android
Old 05-16-2009, 04:08 AM

Default New D2+ user trying to use on MAC OS

I am a long-time iPod user who recently discovered the wonderful SQ benefits of the D2+. Also, I have recently begun redoing my entire music collection in Apple Lossless as I still use iTunes as my main music manager. That said, I need to accomplish quite a few things before I can justify keeping the D2+ instead of filling Apple's pockets with yet another iPod purchase.

#1 - I have been converting all my ALACs over to FLACs using XLD and keeping in a separate folder on my desktop - this seems to be working well but if anyone has any other ideas, please shoot.

#2 - I need to find a media manager that is SUPPORTED BY MAC OS X that will not only read from the folder that all my FLAC are going into (so it needs to support FLAC first and foremost) but will also allow for ID3 tag corrections, album art, and the biggie, uploading to the D2.

I have tried Songbird and it looks great but the problem is that it won't recognize the D2 even after finagling with the MTP settings, which only seem to help out PC users. I even tried installing XNJB, but that looks to only support MP3's (no FLAC).

Can someone please help as I really do like the SQ and features of the D2+ and would hate to have to send it back due to inability to sync!?

Any help is VERY much appreciated!!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-16-2009, 04:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudalicious View Post
I am a long-time iPod user who recently discovered the wonderful SQ benefits of the D2+. Also, I have recently begun redoing my entire music collection in Apple Lossless as I still use iTunes as my main music manager. That said, I need to accomplish quite a few things before I can justify keeping the D2+ instead of filling Apple's pockets with yet another iPod purchase.

#1 - I have been converting all my ALACs over to FLACs using XLD and keeping in a separate folder on my desktop - this seems to be working well but if anyone has any other ideas, please shoot.

#2 - I need to find a media manager that is SUPPORTED BY MAC OS X that will not only read from the folder that all my FLAC are going into (so it needs to support FLAC first and foremost) but will also allow for ID3 tag corrections, album art, and the biggie, uploading to the D2.

I have tried Songbird and it looks great but the problem is that it won't recognize the D2 even after finagling with the MTP settings, which only seem to help out PC users. I even tried installing XNJB, but that looks to only support MP3's (no FLAC).

Can someone please help as I really do like the SQ and features of the D2+ and would hate to have to send it back due to inability to sync!?

Any help is VERY much appreciated!!
MTP is a strictly Windows thing....probably of no use to you. Try using the MSC mode of the D2+.....that should allow you to drag and drop music onto your player even if you can't "sync" it. Any further suggestions will have to come from either a Mac user or D2 owner, but it's all I could think of. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:54 PM

My main reasons for buying a D2+ recently were a) the reviews I'd read saying the SQ was better than on any iPod, and b) though I like Macs, I didn't want to be completely sucked into Apple-world!

I haven't actually tried connecting my D2+ with my Mac, as I've simply been using drag-and-drop while it's been connected to my PC.

If you set the D2+ USB mode to MSC, and then connect it to your Mac, the Mac should recognise it simply as an external USB storage device (or possibly 2 separate devices if you've put a memory card in your D2+). You should then be able to simply drag-and-drop from Finder, or if you're familiar with using a bash shell (i.e. command window), then you could write a simple shell script to sync your D2+.

Since I don't use any media manager for syncing my D2+ on either my PC or my Mac, I'm afraid I can't make any recommendations on one that might do everything you need. Personally I find it easier to use MediaMonkey on my PC only to correct ID3 tags, and then just use drag-and-drop to put files onto my D2+.

I hope you find some suitable media manager for your Mac, as it would really be a shame to give up the superior SQ of your D2+!

Old 05-16-2009, 09:43 PM

First off, thanks for your responses.

As for the syncing, I did drag and drop to the D2 and the SDHC that is inside it in order to get the songs that I am currently listening to. I was just hoping to make it a bit easier. Its just killing me that I worked so hard to get everything in iTunes just right w/artwork and genre and such, and now, I cannot use any of that and some artists even show up as RTIST=DAVE MATTHEWS BAND?! THat is not what the tag says? Nevermind trying to put a playlist together.

I did buy an 120gb classic and performed a blind test of the same lossless song on the D2+ and the 120gb iPod - D2 blew it out of the water and I brought it back to Best Buy. That said, I just bought a used 5.5g 80gb video and am planning on having it iModded in the future hoping that it blows the D2 out!

My only other option I can think of to keep the D2 is to utilize the Mac's ability to switch to a Windows platform using Bootcamp and to sync with my Cowon via the PC profile and MTP. If anyone has ever tried this, please let me know if it worked out!

As for now, still on the hunt.....

Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 PM

I had a similar problem with a few files which showed ARTIST=<whatever>something, but after I re-edited the tags via MediaMonkey they were fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudalicious View Post
My only other option I can think of to keep the D2 is to utilize the Mac's ability to switch to a Windows platform using Bootcamp and to sync with my Cowon via the PC profile and MTP. If anyone has ever tried this, please let me know if it worked out!
My brother's Mac is dual-boot so he can play PC games on it. From what I've seen it works just as any regular Windows PC. Admittedly, I haven't installed MediaMonkey on his "Mac PC" and tried syncing my D2+, but I'd be surprised if it didn't work.

Also, if you install vmware (which I believe is a free download), then you can run a virtual PC (i.e. Windows environment) in a separate window while running Mac OS X - my other brother has this configured on his MacBook, so I know it works. However, trying to get Windows to recognise a connected MTP device when it's actually running as a virtual PC under OS X might prove a bit tricky!</whatever>

Old 03-07-2010, 07:13 PM

I know this is an extremely late reply, but this is how I am managing my D2 with my mac.

CD's imported into ~/Music/rip using Max in Ogg Vorbis quality 6.

Music tagged using Picard, which moves the files into the correct directory structure in ~/Music/Collection. Also add cover.jpg to each album.

Now this is a pain, I copy whatever files I changed over to the D2, i think I might switch to rsync for this at some point, but I have not yet. Occasionally the D2 does not update the DB, and then I have to play with it until it cooperates.

I also use Play to play back my files.

Maybe this really late information will be of help.

Tags
cowon, d2, d2+, mac os, media manager