android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman > Walkman X Series

Old 05-21-2009, 09:13 AM

Default Sony Alienating Australians With Walkman X-Series Pricing

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/05/2...eries-pricing/

Well, whatever the reason may be, one fact remains above and beyond all: the X-Series Walkman simply costs more to own in Australia than most markets. According to several Australian websites, it appears that Sony is suggesting “the recommended retail price of the new NWZ-X1060F (32GB) Walkman is $799AU. The equivalent US model is currently on sale at Sony’s official online store for US$399. Based on current exchange rates, the American SonyStyle price equals AU$515.” This is a considerable upcharge for reasons that Sony Insider thinks is downright insulting to the Australian consumer. How can the touchscreen Walkman gain traction in the land down under with such pricing? However, this seems to be nothing new - historically, electronics have been more expensive in Australia compared to just about every other country in the world. Its truly pathetic.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 AM

It truly sucks!

But you learn to live with it. Also, most people now purchase online. MUCH cheaper.
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Banned

It would seem, that even accounting for exchange rates, folk in Aus and NZ really get screwed over in bricks and mortar retailers.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ony$tyle View Post
it appears that Sony is suggesting “the recommended retail price of the new NWZ-X1060F (32GB) Walkman is $799AU.
huh, now I sorta now why the touch is so popular. 32GB touch for $549AU.
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, considering that the processor is dated from 2006, I think it should be cheaper all across the planet, and Aus & NZ are really getting the biggest part of the shaft IMO.

@SonyInsider: http://www.sonyinsider.com/2009/05/2...ies-dissected/

Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 PM

that means I have to save more money??? nooooooooooooooo!!!

Old 05-31-2009, 04:15 PM

That is HARSH. I went into the Sony shop and fell in love with the X1000, but not with the price (£280 for 32gb, which is $450). So I promised I would get the X1000 IF it was under £200. And the next day, completely by chance, look what I found...

Sony X1000

Old 05-31-2009, 04:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not bad!!! But, considering how good the SQ and video quality is on the P3, I think THIS is a better deal all around: http://www.play.com/Electronics/Elec...r/Product.html

Old 06-01-2009, 01:05 AM

just came out here in NZ and the price is 599 for the 16gb version

Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrosaria View Post
You could buy a HIFIMAN for that much....lol

Old 06-01-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
You could buy a HIFIMAN for that much....lol
lol yeah... I could even buy a netbook and a 320gb hardrive.. but I still love the sony lol

Old 06-01-2009, 04:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
lol yeah... I could even buy a netbook and a 320gb hardrive.. but I still love the sony lol
jjr, you so crazy!!!!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Are you getting one jj??

God, thats like 6 weeks pay for me!!! .
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 06-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, TBH, NO Sony dap is worth that much. And the features it has really are disappointing for the price. jjr, please, think twice before you buy. It's really not worth it.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Well, TBH, NO Sony dap is worth that much. And the features it has really are disappointing for the price. jjr, please, think twice before you buy. It's really not worth it.
I am thinking really hard.. to be honest I will buy it if I get enough money.. but if I dont I'll get the s9

Old 06-09-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Best advice i have seen so far for x1000 potential buyers, i like that sexy zune hd, if importing does become an option for me, then i rather trade x1000 for zune hd.

Quote:
I am thinking really hard.. to be honest I will buy it if I get enough money.. but if I dont I'll get the s9
s9 is heaps better......actually x1000 is backward in many sense, cause sony isn't the company it used to be and the current walkman isn't the walkman that defined portable audio.....pity. enjoy x1000 anyway if u do end up getting it, at least for the audio part(quiet environment is required to fully enjoy its sq, since nc doesn't work well and everyday noise just takes away that sq instantly, chasing perfect sq in a crowded world and streets, i realize x1000 isn't as sq almighty as it first appeared to be.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
It truly sucks!

But you learn to live with it. Also, most people now purchase online. MUCH cheaper.
I totally agree with that

Old 06-14-2009, 06:05 AM

Default Go online, bro...

I am actually looking at upgrading my D2 and the shortlist is currently between:
- S9
- X1060
- Zune HD

The later could be a winner, but who knows how long it will take for it to be released?

I was looking at the Sony and waiting to hear the australian prices thinking they would be aligned to the Touch... Well it seems not... And the premium compared to overseas prices is not worth the local warranty (especially since it's not even serviced by Sony itself). EDIT: it's actually on the Australian site and its priced $799Au... I am tempted to go to the Sony shop on George St just to have a laugh at the sales guys...

Funnily it makes the option of buying the Japanese version attractive since it's cheaper and with more options (attrac lossless and gapless for me)...

Just check pricejapan.com

There is no doubt the Zune will be priced to go head to head to the touch, now the problem is more the lack of FLAC support / gapless... And it's a least 3 months away (if there is a worldwide release around the same period as the US)... It's a pitty I am going to Chicago in July and not September.

Leaves the S9, but I've grown tired of my D2 and I don't like the sound compared to my old X5... And since the S9 seems to be closer to the D2 than the X5...

No doubt about it, for us australian, online is the answer. Fingers crosses our dollar will continue to rise

Old 06-14-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globiboulga View Post
No doubt about it, for us australian, online is the answer. Fingers crosses our dollar will continue to rise
I can remember when it was almost a dollar for a dollar with the US around a year ago. I would have saved $100 or more when buying something (around $400AU) from an oversee's store (normal retail outlet) and have them ship it to Aus. Hopefully though, Sony will adjust their prices to be more competitive, equally priced in comparison to the US dollar would be nice.
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globiboulga View Post
I am actually looking at upgrading my D2 and the shortlist is currently between:
- S9
- X1060
- Zune HD

The later could be a winner, but who knows how long it will take for it to be release
u have got two winners in the list, while a loser in between.

so once again i am shocked to see the price $649AUD for 16GB, $799 for 32GB....like a PS3+few games price in australia.

this is my experience of importing X. I got my 16GB with the help from a friend in japan, because he only asked for 470AUD and i missed atrac so much. but the more i read about other players and check x1050 with rest of my walkmans, i just can't see how i have scored a bargain now.

So I spent 470AUD for 16GB, it looked like a good bargain to me on day one. but not anymore after majority of the promises turn into poor performances with X1050. X has showed me great sq indoor(library, home etc), but i can't rely on this NC still just like s700. so basically external noise can take away that sq from x1050 just like what it can do to other players.

in my local sony store, i can right now get a 16GB NC walkman NWZ-S739F with only $279AUD. i know how good S series is anyway. cause if i want a music only device, i may as well get that, instead of X walkman which i can't take advantage of any other functions.

anyway mate i hope u enjoy whatever u decide to get, while after i sell off my X, i will be more than happy to stick with my A829 or get the S739F or any other brands out there. MS is only a software company, yet it makes hot player like zune HD, i feel like a fool holding this thing and only choosing music icon all the time, i can do that with just about any other walkman.