android
Old 05-24-2009, 09:34 PM

Default What are your favorite features of this player?

Hello there, first post.
I have been looking for a good mp3 player for a while, and have basically boiled it down to this, the D2, and the Sansa Fuze. I am partial to the Fuze because my friend has one, my current mp3 player is a Sansa m250 (nothing fancy), and a bunch of my friends have them (Sansa's). But then thats a bit of a problem, because I don't want something that everyone else has (like iPoods ).
But anyway, back to the question: What are your favorite features of this player? What's something about this player that everytime you use it makes it worth the purchase?
Also, what are some nuisances?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2009, 10:09 PM

Nuisances:
-Browser times out in 5 seconds (bad if you have a large music collection)
-semi-difficult to use in your pocket (blind) unless the top buttons are configured a certain way (mine are +/-: vol, menu long: next track)
-little to no multiple playlist support

Pro's
-DPL (create a temporary playlist that lasts until you remove the music on it or until you upgrade firmware)
-Theme changing (I can't stand the original D2+ theme so I use a different one found on iAudiophile.net forums)
-Flash Skin (customized now playing screens, built in Flash)
-Flash player (can play flash-based applications)
-Radio (I love the Lewis and Floorwax radio show every morning, and would miss it without the radio, luckily I get good reception at school)
-Best sound quality of any PMP/DAP I've owned so far, I don't know how the sansa compares, but this thing rocks!

I've never owned a sansa (might get a clip in the future for a backup) but SanDisk makes some pretty solid products from what I've heard (a friend sent his clip through the wash twice without significant damage, the thing still works perfectly fine) none of my sansa-qequipped friends are unhappy with the player they have (some have clips, some fuzes) but I've never realy played with them, mainly because I've never really had the need to.

Before my D2 I had a Zune, I liked it, but I wasn't thrilled with it, before that a Samsung T9, again I liked it, but wasn't thrilled. This is my favorite of the three by far.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Pros: Flash Skins/Themes. BBE (makes for an awesome custom EQ). Flash apps (including a wikipedia app!!). Dictionary. Customizable hardware buttons.

Cons: It looks like a friggin' brick. Sometimes freezes when running flash apps. Also, did i mention that it looks like a friggin brick??

Old 05-24-2009, 10:51 PM

So with flash support, could I copy over a flash game and play it?
I don't think what it looks like is gonna matter much. Actually, looking like a brick might actually divert the possible thief/vandal.
Is the player responsive? My current mp3 player is usually unresponsive and it drives me nuts sometimes. :|

Old 05-24-2009, 10:54 PM

yes it's responsive and the flash game has to have a certain control scheme (arrow keys or mouse only) also should be 320x240 resolution

touch screen can be a pro or a con depending on your view as well

Old 05-25-2009, 01:01 AM

The best thing is its drag and drop.....No itunes.
The only thing I hate is the M button is in the wrong place. For those whon think its to thick remember its got awesome battery life.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:54 PM

Well, considering I use linux, MSC was a mandatory feature. If the MTP implementation is a good one, it might work in Amarok, but that's not really something I'm looking forward too. :/
I was thinking the touchscreen would be bothersome, but since no one has complained about it, I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

I have a couple questions about the player:
Does the player respect CD track for songs? I have all my music assorted in folders of the artist, then the album, and everything has been properly tagged by mp3tag, so I'm *hoping* that it won't be a problem. (Unlike my current player. It sorts all the songs randomly so I load up my music via playlists which take a lifetime to load.)

How do you load music onto the player? Can you just load a single album at a time (like my current), or can you load up many albums into one large playlist and then play them?
Edit: Let me rephrase that question. How do you play music currently on the player?

Last edited by superppl; 05-25-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:31 PM

if its like the s9 you can drag and drop as many albums as you want

Old 05-25-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superppl View Post
Well, considering I use linux, MSC was a mandatory feature. If the MTP implementation is a good one, it might work in Amarok, but that's not really something I'm looking forward too. :/
I was thinking the touchscreen would be bothersome, but since no one has complained about it, I'm hoping it won't be an issue.

Does the player respect CD track for songs? I have all my music assorted in folders of the artist, then the album, and everything has been properly tagged by mp3tag, so I'm *hoping* that it won't be a problem. (Unlike my current player. It sorts all the songs randomly so I load up my music via playlists which take a lifetime to load.)

How do you load music onto the player? Can you just load a single album at a time (like my current), or can you load up many albums into one large playlist and then play them?
Edit: Let me rephrase that question. How do you play music currently on the player?
Its all drag and drop. You can search via folders or ID3tags. I chose to use folder it makes it easy for me.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:43 PM

Sound quality and customisability (BBE+ sound enhancements and a 5 band custom EQ) are both brilliant

Seriously long battery life

Folder/File Browsing

SDHC Slot

DAB radio (on mine anyway)

Drag and drop file transfer. Hate synching.

Custom themes and flash skins

Some good aps, like the built in drawing programme (very basic) and calculator and there's a note pad and tube map someone else made I find useful as well.

I like the way you can find a file really quickly by tapping in a rough area on the scroll bar, and then using the down button to go page at a time rather than file at a time (with + firmware). Normally no more than two three presses to find what I'm looking for.

I like the screen. It's small but me for its fine for videos.

Cons:

No gapless

No proper playlist support

Despite the good system for browsing files, the UI makes you do a lot of screen presses to do anything in general

Won't recognise all album art, the album art wmp embeds wont show up. You may need to redo it all with MP3Tag (it's free though).

Despite the cons, I love this player.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:58 PM

The nice thing about the D2/D2+ is that you can search your music by EITHER the physical folder, or by the tags. It's the only player I know of that gives you this option.

I also have a Clip, which is supposed to sound similar to the Fuze. For me, the D2/D2+ sounds better, although the Clip does have a nice sound, as well.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:

I bought a D2+ about a month ago. I can't give a comparison against anything else since it's the first MP3 player I've ever bought. But in my experience so far, it rocks!!

Before I bought it I was worried about navigation using the touchscreen. I shouldn't have worried - it works fine. And you can navigate by Album/Artist/Genre/etc. or simply by folder.

Regarding tracks in albums, I've found that so long as all the tags are correct, tracks are played in the correct order within an album.

For loading, I currently set the USB mode to MSC and then just drag-and-drop from Windows Explorer, so I can do several folders/albums in one go or just a single track - it's very flexible. Since you're running Linux, you should be able to just use cp -r <source directory=""> <target directory="" on="" d2=""></target></source> source_directory target_directory_on_d2 from the command line if you want. Each time you disconnect the D2 from from the computer it switches itself off, and when you next switch it on it scans its internal memory (and the SD card if you've fitted one) and updates its internal database with any new music it's found.

The only real issue I've found is with playlists. From a fair bit of experimentation I did, it seems that you need to leave the USB mode set permanently to MTP. I believe some people have had reasonable success with creating playlists in MediaMonkey and then syncing in MTP mode. However, I loathe and detest MTP, as do many others. So for now I've simply given up on playlists. You can create one Dynamic Playlist (DPL) directly on the D2, but generally playlist support is rather poor on this device.

In summary, I use my D2+ for listening to music and really nothing else. I don't worry about album art or changing themes or flash player capabilities, 'cos I just wanted something to listen to music, so how the screen looks isn't important as I'm only looking at it for a few seconds while I select what I want to hear.

And I think the sound quality is excellent! To be fair though, my cousin has a Sansa Clip and says that sounds excellent too.

I had a few concerns about this player before I bought it, but now I've had mine several weeks, I'm seriously happy with it!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Hello there, first post.
I have been looking for a good mp3 player for a while, and have basically boiled it down to this, the D2, and the Sansa Fuze. I am partial to the Fuze because my friend has one, my current mp3 player is a Sansa m250 (nothing fancy), and a bunch of my friends have them (Sansa's). But then thats a bit of a problem, because I don't want something that everyone else has (like iPoods ).
But anyway, back to the question: What are your favorite features of this player? What's something about this player that everytime you use it makes it worth the purchase?
Also, what are some nuisances?
Of the two I think I prefer the Cowon D2. I have both and I use both of them quite a lot. The Fuze is better for Audible files and the D2 is better for videos and almost as good for audiobooks other than Audible. It plays Audible books but not the enhanced ones.

I watch a lot of videos on my D2. The screen is barely large enough but it is large enough. The Fuze will play videos but not well and the screen is just a little too small.

For music I don't care. Each is as good as the other. My earphones aren't good enough that I can tell the difference.

My suggestion is toss a coin. They're both fine players and you'll like whichever one you get.

Barry

Old 05-30-2009, 05:04 AM

Quote:
I have been looking for a good mp3 player for a while...
superppl, from your original post it seems your primary aim is to use your new device to play music, but correct me if I'm wrong!

My point is that the key to choosing lies in deciding first what's important to you. 2 months ago, before I'd bought anything, my priority was to find something just to listen to music with good sound quality and lots of capacity. I then chose the D2+ since it does all that!

However, if it had been important to me to watch video, install games to keep me amused when I'm bored, or even check my e-mail via wi-fi either at home or in public wi-fi hotspots, then I would have got an iPod Touch since it does all those things and has a larger screen.

So (with my apologies if I'm stating the obvious!), first decide which features are most important to you, and then decide which device you believe does those things best. One device might be better at video than another. Another device might be the best at Flash applications. But if those are features which really aren't that important to you, don't get distracted by them.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:22 AM

Pros:
- Small.
- Battery life. Real world 40+ hours music.
- MSC & drag/drop.
- SDHC gives a possible 48Gb flash memory.
- Customisable skins - either flash or non-flash.
- Fast UI. The UI could be a little better designed, but once you're used to it, it's very quick to find what you need. Is it responsive? Yes, always (with the exception of flash apps, see below).
- SQ.

Cons:
- Very sensitive to dodgy ID3 tags. Try searching for "database corruption" on here and iaudiophile.net . Learn how to use mp3tag.
- Playlists. Not that I personally care about them, but still, it's not good.

Doesn't matter either way:
- Video: why buy a device this small for video?
- Flash: ditto.
- Looks: are in the eye of the beholder. I think it looks great, YMMV.
- Radio: a bonus, but not important, unless it is...

@superppl
Just drag/drop as much as you like. Assuming (and it's a BIG assumption) your tags are good this works fine. See note above about database corruption. Next reboot after file copying, the D2 rebuilds its database.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:47 AM

[QUOTE
Doesn't matter either way:
- Video: why buy a device this small for video?
- Flash: ditto.
- Looks: are in the eye of the beholder. I think it looks great, YMMV.
- Radio: a bonus, but not important, unless it is...[/QUOTE]

The reason you buy a video player with a small screen is so that you can put it in your pocket and not have to carry a backpack. A 2.5" screen in front of your face is the same as a 20" TV across the room. I take it most of you are to young to remember having a 19" screen was awesome?

Radio for me is very important only because I use 88.5 to record from the FM transmitter of my sirius satellite radio.

So far everyone I have shown that has an ipod they now wish they knew about the D2. Hands down the best player on the market.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrhea View Post
I take it most of you are to young to remember having a 19" screen was awesome?
Heh ... I'm forty-three-and-a-quarter years old thanks. I remember having to get out of the chair to change channels .

Seriously, if you enjoy watching video on a 2.5" screen, then all power to you. I suspect you'd be in the minority however ...

Old 05-31-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
Heh ... I'm forty-three-and-a-quarter years old thanks. I remember having to get out of the chair to change channels .

Seriously, if you enjoy watching video on a 2.5" screen, then all power to you. I suspect you'd be in the minority however ...
Given the choice of a 2.5" screen and my 80" LCD I would take the 80" but for something that you can toss in your pocket the D2 screen is awesome. I guess anyone could carry the old 7" DVD players but then you would need to bust out the backpacks.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
...and 405-line black-and-white tranmissions ...when there was no BBC2 ...and stereo LPs were the latest thing in audio!

You may have guessed Ian that I'm of similar age to you. And there will be many reading this thread now thinking "What's an LP?"

But going back to the matter of small screens, likewise I personally see no appeal in watching anything longer than a couple of minutes on a screen the size of an iPod Touch or Sony PSP, let alone on anything smaller. Any TV show or movie that I want to watch, I'd far rather see on a proper screen from the comfort of my sofa. But then, each to their own!

Old 05-31-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_si View Post
...and 405-line black-and-white tranmissions ...when there was no BBC2 ...and stereo LPs were the latest thing in audio!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_si View Post
But then, each to their own!
Never a truer word spoken.