android
Old 05-24-2008, 04:00 PM

Default Upgrade to v1.50 UMS

I just managed to switch the YP-S5 from MTP to UMS by installing the Korean firmware v1.50. I don't understand why North America and Europe are stuck with the MTP version while Asia and south America get the UMS version. Perhaps Samsung wants to experiment with DRM on a limited scale?.

MTP is really not user-friendly:
  • doesn't work under macos or linux (support through libmtp is still limited). Ubuntu is my main OS .
  • I couldn't get it work under XP ("error mtp device")
  • Does work under Vista, but only after installing the latest patches.
Use at your own risk -- not sure if this voids your warrranty. But the YP-S5 did survive my unsuccesful attempts with the previous firmware v1.07.

Download the asiatic V1.50 version from Samsung Singapore (it's an English site):
http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/do...isp_nm=YP-S5QW
Unzip the file and under Vista, put the S5.rom and Config.dat in the root of the S5. I also put he Config.dat file in the subdirectory SYSTEM/ -- not sure if this is needed, but it doesn't harm... I had some trouble with copy/pasting the files. Drag and drop did however work under Vista.

After unconnecting and starting up the YP-S5, the new firmware is installed. The display shows up in Korean. This is quickly fixed in the Settings/Language menu. The first submenu item allows you to switch the language.

The S5 is now automatically supported under Ubuntu, but with a small issue: two S5 devices are mounted. No big deal...

Enjoy

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Samsung Moderator

So you succeed in upgrading with a UMS Asian firmware on a MTP S5?!

Old 05-25-2008, 02:02 AM

I can confirm: my YP-S5 is now displaying Firmware Version (Settings/System/About) 1.50 H KR. In my attempts I did the following upgrades: V1.70 MTP --> V1.50 MTP --> V1.50 UMS. I'm not sure if the intermediate stem is needed however.

The splash- screen on startup now shows www.yepp.co.kr, but apart from that, everything looks OK: all languages (including French ) are available.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:06 AM
Samsung Moderator

Hmm that's interesting!
So you were in v.1.07 MTP then upgraded in 1.50 MTP with the default config.dat
(US EN MTP).
Then you reinstalled the 1.50 but this time with a modified config.dat (KR KR UMS) ?

So it is possible to change from 1.50 MTP to 1.50 UMS? No downgrade needed before?

Old 05-26-2008, 11:23 AM

The v1.50 firmware from Samsung Singapore actually ships with a Config.dat inside the zip-file.
Contents:
Code:
YP-S5
KR KO UMS
BLK
And yes: in my case I switched from V1.50 MTP to V1.50 UMS, but I think it's possible to upgrade directly from v1.07MTP to V1.50UMS.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:22 PM

Yep it worked. Thank you. My YP-S5J now works with my XP machine again and my Xandros box. The only issue I have is that the Music and Video folders are not showing up on my Xandros Box. But that Could be becuase of the type of Linux. All the other files are there but those 2. I will do some playing. Thanks Again Mich123.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:09 PM

sick. faster syncing

Old 05-28-2008, 03:39 AM

oshit, my s5 is dead now. the lcd is displaying, but it freeze, won't react. i can't turn it off.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:57 AM

oh, i just reset it. it will freeze if i try to play a song with lyrics

Old 05-28-2008, 03:32 PM

It looks like your firmware-upgrade is broke: maybe the dowload or the firmware activation was interupted? It is best to download the firmware again and install it. Make sure the battery is fully charged.

If you can't install the Asiatic version, revert to the European / North american version. What is the complete version no of your YP-S5? Mine is YP-S5QB EU (=2 GB model).

Old 05-28-2008, 03:40 PM

Apparently it's not necessary to start from the Asiatic version; the 'original' V1.50 MTP version can also be switched by altering the Config.dat: http://mp3.generationmp3.com/2008/05...le-samsung-s5/

Old 05-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Samsung Moderator

No I'm not 100% sure of what I said on generationmp3.
That what I said but nobody confirmed it.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:17 PM

it is fine now. it can play songs with lyrics without problem

Old 07-19-2008, 08:49 PM

FYI - just tested this, and there is no need to download firmware from a site other than the regular Samsung site to switch from MTP to UMS. Just get the contents of the firmware zip file from www.samsung.com and edit the config.dat file, changing MTP to UMS.

e.g. my config.dat started as:

Code:
YP-S5
US EN UMS
BLK
I changed it to:

Code:
YP-S5
US EN MTP
BLK
then copied both S5J.ROM and the adjusted config.dat to the root of the S5 device, unplugged, turned the device on, and waited for the firmware update to complete.

After that, the S5 appears as a true USB device, which opens up possibilities for MediaMonkey, scripts and a whole ton of stuff that wasn't available under UMS.

Now if I can just get the S5 to bother reading the FLAC meta data for album, genre, artist, etc... (a subject for a different post).

Old 08-13-2008, 12:09 PM

Wah! I hate it!
Just when I thought, ich could finally use my MP3 more comfortably on my MacBook, I'm having troubles again.
I've got the european 8 GB version, and for some reason, the european firmware update does not come with a config.dat.
Also the european version have different Names - they got a "J" in the Middle...
So mine is YP-S5JCB

J for EU
C for 8 Gig
B for Black

Once again, I have no freakin idea what to do...

EDIT: Sorry, please excuse my whining - it worked

Last edited by Zordan; 08-13-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:06 AM

I poked around, and can confirm that the European downloads don't contain config.dat (I tried UK and German downloads). Bummer. I did grab the Indian version, and it does have a config.dat file.

Contents (for those who care):

Code:
YP-S5
KR KO UMS
BLK
I think that we've pretty well confirmed that the ROM itself is fine for flashing onto different devices. Worst case, you could wind up with a different language.

I also ran a CRC checksum against the ROM portion of the following:

US
UK
Indian
German

All of the s5j.rom files are *identical* - so the only difference between the installations is the config.dat

I think that you could probably download the flash from the US site and load it onto your system (along with the modified config.dat as I described below).

You might wind up with a couple of odd spellings between the versions of English. If you are wanting a different language than English, then I guess you could try fiddling with the second line of the config.dat file a bit - but if the Indian settings are any indication, it may not be all that easy to guess (26^4 combinations, right?).

Or you may be able to poke around in the folder structure of the YP-S5 and find a file that contains your current config.dat information?? The language setting has to be stored somewhere (and it's certainly not hard coded into the ROM).

Old 11-09-2008, 06:09 AM

Korean Firmware also gives you a lyrics display so it's another pro for changing firmware

Old 01-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich123 View Post
I just managed to switch the YP-S5 from MTP to UMS by installing the Korean firmware v1.50. I don't understand why North America and Europe are stuck with the MTP version while Asia and south America get the UMS version. Perhaps Samsung wants to experiment with DRM on a limited scale?.

MTP is really not user-friendly:
  • doesn't work under macos or linux (support through libmtp is still limited). Ubuntu is my main OS .
  • I couldn't get it work under XP ("error mtp device")
  • Does work under Vista, but only after installing the latest patches.
Use at your own risk -- not sure if this voids your warrranty. But the YP-S5 did survive my unsuccesful attempts with the previous firmware v1.07.

Download the asiatic V1.50 version from Samsung Singapore (it's an English site):
http://www.samsung.com/sg/support/do...isp_nm=YP-S5QW
Unzip the file and under Vista, put the S5.rom and Config.dat in the root of the S5. I also put he Config.dat file in the subdirectory SYSTEM/ -- not sure if this is needed, but it doesn't harm... I had some trouble with copy/pasting the files. Drag and drop did however work under Vista.

After unconnecting and starting up the YP-S5, the new firmware is installed. The display shows up in Korean. This is quickly fixed in the Settings/Language menu. The first submenu item allows you to switch the language.

The S5 is now automatically supported under Ubuntu, but with a small issue: two S5 devices are mounted. No big deal...

Enjoy
Can you provide a direct link to the asiatic version of the software as the link above seems to take me only to the uk version. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:54 PM

i installed the v1.50 firmware but the only thing that changed was that the firmware now says v1.50 .... nothing more. do you know what i can do to enable the lyrics to work?
and if i do fail again how do i revert back to its previous firmware?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:31 AM

Check this