android
Old 11-23-2006, 01:21 AM

Default Newbie headphone question

Is there a large difference in sound if I switched from the stock creative earbuds to an ep-630 or should I just save my money until I can afford better, more expensive iems?

Also, which is better an ep-630 or a v-moda bass freq?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2006, 08:20 AM
Banned

It depends what you like, of course, but I prefer the bass freq.

But I'd save $100 and go for the vibe, or the EX90

Old 11-23-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noKIDDing
Is there a large difference in sound if I switched from the stock creative earbuds to an ep-630 or should I just save my money until I can afford better, more expensive iems?

Also, which is better an ep-630 or a v-moda bass freq?
What kind of sound do your like?(ie. Lots of bass, Clear treble, punch bass, smooth mids etc)

Old 11-23-2006, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I mostly listen to rock and occasionally to some hiphop and acoustic music. I would like the earphones to have a warm full-sounding bass without overpowering clear mids and highs. Isolation is not that much of a problem as long as the earphone sounds great.

My budget is around $40 so would it be better for me to save for the vibe or other similarly priced earphones or should I just buy the v-moda bass freq?
Is there a big difference in sound from buds in the $10-$50 models to those in the $60-$100?

Old 11-24-2006, 06:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noKIDDing
Thanks for the reply.

I mostly listen to rock and occasionally to some hiphop and acoustic music. I would like the earphones to have a warm full-sounding bass without overpowering clear mids and highs. Isolation is not that much of a problem as long as the earphone sounds great.

My budget is around $40 so would it be better for me to save for the vibe or other similarly priced earphones or should I just buy the v-moda bass freq?
Is there a big difference in sound from buds in the $10-$50 models to those in the $60-$100?
Given your preferences, I recommend the Audio Technica ATH-CK7. They have a good bass that is not overpowered, precise mids and highs. While it will not isolate you from external noises as much as more expensive IEMs, in my opinion their isolation is very good. They're very comfortable too. (at least for my ears)

They're not exactly in your price range (they cost $69 + S&H at Audiocubes; I bought mine there), but I think they're worth every cent. I've got mine two months ago, and use them everyday while commuting between home and work.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Banned

I'd caution you against the ATH CK7. They are wonderful phones, and are comfortable and clear, and they are warmer and nicer than the ER6i, but they really lack bass and would not be a good phone for rock or hip hop, especially for someone who admits to wanting 'good bass'. I bought a pair on a trip to Singapore, and I enjoyed them immensely with the classical music I was listening to on that trip, but they really are too lacking in bass for rock, in my view.

I really would recommend saving a bit more cash, and would suggest the Panasonic HJE70 ($88, good bass, warm, comfortable, very cool!), the Sony EX90 ($90, the most comfortable IEMs on the planet) or the Vibe ($101). I own and love all three - and use the EX90 every time I walk or run, and the Vibe the rest of the time.

I am not a bass head (you can't hear my car stereo thumping when I drive past, and my balance controls are usually near neutral), but I like to hear the bass properly.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That sounds strange to me. I've been wearing the CK7s for two months while listening to rock, heavy metal, electronic music and some hip-hop in my daily commutes, and they've never disappointed me. I'm also no bass head, but like to have a fair amount of bass when listening to music.

Anyway, I found this review too.

A question: how does the Panasonic HJE70 compare to the CK7 regarding mids and highs? I found their design to be quite interesting, and the price is not that bad either. ($79 + S&H at Audiocubes, if my memory serves me)