android
Old 02-03-2010, 04:08 AM

Default Unusual Connection problem Clip 2g v01.01.29A

I have a problem with my 2g v01.01.29A Clip not being recognized by either PC or OSX with 3 different usb cables.

It powers up and runs normally.... except that when it is plugged in it (turns on like you slid the power switch) it appears to be charging (battery icon flashing, but it actually behaves as if turned on... ie the radio plays and likely the mp3’s would too except that they are now deleted after I reformatted it in attempt to get this be recognized by my computers.

I have tried all 3 usb settings Auto, MTP and MSC plus the forced MSC via moving the power to the locked position, then keeping the center button held down while plugging in the USB cable.

I have tried to reset it. By sliding and holding the power up button for 15+ seconds (it just turns on and then immediately turns off long before the 15 seconds are up) Holding it up for a whole minute doesn’t do anything more...

I have done the *reset all* via it own settings menu.

I have *formatted* it via its own settings menu (erased all the current files)

I have another clip (same rev and model) that works fine with my 3 usb cables and my mac and PC I tried to get this one working with.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?
This one is my wife’s and I am losing face because I told her how great the clip was...

thanks alan

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-03-2010, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
I have a problem with my 2g v01.01.29A Clip not being recognized by either PC or OSX with 3 different usb cables.

It powers up and runs normally.... except that when it is plugged in it (turns on like you slid the power switch) it appears to be charging (battery icon flashing, but it actually behaves as if turned on... ie the radio plays and likely the mp3’s would too except that they are now deleted after I reformatted it in attempt to get this be recognized by my computers.

I have tried all 3 usb settings Auto, MTP and MSC plus the forced MSC via moving the power to the locked position, then keeping the center button held down while plugging in the USB cable.

I have tried to reset it. By sliding and holding the power up button for 15+ seconds (it just turns on and then immediately turns off long before the 15 seconds are up) Holding it up for a whole minute doesn’t do anything more...

I have done the *reset all* via it own settings menu.

I have *formatted* it via its own settings menu (erased all the current files)

I have another clip (same rev and model) that works fine with my 3 usb cables and my mac and PC I tried to get this one working with.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?
This one is my wife’s and I am losing face because I told her how great the clip was...

thanks alan
you may have a bad firmware installation. Reinstall it. You can get another copy and installation instructions here:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=22669

It would be a good idea to reformat it again (Fat32) before loading back your tunes. Good luck. Also before loading back tunes pick a mode (MTP or MSC) depending on your usage and leave it there. Autodetect setting can be buggy at times.

Last edited by oobergeek; 02-03-2010 at 05:02 AM.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 AM

Default Question

Hi, How can I install new firmware if I cannot get either my PC or OSX to recognize it?

Are you saying the Sansa updater running on a PC might see the clip enough to install new firmware?

I upgraded my firmware on my other working clip with OSX by just copying the binary to root and rebooted it.

Please clarify.

thanks alan

Old 02-03-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Hi, How can I install new firmware if I cannot get either my PC or OSX to recognize it?

Are you saying the Sansa updater running on a PC might see the clip enough to install new firmware?

I upgraded my firmware on my other working clip with OSX by just copying the binary to root and rebooted it.

Please clarify.

thanks alan
ok first off you have to get your problem clip recognized by your PC/OSX. Can you choose USB MODES from your Clip?. What happens when you choose MSC mode then plug the Clip into the computer?. No external drive pop up?.

Your first priority is to get your Clip recognized by your computer. Then follow the same procedure re:firmware upgrade as you did with your other Clip.

Last edited by oobergeek; 02-03-2010 at 05:22 AM.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:15 AM

Default Revive Dead Sansa Clip

Mine is a v1 Clip and I’m not sure if this will work for you, but I bricked mine on more than one occasion and it wouldn’t turn on, wouldn’t be recognized by pc, dead to the world.

What I did was to put hold on (slider switch down) and while pressing the center button I connected it to the pc, it connect in msc mode and appeared to come back to life (I didn't let go of center button until recognition occurred). I reinstalled the firmware and all was fine

Edit: BTW I forgot to say that on one occassion this trick didn't work, it stayed dead, I left the clip alone for a long while and tried again, it worked. So don't give up after the first try and let some time pass between tries.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-03-2010, 07:20 AM

You could try something like CheckUDisk to see if it's recognised by your pc. If it is, then it could be a problem with windows (not very likely since it's not seen by osx either). If it's not, it could be a problem with bad contacts on the usb port on the clip - if it's charging then it could be the signal pins.