android
Old 05-16-2009, 06:29 AM

Default Sony Walkman X-series Firmware & Hardware Sugestions

it's already out in the UK but there are some things that we would like to be added or changed as a firmware and hardware updates in the future...

1.an Accelerometer...like the ipod touch. the screen auto-rotates or ability to Turn Off or On the Accelerometer

2.built-in or uploadable Applications...basic stuff like say alarm, dictionary, world time, subway tube map of the well-known cities, wikipedia, flight details, online radio, games, etc. and a dedicated Sony Applications Store please!

3.smaller and easy access Hold button...let's face it the Hold button at the back seems awkward and we could do with a simple and much easier (flushed?) button to Hold/Freeze the screen.

4. Firmware updates to be regular. meaning say monthly or so like what they did with the amazing P2 and not every 4-6 months like the ipod touch.

5. more compatibility with newer formats such as Divx or Xvid and Flac

6.slightly bigger screen

7.ability of the player to recognise and "normalise" the volume. reality: we have MP3 songs that are 128k and 320k. the latter might sound a bit louder and a lot better but i hope they figure out a way to "equalise" and normalise the volume meaning a 128k song might sound “equal” to a 320k song but not necessarily better. if you know what i mean. (maybe a music upscaling feature similar to the P3)

8.external stereo speaker

9.Bluetooth capability!!! with some added capability to receive phone calls from a bluetooth-capable mobile phone if you are far from it.

10.Multi-touch capability for faster scrolling, zoom in & out, etc.

11.Noise-cancelling feature to be compatible with ALL known Sony earphones and not just the supplied earphones on the box

12. FM radio with RDS with the ability to recognise a country's radio station's name,etc.

13. the ability to create playlist (via the player itself and NOT thru a software) and be able to add songs to that playlist

14. Search button (like the ipod touch)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So you want a P3/S9/Touch/X1000 eh? Perhaps the Zune xYz will do the trick.

Honestly though. I don't expect Sony or anyone else to give us the perfect player. Ever. It's a bad business model. There will be nothing left to add to next year's model to get you to buy from them again.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:51 AM

1. don't count on it.

2. this is sony and its a media player not smartphone

3. the hold button on the A818 is a tad small for me, not sure how the bigger one will work, but it is a bit too big

4. sony does not do firmware updates unless they need to fix something such as a bug or problem with the device (speaking in regards to sonys mp3 players only)

5. maybe in a future model, but I doubt it

6. likely

7. not something that bothers me, never use 128k mp3s

8. external speaker is not needed, this is not an apple icrap

9. bluetooth? eh, wifi is where its at

10. this is def needed

11. hopefully sony will really focus in on connecting all their devices for the future

12. I don't even know if we have RDS in canada, so I personally don't think it is needed

13. on the go playlists should have been added ages ago, sony stalling for no apparent reason with this

14. don't know what this is, don't care for apple.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:18 AM

Default re: Sony Walkman X-series Firmware Updates

at the moment i have an ipod touch 8gb. Plus: multi-touch, brilliant Safari browser (albeit the no support for Falsh) and tons of useful free applications. Minus: CRAP AUDIO!!!

i have had 3 Sony MP3 Walmans in the past and the wonderful Samsung P2 & P3 which i sold for financial reasons. the sugestions & proposals i made were all a mixture of what i saw and what i think is lacking or needed on the new Sony X-series Walkman

i would agree there is no company that will make a perfect player but atleast we can try and tell them what we want and what the demand wants from them. there is no use for a player who has tons of applications but has a crap audio but on the other end it's also useless if you have a player who has a near perfect/high def/super duper sound but a crap internet browser or a company that only updates the firmware for bugs and not for adding features and so on.

there is no perfect MP3 player. but..we also have the right to have one.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:32 PM

well firstly, why the hell don't Walkmans support some kind of Lossless codec! inexcusable!!

secondly, there's a fix needs to be done: i have Play Mode set to Repeat - which should play first track of playlist after end of final track, right. But it doesn't. I got to the end of a playlist earlier today and expected it to start over - instead it started playing some random track from some other playlist

lastly, it plays YouTube direct (it seems, i haven't tried it) but doesn't support FLV! I mean Sony have generally been asleep at the wheel on both the macro and micro level but c'mon! i'm gonna look more closely at this new Zune for sure - and if Cowan start supporting playlists, it'll be goodbye Sony...

Old 06-02-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gino_76ph
but on the other end it's also useless if you have a player who has a near perfect/high def/super duper sound but a crap internet browser
Absolute 100% nonsense. You don't seem to realise that some people want a music player - I for one don't want or need wi-fi, and just because you do doesn't make it useless - in fact, the opposite.

There is no perfect mp3 player, you say. Correct, but why on earth do we have "the right" to have one?

In the 6 months I've been on this board, you claim to have owned the S9, iPod touch, the "amazing" P2 and the "brilliant" P3, and yet talk about "loyal" Sony users. I wish I had your financial problems, which enable you to get rid of the P2 and P3, yet have enough money to get an S9 and an iPod touch None seem to meet your lofty standards, and your endless wishlists aren't going to change that.

May I politely suggest that you find something you like and use it for more than 30 seconds without your ceaseless complaining?

Old 07-04-2009, 04:50 PM
Banned

I think he heard you.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 AM

I just want the display capabilities that the A series has:

1. Screensaver = off, so the screen will remain visible, all the time. Like, when powered with AC through the dock.

2. If not that, at least the New Song Pop-Up.

In other words, "is it too much to ask that you could actually see what the heck is playing?"

Thanks in advance, Sony.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascariss View Post
8. external speaker is not needed, this is not an apple icrap

9. bluetooth? eh, wifi is where its at

12. I don't even know if we have RDS in canada, so I personally don't think it is needed
I find a built-in speaker to be very useful for when I'm stuck on a site somewhere for listening to spoken word podcasts or audiobooks. Wearing headphones is not an option for me in this situation. So it's not just 'apple crap'. Often I will be using a MP3 capable mobile phone for this, as that's got a speaker built in.

Bluetooth with the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) profile is used when listening to media with Bluetooth wireless headphones or speakers. It would be great if more DAPs supported this. Most smart phones have this feature now.

Not sure myself if RDS is used in Canada. But here in Europe every station transmits RDS. Can be very useful for information about what you're listening to.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony don't do suggestions/firmware updates, they ONLY issue bug fixes - case closed!!!

Old 07-20-2009, 01:31 PM

[QUOTE=Ascariss;356750]

RDS exists in Canada. I used to have the EU firmware on my P2 and some stations were broadcasting the RDS info. Really wasn't worth the drop in "loudness" that resulted in the firmware change so I switch back to KR.
Apple iPod Touch 32gb (sigh) w/Fiio E1