android
Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Buddy

Default Zune integration in new GM Camaro!

Hi folks:

Just a quick plug for the new Chevy Camaro - with native Zune connectivity support as a standard feature! That means a USB socket, command/control from the headunit, metadata and of course - charging.

Look for more vehicles coming online soon!

Cheers, Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zune-camaro-MAIN.MENU.jpg (50.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg zune-camaro-PODCAST.jpg (48.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg zune-camaro-PLAYBACK.jpg (57.6 KB, 45 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-17-2009, 09:47 PM

OK, that's cool.

Now if it would just work like that in a 2004 F150.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Buddy

Well, Ford vehicles have Zune support via Ford SYNC - but not as far back as 2004, sorry.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How about Nissan, Honda, Toyota? Uhm.... throw in Bluetooth into a Zune and any car with bluetooth will have Zune support.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Buddy

Bluetooth audio profiles are notoriously inconsistently implemented, and the car companies are having a very hard time supporting what has become a simply enormous test matrix of devices.

One of the prominent European car makers had 25 full time staff and almost 75 contractors just testing a selection of phones for Bluetooth handsfree compatibility because the device makers implementations of Bluetooth profiles is so inconsistent.

That kind of test matrix just doesn't scale - and especially not when you add new profiles (A2DP/AVRCP) and new devices (MP3 players/phones with AV profiles). For this reason, the car makers are scaling _back_ their support for Bluetooth (not handsfree - the AV stuff) in favor of wifi.

Today's OEM car stereos were spec'd and designed 3 years ago. Bets were made back then on Bluetooth for AV scenarios - bets which are not being made today. USB connectivity is overwhelmingly the favored approach (since you get full digital quality audio AND battery charging), followed by wifi.

But to your broader point - yes, I'm working with a substantial number of car makers, and you'll see more announcements about Zune connectivity in due course.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll agree about varied bluetooth support. I see it in the forums of any player that has bluetooth. I'm just lucky I guess, as I've got 4 different bluetooth headsets, a couple of bluetooth adapters for iPod docks, two different bluetooth adapters for ipods, a Philips speaker dock with bluetooth, a SPINN, S9, T10, P2 and now a P3, and a couple of Sony bluetooth transcievers. Add in a Samsung Instinct and iPhone 2.0, a Vtech home phone with bluetooth, a couple of bluetooth earpieces, an iMac and two Wii remotes. Everything works. Yes, I had to read several sets of instructions to learn the pairing sequences of each. My JBL headphones somehow eliminate that step though. They simply connect with anything that looks for them. The cowon S9 needed at least one firmware update to find my speaker dock adapters.

My point? Yes, the need to pair bluetooth devices, and strategies to do it confuse people. Many don't even understand the concept. It is a little like magic. But JBL somehow simplified it. The 3.0 spec is supposed to simplify it all around. Of course that's a whole new set of devices beyond what I already own.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkj1962 View Post
OK, that's cool.

Now if it would just work like that in a 2004 F150.
OK, not a 2004, but maybe newer:

http://www.syncmyride.com

Old 05-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Buddy

Yup, SYNC is very cool - and just so you know, the SYNC guys aren't done. They've got some cool stuff coming down the pipe!

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Dave,
Do you know if the current cars with sync are firmware upgradable?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Buddy

You mean the Ford SYNC vehicles? I believe they are, yes - although the upgrades are more "updates" - new device support and the like.

Did that answer your question?

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It sure did, Dave. You mentioned that the Sync team had more cool stuff coming. I'd be pizzed if my 2009 Mercury with Sync became obsolete when the 2011's showed up with ""cooler stuff" in them. Now the question is.... How does the update get to the car? USB thumb drive? Satellite uplink? A vi$it to the dealer?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Buddy

Well, fair's fair - a 2011 Mercury is ALWAYS going to have "cooler stuff" in it than your 2009 Mercury, SYNC or no SYNC.

I'm making no commitments or promises for the automotive team - I honestly don't know what they have in store, but I do understand that there is the means to update SYNC devices with support for new devices (although not necessarily wholesale new functionality).

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Buddy

BTW - I bumped into Alan Mulally (CEO of Ford) at the office today.

Well, not quite bumped - but as I was walking across campus to a meeting, I stopped by a press opportunity that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and Ford CEO Alan Mulally were conducting. To celebrate 1 million Ford SYNC equipped cars being sold, Ballmer was taking delivery of a new Ford Fusion.

Cool stuff.

Cheers, Dave.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A million Fords with Sync, and all Ballmer gets is a Fusion? Hybrid I presume. I hope those have more headroom than the Milan does.

Thanks for your continued presence, Dave. It somehow delights me to believe Microsoft is actually watching, even though I know you're not "ALL" of Microsoft.

Tags
auto, car, connect, zune