android
Old 05-25-2009, 01:19 AM

Lightbulb ARTIST= tag problem - solved?

Being a new D2+ owner, and having come from the iPod world where SQ is compromised for ease of syncing, I really wanted this purchase to work flawlessly - however, that has not been the case.

I realize a great majority of users here love the drag-and-drop "ness"of the D2 but I am a big fan of plug-in and update with no thinking required. That said, making sure all my Apple Lossless files got converted over to FLAC and then put into folders with the correct cover.jpg without using a media manager (I have a mac so nothing works well with the D2) has been a nightmare - especially when they all resulted in an ARTIST= kind of mis-tagging on the player itself.

I've read in several places that this issue can be solved by removing all the embedded FLAC album art, so... I installed a virtual machine, ran Windows, and installed the gamut of apps - from Album Art Downloader (very good for installing the cover.jpg into the correct folder), J.River (would not recognize D2+), Songbird (great but did not snyc), MP3tag (best thing yet) and MediaMonkey (yuck). Seven days and 20 beers later, I still got ARTIST= labels on the player even AFTER going into MP3tag and removing all embedded art.

FINALLY, after looking at what artists resulted in this error while others didn't I realized that in the ones that did, they had the extra tag of <ALBUM ARTIST> in MP3tag in the extended tags. I just selected all flacs, removed this field for all of them, selected them all again, and then saved them (very important to save before quitting).

NO MORE ARTIST= !!!!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 AM

Default ARTIST= what the????

Hey Chudalicious,

I'm on a PC and that crazy "Artist = (name)" stuff is displayed as the "Album Title" with my flacs files too!

I'm not sure what you mean in your post by the "xtra tag of" - but hey thanks for the heads up - I'm going to look a little more closely at all of the tag fields on my flacs.

TIP for flac album art
Displaying album art with flacs was somewhat hit or miss for me even if the image was displayed as properly "imbedded" in the MP3tag editor program.

I've been able to get consistent results by simply placing a JPG album cover image in the same folder as the audio files. Apparently the D2 automatically grabs that local image and displays it when you hit the play button. NOTE: It seems like the JPG file has to be named "cover.jpg" and the resolution should be modest in size, 500 x 500 like what Amazon uses seems to work.

Thanks again for the heads up on the tag issue!

Organ

Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM

Yeah, MP3Tag is pretty good, it's what I use for all tagging and renaming.
A few minor things that I've seen implemented slightly better in other programs, but very nice

Old 06-08-2009, 10:09 PM

after embedding album art with media monkey all my flac files have this artist =. My play lists are empty, and I still see no album art? How do you get rid of the artist =????

I don't see any extra tag of in mp3 tag (I'm not sure how to use this damn app!)

Can anyone chime in?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:37 AM

take out your flac's emedded album art and just put a cover.jpg image of it in the same folder as the songs you want to show that album.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 AM

This ARTIST=X + FLAC problem has nothing to do with Album art at all.

Its because the D2 can't read an "Album Artist" field for Flac files. Find a tool that will allow you to remove "Album Artist" and just keep "Artist", load the Flac back on your D2, and problem solved.

No Album Art Showing up in Flac file

The D2 can't read album art embedded in Flac tags, so just include a cover.jpg file in the DIR.

I think these bugs are also in the S9, so Cowon must be doing it on purpose, or there are'nt enough Flac listeners complaining to get thier attention.

Last edited by Leroy Bad; 06-09-2009 at 01:16 AM.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:46 PM

thanks guys, I will try the cover.jpg (I hope Cowon fixes this - embedded is better)

What tool can remove album artist? I tried erasing the field - no go. It seems you need to remove it completely?

Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 PM

You need a tag editor that lets you view/edit ID3v2. Delete whatever is in the "Album Artist" or remove the ID3v2 tag completely. Basically you only need ID3v1 for Flac.

Also keep in keep in mind that you can't edit Tags from files on the D2 without removing the files first. Otherwise the D2 will not see the changes.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:59 PM

done deal, spent hours getting it down. to remove artist = you are right. clear the album artist field. The d2 cant read it properly.

Just put cover.jpg in each folder of the relevant album to see album art.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 06-12-2009, 10:25 AM

Hey Leroy Bad,

Wow, what a difference, the Artist = problem has also been solved here too.

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
You need a tag editor that lets you view/edit ID3v2. Delete whatever is in the "Album Artist" or remove the ID3v2 tag completely. Basically you only need ID3v1 for Flac.

Also keep in keep in mind that you can't edit Tags from files on the D2 without removing the files first. Otherwise the D2 will not see the changes.
Wow! That does work. It's been years and I really have had no idea. Why hasn't Cowon updated their firmware to fix this problem? Basically, they just need to completely ignore the "Album Artist" or "AlbumArtist" ID3 tag. When referencing artists, they need to either use the "Band" tag or the "Artist" tag (preferably, the "band" tag). How hard could it be for them to fix this?

Thank Heaven for he program MP3tag.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:28 PM

it's been over a month for this topic, why resurrect it?

Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Spirit View Post
it's been over a month for this topic, why resurrect it?
Because the topic is still relevant and will continue to be so, until Cowon fixes the problems. Its a fustrating problem for a lot of people and I see nothing wrong with giving thanks to a solution.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Why doesn't someone send the bug to cowon?

Old 07-29-2009, 06:13 PM

LOL, but how could they NOT know about it? I remember this bug back in 2004 with the iAudioX5! And its followed all of thier FLAC and OGG playing players.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 PM

ahh, this crap was driving me crazy!!! luckily i dont have much FLAC yet.

Old 08-14-2010, 03:26 PM

EDIT: Nevermind, seems like I got it. I just removed all tags for the album in EasyTag, then rewrote the tags, saved the album, put it back on my Cowon, and now the album name displays correctly.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by h8uthemost; 08-14-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 PM

Sorry to double post but I wanted people to see this.

How exactly(by looking at the tags) can I know when an album will show up in the Cowon as Album= ? Because I don't see anything in EasyTag that looks out of place. What I've been having to do is convert my album from flac to ogg, drag/drop onto the Cowon and see if the album displays like that. If it does then I have to completely delete the tags and rewrite everything all over again.

But it would be nice to be able to tell that the album will show up like this before putting it onto the Cowon.

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8uthemost View Post
How exactly(by looking at the tags) can I know when an album will show up in the Cowon as Album= ? Because I don't see anything in EasyTag that looks out of place.
Short answer: What you need is a tag editor that allows you to display and modify the raw tag frames (name and content). There are very few applications (apart from libflac itself) that provide such low-level access to tags. The only one I know, and the one I use, is Mp3tag which allows you to do this in its "Extended tags..." dialogue. See whether there is a tag called "ALBUM ARTIST" or "ALBUMARTIST", and delete it, then your Cowon should display the tags correctly.

metaflac from the official FLAC library can also remove the tags. For example, execute
Code:
metaflac --remove-tag=ALBUMARTIST --remove-tag="ALBUM ARTIST" Filename.flac
to remove the problematic tags from a file, if it has them. (I hope the quotes part works like that). Unfortunately, it seems like metaflac doesn't take wildcards for directories or files, so unless you find a good GUI for it, you would have to execute this separately for each file, so I don't consider it a very good solution.

More in-depth answer:

The problem is in the way that the Cowon's software parses the FLAC's tags, which is pretty stupid. What it does when it tries to display the album title is scan the tags for a frame whose name starts with "ALBUM". It could read an actual album tag like "ALBUM=Name", where it then drops the next symbol following 'ALBUM', which it supposes is the '=', and displays the rest. It doesn't anticipate a tag like "ALBUM ARTIST=Blah", where it only looks at the first letters 'ALBUM', reckons it is the album tag, drops the next symbol after 'ALBUM' (a space in this case) and displays the rest: "ARTIST=Blah". I have encountered the same problem with the "ALBUMARTIST" tag, where my iAUDIO 7 just displays "RTIST=Blah" for album name, becuase it drops the 'A' after 'ALBUM'.

Cowon's software reads all tags sequentially, and if one tag appears multiple times, it uses the last one. I am not aware of any software that allows you to see or change the order of tags as they are actually stored in the file, not even Mp3tag (it sorts them alphabetically). But if you open your FLAC in a Hex editor and check the first few kilobytes, you can see in what order your tags appear. If there are "ALBUMARTIST" and/or "ALBUM ARTIST" tags, but they appear before the real "ALBUM" tag, your player will have no problem displaying the album.

I am using MediaMonkey for my collection (which I think is by far the best and most powerful music manager there ever was—I don't know what the guy above who commented "yuck" was referring to, but I suppose he didn't give it a real try). When MediaMonkey tags FLAC/OGG files, in order to maximise compatibility with as many other players as possible, who possibly all use a different field for the album artist, it writes this information into all of "ALBUMARTIST", "ALBUM ARTIST", and "ENSEMBLE" tags. This is completely legal and according to the tagging standard. The problem is that Cowon players have a very crude, non-robust method of reading the tags, which starts to fail once tags appear that it doesn't recognise, even if such tags are absolutely legal.

MediaMonkey, as far as I have seen, stores tags in the order "ALBUM", "ALBUM ARTIST", "ALBUMARTIST", which means that files I tagged with MediaMonkey will display the "RTIST=Blah" variant on my iAUDIO 7. Deleting both "ALBUMARTIST" and "ALBUM ARTIST" tags using Mp3tag fixes this problem. I suppose you could write a script for MediaMonkey to automatically remove these tags from all files, or you could manually remove them in Mp3tag, but you would have to repeat that every time you update your tags with an application that writes one of the problematic frames. Personally, I simply decided that it doesn't bother me enough to be worth the effort.

The easiest way to cleanse any of your FLAC files of the problematic tags, and make them "Cowon-compatible", would probably be to find a way to execute the metaflac command from above in a subdirectory-recursive manner over all your FLAC files in a given location.

Last edited by Anamon; 11-26-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great info, Anamon. Just want to add that Winamp 5 can edit raw FLAC tag data as well (for single files), and that Foobar2000 Masstagger lets you easily create scripts that remove the offending tag values from all your files in one go.

Tags
artwork, d2, d2+, flac, tag, tagging