping at a speed of 7X. The Ogg Vorbis was going at 1.5 X and taking FOREVER! I'll have to see how much space the FLAC takes up and I may consider ripping all of them that way.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 07-18-2009, 11:50 AM
The DarkSide's Avatar
The DarkSide The DarkSide is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Qns Vlg, NYC
Posts: 16,032
Default

LOL!!! My opinion is ripping the cd's right to mp3 V~0 VBR and solving the space and slow rip issue right off.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.