android
Old 06-01-2009, 11:57 PM

Default Who makes the Siren players?

I received a Siren Edge 4GB player for my birthday and know next to nothing about it. My computer keeps telling me that I need a firmware update for it. Any advice? I looked for a manufacturer but was unable to find any info online. This is terrible! I can't even use my gift and I was so excited.....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-02-2009, 07:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

iriver makes the siren line of budget players. The link is to a different player, but it's just to confirm who manufacturer's the line: http://i.gizmodo.com/295787/irivers-...en-branded-dap

Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 PM

Default Siren not made by iriver

I emailed the iriver company and was told by their support dept that they were not the manufacturers of the Siren line of MP3 players. I have no idea where to go from here. There is no info online that I can find anywhere. Any help?

Old 06-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Sorry, no help but some bad news..

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?p=361038#post361038

You can see here

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/18/91/21/00/0018912100003_215X215.jpg

and here

http://www.amazon.com/Siren-SIR103-I...4004981&sr=8-7

that the ilo and the siren edge were made by the same company. The ilo was just rebranded for WalMart.

As I said in my earlier post I looked for help for months and got no response.

Once again sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Insignia Moderator

Heh, how did you get such an old player? Siren is long gone. I don't believe they ever released a firmware update for the Edge anyway.

What program is telling you that you need to update your firmware? I've never seen that before...

Old 06-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Default Siren.... UGH!

My husband got it for me for my birthday from Tuesday Morning specifically for listening to audio books. I feel bad because we don't have much money and he bought it for me anyway. I can't tell him because it would hurt his feelings and I actually don't think Tuesday Morning would take it back anyway. He spent $40 that we didn't have to make my b-day special. It is totally useless. I guess I will just chalk it up as a loss.

I keep getting an error message on the Overdrive Media Console that I have to use to download the audio books from my local library.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Insignia Moderator

That's interesting. I don't know why it's telling you that.

Why wouldn't they take it back? I'd be pretty pissed if a store sold me a player from a company that doesn't exist anymore.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Unfortunately the Siren/ilo players never supported audio books. Mp3, .wma and DRM .wma only. No playlist support or bookmarking makes it totally unsuitable for audio books. The only way to return to where you stopped would be to try to fast forward to where you stopped.

One question, Did it ever play the preinstalled songs? I have shopped at Tuesday Morning before and know about their "No Return On In Store Purchases" policy.

However there is an implied warranty that applies to almost all retail (and most private) purchases. He bought you a .mp3 player not a paperweight. If it ever functioned as a .mp3 player you probably have no recourse. However if it NEVER worked as a usable player with any of the supported file formats you should be able to return it for at least store credit.

If you still have your receipt I would try to return the player if it never worked. Be polite but firm and let the store management know you simply can't afford to buy a shiny piece of plastic that doesn't produce audio signals.

P.S. Give your husband a hug. At least he tried

Old 06-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ask him to return the player and get you a Sansa clip. It supports audio books, and it sounds fantastic. Plus, it's inexpensive.

Tags
4gb, edge, firmware, siren, update