android
Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Sony Walkman X-series now at BestBuy.com

Still pre-order, but both the 16gb NWZX1051FBLK and 32gb NWZX1061FBLK are listed.

$299 and $399. I'm personally going to wait for the prices to drop.

Some facts culled from the spec sheet:
- 20 grams heavier than the Samsung P3 or Cowon S9.
- It lists Windows Media Player as it's Music Management Software.
- MP3, WMA, AAC-LC, L-PCM, AVC (H.264/AVC), MPEG-4, WMV.
- Up to 33 hours of music, up to 9 hours of video.
- No Bluetooth.

Last edited by Olley; 05-24-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-24-2009, 03:11 PM

I still can't believe that price. 299 and 399? For the same price you could get a touch that has a better Wifi browser and a lot of extras (which almost make up for the subpar sound).

And a bit unrelated, but I'm surprised that the Samsung P3 is STILL not officially out in the US yet (or at least, at Best Buy).

JL3001

Old 05-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

At these prices I'll steer clear myself, till they bottom out in the summer. Too much for a device that shouldn't be trying a head-on w/the Touch. Too bad, Sony really is trying hard, but releasing it at such a high price point won't help them.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 05-24-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yep. Selling for $100 over the 32gb price of the S9 and P3, yet not competing feature-to-feature with the Touch will kill any sales they might be expecting. With memory prices coming down there's a good chance the new Touch will have more features and sell for less than the current one.

Another ironic thing is that retailers that have Samsung P2s in stock still expect to get more for them than a P3 can be had for at MSRP.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Yep. Selling for $100 over the 32gb price of the S9 and P3, yet not competing feature-to-feature with the Touch will kill any sales they might be expecting. With memory prices coming down there's a good chance the new Touch will have more features and sell for less than the current one.

Another ironic thing is that retailers that have Samsung P2s in stock still expect to get more for them than a P3 can be had for at MSRP.
I noticed that myself, and figured that they would have adjusted the prices accordingly.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:56 AM

The X-series comes with 100 free songs=$100 and free Slacker radio

Old 05-31-2009, 07:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Slacker Radio is great, but hardly a selling point. My Blackberry Storm and iPod Touch BOTH have slacker & Pandora on them, and I put them there. W/the X1000 series, you get what you get.

Now, for the 100 free songs, that's a cool thing to give w/the player. But there's a problem w/that, as 99% of us would rather see the 32gb model priced @$299 instead of $399.

I can get my own tunes, as I'd rather buy a CD than download from Sony, or anybody for that matter.

Still, the price drop is just around the corner,.........................

Last edited by The DarkSide; 06-13-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:24 PM

So here is the equation of $300 sony player = $280 ipod touch player at 16gb:

100 free music downloads + tactile buttons + better SQ (including custom eq) + noise cancellation + better headphones + radio + drag and drop + audio input =apple apps +$20 + larger/res screen + better wifi + speaker + video out ability.

Does this seem equal? If not then which side (right or left) has higher value?

Here is my breakdown:
Personally, with great headphones (like se530) the better sq of sony over the touch and noise cancellation for sony becomes miniscule. The se530 isolates great to nearly equal any active noise cancellation features. On the bus or train I can't hear a thing outside of my music.

The app feature for ipod is so strong that makes the touch easily able to replace a $200-$400 pocket pc. My axim x50v pocket pc has been collecting dust for quite a while now. I mean it has from books, to games, to very useful utilities, to etc. The gaming is not too far off of a psp (that's saying a lot). I know I have stopped playing my psp in place of the ipod games (I can't speak for everyone though).

I should have considered both screens for video to be equal in the equation since sony has the good oled feature and ipod has a larger screen with better resolution.

I don't use the radio (useless to me) since I would use a Sony player to hear top quality sounding music and not horrible radio quality (64kbps). To me this defeats the purpose. To some a radio may be worth a little extra, I don't know.

Sony coming with better headphones and having a noise cancellation feature (only for the included headphones) is totally worthless to me since I already have (as do any audiophile) some premium headphones that not only sound better than the included phones but have great passive noise cancellation. The active noise cancellation feature seriously drains the battery which also makes it value go down for long plane trips. As far as the non audiophile, most think the ipod sounds great (trust me I asked many people who own ipods).

The only features I feel that indeed have worth for the sony is the drag and drop feature, the added play, pause, skip tactile buttons, and the 100 free music downloads (although there are many who download illegally for free). But to me the app ability of ipod along with the better wifi, speaker, and the extra saved $20 clearly blows those Sony advantages away (especially the extra saved $20, lol).

If sony offered a model with no wifi capability but was about a $100 cheaper then I would be all on it. I don't need another device with wi-fi (a bad one at that). I have 3 already, not counting my computers. If Sony plan to make money by introducing an app feature of their own then it is to their benefit to knock a significant amount off the price just to get it in more peoples hands (like what apple did to the iphone) in order to make a better profit on apps. I think this is why the PSP is relatively cheap.

Last edited by h1a8; 06-13-2009 at 08:31 PM.