android
Old 05-17-2009, 08:20 AM

Default Current Vs. Stable builds?

Which should I use? (Current build or release build) I know that current builds get more updates and features, but release build has fewer glitches. But I don't really know. I currently use stable build 3.2. Which do you use? (stable or release)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 AM

I use the latest stable. Unless there is something in the current that is missing from the stable that you really want, go with the tried & true.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:17 AM

That's like saying do you want mild, or spicy salsa. It's completely up to you.

I go with the current builds, because I like the USB features (along with the recent jpg album art). Also, the current builds I find to be fairly stable (yes, there are bugs, more than there would be in the stable). Not to mention, it is a little risky, as you will never no the exact behavior of your DAP, because every build has it's own set of quirks.

But if you want to be moer stable, and be like most of the world, go with stable.

Really, if your adventures enough to put your own firmware on your DAP, it really is a matter of choice.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Administrator

I use the current build. It has USB support enabled. Very sweet.

Since Rockbox 3.0 I have not found any glitches in any of the current builds. I'm not a power user so they may have been there and just didn't affect me. The one time I thought I found a bug it was a video encoding error on my part.

Rockbox is really easy to backup. Just save a copy of the.rockbox folder to another location or rbutil can do it for you. The stable version can always be reinstalled by simply copying the saved version back to the root of the player and letting it over write the current build. Makes test driving the current build a no worry_no brainer snap.

Also I feel the need to try to contribute to the project. I have enjoyed the results of the Rockbox Teams efforts immensely. Since I can't code a lick and have very limited funds I figure if I do find a bug and report it properly it could be useful.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

The SVN builds are better for pretty much everyone on a stable target like the e200. Releases are most useful for testing bugs and such.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:01 AM

Long time rockbox user here - I've used the current builds quite often, and usually not had a problem, but have run into bugs on occasion. Most of the time I use the daily builds.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:18 PM
Rockbox Developer

Why use the daily? They're basically the one build it's pretty much pointless to use.

Daily builds are just the last "current build" to happen before the end of the previous day. There's nothing special about them. They basically exist entirely for the purpose of keeping some recent older builds around for tracking down a recent bug.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:42 AM

Why not? I've just had better luck with them. Just an old, bad habit...

My experience with running into various bugs in the current build was some 3 or more years ago, when some of the things that were being changed were fairly major, and the trend back then was that the biggest changes seemed to happen during the middle of the days, and the daily builds were what had been sorted out as functional at the end of the day. Rockbox was quite a different animal back then. Obviously times have changed, and I'm sure that you're right, it's just that some old habits are hard to change. I don't update my rockbox as often as I used to - it works a lot better now overall. So in the future, I'll just use the current build, as per your suggestion - thanks!

Old 05-31-2009, 12:58 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduck View Post
My experience with running into various bugs in the current build was some 3 or more years ago
So well before rockbox ran on the Sansa.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 PM

Yes, I used it on an Iriver ihp140, which I still have around here somewhere. And rockbox truly saved my experience on that device! My eternal thanks to the developers!