android
Old 05-28-2009, 07:27 AM

Default My e270v1 is stuck at "Key LOCKED \ System Shutdown"

I've tried searching this forum and found lots about how to flash my firmware, but I couldn't find anyone else who was having exactly my problem.

Every time I turn it on, I get the "Key LOCKED, System Shutdown" message.
I can boot it to recovery mode.
I can use the sansa.fmt trick.
I can make it upgrade/downgrade to different firmware versions.
I even tried taking the battery out and waiting, then doing all of the above.
(I can see the VERSION.TXT file, which has all relevant information, but does have a lot of extra blank characters at the end. It does not appear to be corrupted.)

But after doing all those things, it still gives me that message when I turn it on, no matter which way the Lock switch is turned.

Is my switch broken? I just bought it "refurbished" and this is the only way it has behaved ever since I opened the box.

I'm starting to think Sansa must be one of the worst MP3 makers on the market if they can't be bothered to support their own products, or write firmware that doesn't bug out on half the players. I guess the premium you pay for an iPod or Zune goes toward making the damn thing work.

I've got plenty of experience with Linux, and you know why I use Windows right now? I'm sick and tired of creating accounts on forums and reading 50 pages to get my problem solved.

Yes I'm bitter.

Last edited by CountRumford; 05-28-2009 at 07:49 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-31-2009, 02:13 PM

sliding the hold switch to the left when you are looking at the front turns off hold. It doesnt turn on when the hold switch is on. Yours is probably broken.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Open it up and see if the hold switch is broken.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Open it up and see if the hold switch is broken.

I second this. The slide for the hold switch is made of plastic and may not be able to actually switch it. Open it up so you can get to the switch by hand.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:00 PM

did you try formatting it or is there dust under there?

Last edited by BE BOLD; 11-03-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountRumford View Post
I've tried searching this forum and found lots about how to flash my firmware, but I couldn't find anyone else who was having exactly my problem.

Every time I turn it on, I get the "Key LOCKED, System Shutdown" message.
I can boot it to recovery mode.
I can use the sansa.fmt trick.
I can make it upgrade/downgrade to different firmware versions.
I even tried taking the battery out and waiting, then doing all of the above.
(I can see the VERSION.TXT file, which has all relevant information, but does have a lot of extra blank characters at the end. It does not appear to be corrupted.)

But after doing all those things, it still gives me that message when I turn it on, no matter which way the Lock switch is turned.

Is my switch broken? I just bought it "refurbished" and this is the only way it has behaved ever since I opened the box.

I'm starting to think Sansa must be one of the worst MP3 makers on the market if they can't be bothered to support their own products, or write firmware that doesn't bug out on half the players. I guess the premium you pay for an iPod or Zune goes toward making the damn thing work.

I've got plenty of experience with Linux, and you know why I use Windows right now? I'm sick and tired of creating accounts on forums and reading 50 pages to get my problem solved.

Yes I'm bitter.
The switch is made of thin plastic and is broken. You must remove the back cover and the front face plate and remove the broken switch. Use very small screw drivers to remove the broken pieces of the switch. Push the switch in the player to on and close the unit.

You will not have a hold switch however your sansa player will now work.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:32 AM

It's possible that the switch isn't broken but that the switch on the logic board and the slider that moves it are not properly aligned. If the switch was in the hold position when the logic board was put back into the casing, but the slider was in the off position, they might not get connected.

Update: I had a chance to look inside of one of my e200's again and saw that, unlike with some other Sansas, it's not possible with these models to do what I described above. However, it might be possible to break the switch while putting the logic board back in the casing if the switch and slider are not aligned and one applies too much force.

Last edited by aarons510; 04-01-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: partial correction

Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 AM

My hold switch is broken and everyone's comments that it is flimsy is true. Not to happy, but whatever.

Just like everyone else says, open it up and switch it. Might want to think about removing the switch.
With knowledge, comes great power.
With power, comes great responsibility.
With responsibility, comes great wisdom.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 AM

Default The hold switch is NOT flimsy, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP62 View Post
My hold switch is broken and everyone's comments that it is flimsy is true.
I have opened up about 20 of the e200-series players, most of which were damaged and some of which were non-functional, but have never come across a broken hold switch. They're one of the least problematic parts of the hardware on these; it's probably nearly impossible to break one in normal use.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:22 AM

Once you remove the hold switch I’ve found that the e200 series doesn’t really need it if you have it in a case, my wife’s unit never changes while in case (ie she never uses hold). Haven’t tried it without a case but I assume the wheel would easily move without one in your pocket but I'm sure their buttons would not engage.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc