android
Old 05-17-2009, 05:42 AM

Default Anyone confirm battery life?

The only reason I have not purchased this yet is because I still don't know the truth on the video playback battery life of this thing, and whether it will actually give me 11 hours. I have heard mixed reports.

Can I get the truth on this please? I can't get benchmark tests anywhere. I do a lot of rugged traveling in places without electricity, so battery life is BY FAR the most important thing for me. I love the larger screen and features, but ill go with the D2 if I can't get this 11 hours of battery life confirmed. THe D2 is tested and proven to give 10 hours, which is satisfying to me. I can sacrifice screen size and features for longer video playback battery life. If I can get 10 hours with the S9, im all for it, but im not gonna take a chance and gamble. I need to know for sure. RIght now, im sold on the D2, but the S9? Im just not sure yet.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd love to help you, but you'll have to come back in 11 hours or more.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Redneck Moderator

Its been 12 hours Olley, give us an update.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:45 PM

Yes, yes, I'm curious too

Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 AM

hhmm, why is it so hard to get updates on this? I don't feel like making a gamble on a $200+ item. Ill wait a few more days, but if I can't get any confirmation, im just going with the D2+.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry, but I'm not going to watch videos for 11 hours just to prove or disprove that the S9 can do it. I enjoy music from my S9 too much to give that up.

Given that it'll play music for 50+ hours with the screen off, and has a larger and better looking screen than the D2+, I don't know why anyone would default to a D2+ just because the manufacturer estimates were not proven. How many 11 hour videos do you have to watch anyway?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:08 AM

I got 60 hours of music using the same settings cowon used, havent tested it for video but i imagine the specs cowon list would be right for video if they were right for the music.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OK, I conceeded. I started my S9 playing videos at 8:57 this morning my time. It's now 12:03 and the S9 is just scrolling through the 2nd movie's credits. I'm not going to check it to see what the battery indicates, but rather just let it keep moving on to the next movie in the list. Bluetooth is off. I'll update later.

1:00 and the S9 is still playing along. I believe this is the 3rd movie it's in the midst of.
2:26 and the S9 is in it's 4th movie. No signs of running out. 5.5ish hours so far.
3:52 and still playing, although it's shut itself off twice now with a low battery warning. I discovered bluetooth had been ON, but not connected to anything. It's off now and I'm into my 5th movie about 13 minutes so far.

Last edited by Olley; 05-21-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OK, I got through 6 videos. 5 were full length movies and one was a 29 second clip. Add 15:35 into the 7th video.

8 hours, 54 minutes, and 56 seconds. It'll play video for a minute or two but then shut down with a low battery warning.

The S9 is still playing music (45 minutes so far) on the same charge with screen off.
The first 7.8 hours of video were with bluetooth on.

I'll have to run the test again with bluetooth OFF from the start. Yet 9 hours with it on is damned good.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:50 PM

Nice, good to hear someone's result. What did you have the screen brightness set to? Also, were you using an EQ?

Old 05-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No EQ. Brightness 4. Video certainly demands more from the battery than music does.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The S9 continued to play music with the backlight off and the hold button set for another 1 hr + 20 minutes after video would no longer play. The S9 turned back on and had no bars showing on the upper right guage icon. I've plugged it in for a recharge.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 PM

9 hours of video guaranteed with battery-sucking bluetooth on. nice...
and you were able to suck our and 1 hour 20 minutes of extra music listening time (without bluetooth). even more nice...

thanks olley for the test! (:
you probably could have gotten 11 hours of video without the bluetooth.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yea, I don't doubt 11 hours is doable.

I'm going to run the same test on my Samsung P3, iriver P7 and iriver SPINN. Just hope they automatically run videos back to back.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:24 AM

This thread has lain dormant for a couple of months, but I thought it would be more appropriate to bring it back then to start a new one because of the subject.

I've had my S9 for a couple of weeks now, and I'm wondering if anyone has a definitive answer about which setting(s) affect battery life the most. I've read how Cowon tests it, but I'd like some "field observations" from actual users.

I use my S9 mostly as a "medical device" in that it's how I get to sleep every night by setting it to be just a little louder than the permanent ringing in my ears from tinnitus.
So it runs almost through the whole night each night; probably about 5 or 6 hours every night. But I've found that the battery is at the 25% level after just 3 nights and that's when I put it back on the charger (USB off of computer).

So I'm wondering if my settings are making that much of a difference.
Specifically, the way I use it is:
With Bose QuietComfort2 head phones exclusively.
My User EQ settings with BBE and Mach3 and SST activated
Volume almost always at 7 to 9. Never less, never more.
Screen brightness set at 1 (plenty for use at night in the dark), and only on for selecting music.
Lock button on once the music is playing.

I don't think I'm overtaxing the battery other than maybe with my EQ settings, but I'm curious to see what other's have gotten for battery life.
Based on what happens, I "think" my total battery life, if left to go flat, would be around maybe 25 to 30 hours.
I have never even looked at the Bluetooth setting since I bought it so I'm going to assume it's off (but now that I mention it, I guess I should check it).
Still, I don't think that the Bluetooth feature is activated since this is a brand new unit that's never been opened before I got it (not a refurb or return).

I'm not actually complaining because I've never been even close to running my S9 to flat dead. I'm mostly curious to have a discussion as to which features affect battery life the most.

Any thoughts?

Ogg and Flac or I don't listen, and the Cowon X5L and S9 do it best for me.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You'll have to run yours to empty to know how well it'll do with your EQ settings. With he possibility of 50 hours playtime, I'm not interested in running such specific tests.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Also, OGG Vorbis and FLAC drain the battery faster than simple mp3 rips.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
True that!

Old 07-14-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Ahh, yes, I didn't actually say it but I'm sure that you figured out what I rip to by my signature.

Probably 90% of what's on my player are OGG's, and the remaining 10% are FLAC's.

Although I've read elsewhere that OGG's and FLAC's take more power to run, I don't really understand it since a comparable OOG to an MP3 file is smaller.

But OK, I'm good. It's clear that I'm pushing things on all fronts further than the S9 was "tested" at with the settings that Cowon states as their disclaimer on their claimed 50 hr. runtime.

I am very certain that I would see at least 30 hours if left to go to shutdown on its own, so I'm not at all disappointed with that.
But just for grins, I guess I should do a run to total shutdown just to see what it does and to reset the battery indicator.

Ogg and Flac or I don't listen, and the Cowon X5L and S9 do it best for me.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:45 PM

i left my S9 on accidentally from 10 PM to about... 12 PM the next day on volume 9 with heavy jet effect settings and i still had 3/4ths (or even sometimes full) battery.