android
Old 05-23-2009, 03:26 PM

Talking Rockbox now supports scripting using the LUA language

This is so cool... you can now control MediaMonkey or whatever music player you use on your computer by using your Sansa controls (must be connected to computer)! So far I can pause/play, stop, skip songs and control the volume(controls computer volume, not player)

There are more things to come with this scripting language on Rockbox. Rockbox seems to never stop surprising me!

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/MajorChanges
http://www.lua.org/

Music Organizer: MediaMonkey
My Last.fm

Last edited by helpme123; 05-23-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-23-2009, 11:34 PM

Its not that don't like playing with tech toys, but I wonder about the usefulness of this functionality. When would I find it easier to press the tiny (and somewhat difficult to use) controls on my Sansa instead of my mouse or keyboard? I don't get it.
Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to post one myself asking for more information about these two new functions in Rockbox's current build.

Last edited by KCrimson; 05-23-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpme123 View Post
This is so cool... you can now control MediaMonkey or whatever music player you use on your computer by using your Sansa controls (must be connected to computer)! So far I can pause/play, stop, skip songs and control the volume(controls computer volume, not player)

There are more things to come with this scripting language on Rockbox. Rockbox seems to never stop surprising me!

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/MajorChanges
http://www.lua.org/
This has nothing to do with Lua. Lua is a scripting language, which you can use to program a little on your sansa without recompiling Rockbox.

The stuff to control media monkey (it's awesome, isn't it?) isn't related to Lua, but to USB HID. It's part of a GSoC project to write a HID driver for Rockbox so you can use your dap as "human input device".

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrimson View Post
Its not that don't like playing with tech toys, but I wonder about the usefulness of this functionality. When would I find it easier to press the tiny (and somewhat difficult to use) controls on my Sansa instead of my mouse or keyboard? I don't get it.
Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to post one myself asking for more information about these two new functions in Rockbox's current build.
The usefulness depends on your lifestyle I guess. If you're in a living room with cordless keyboard, then the usefulness is limited. But I don't have this, and my sansa USB cable is longer then my keyboard cable, so that it's indeed slightly useful.

However, part of the project is to implement the whole HID thing, which isn't limited to multimedia functions. You can also use the dap as a PowerPoint control or something like that.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:24 PM
Rockbox Developer

A major part of it is also just improving the USB framework in Rockbox so that we can change what USB does, rather than just having Rockbox only able to be a single type of USB device (UMS).

Many modern keyboards have "multimedia" controls - a builtin play button, volume controls, etc. For simpler keyboards that don't have these, being able to use your MP3 player can be convenient even if you're at the keyboard because they can bypass whatever program you're using and pause the music without you having to mouse around to it, or alt-tab to it, or hit some shortcut combination as the phone rings (or whatever).

Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Angry Well, that function isnt working for me...

Nice to find this thread.

I've updated both my RB build and BL version just to try this whole "control-your-music-program-using-your-dap" thing.

And when I say "just to", it's literally "just to", cause I'm fine using an old version of RB (a custom build I did modify, to change the keypad) and don't plan to change it to a newer one, unless I get this working.

Well, it really surprised me when I saw that "You are now able to control your PC music player app using your DAP with USB HID while connected" phrase on RB MajorChanges page. But unfortunately nothing is happening here.

I'm using a Sansa E250. All I gotta do is turn on RB, plug my player to my PC, start my music app and voilą, right?

I tought maybe it had something with the version of a reverse BL I was using, then I downloaded RB Utility and updated it, but no success.

Can someone help me?

EDIT: Omg. LUA is developed by brazilians! It means "moon" in portuguese. Nice to see that, I'm brazilian too.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You don't need to update the bootloader, just install the latest rockbox build, boot rockbox and then plug in the USB cable. It'll send commands to any windows programs that are listening. foobar works well for me but thats all I've tried.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Oh, by "latest build" you really mean the latest one, not the latest STABLE one, right? That was the problem, my fault :P
I'm going right now to apply some patches to it, change my keymap and start using it from now on!

Talking about keymaps and that feature, it's possible to assing a function to the unused buttons on my Sansa? Like Record and Context Menu?

Damn, that is REALLY awesome! Congratulations for all of you who works on RB, it's getting better and better each day. Best wishes for your GSoC project, if this is already awesome, I wonder what's coming out when you guys finish that driver!

Old 07-29-2009, 02:18 AM

What would be the possibility of having an adapter (USB-USB connector) and software (a host mode driver) to allow us to plug a real keyboard into the Sansa?

This would make some things VERY easy!

Tags
lua, scripting, scripts