android
Old 06-08-2006, 04:59 PM

Default Earphones

I purchased a set of Ultimate Ear super.fi 5 EB. This model is extended bass. I did a good bit of research on what to get. I chose these for the base. These little babies are awesome. Thunderous base without too much drop off in mid / tremble. I am considering second set of earphones (with a truer sound).
I would love to hear what others are using.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-11-2006, 10:49 AM

I'm using the shure E3c. Cost almost as much as the player, but well worth it in my opinion.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:49 PM

Cool Just Got E4c's - G R E A T !

FWIW, just received my Shure E4c's last Friday...

So far I've found them to be G R E A T !

Especially compared to the Sennheiser MX550's and ol' Philips SBC HS500's I was using before....

Mar
Xin SuperMacro-IV Amp
AudioLineOut Silver Dock Cable
MPIO FL100 (previously)
Sennheiser MX550 (previously)
Philips SBC HS500 (previously)

Old 06-13-2006, 04:05 PM

I've been using Altec Lansing iM616's for about a week. Very good sound reproduction. I was using Sony MDR-71's before these and the bass on the Sony's was boomy and uncontrolled. The iM616's have a tighter bass with better mid and high-end clarity. I'm actually hearing parts of vocals that I haven't heard before. And it has a switch to toggle the bass enhancement on/off to flatten the sound if you're a real audiophile.

Oh yeah, and the unit itself is built by Etymotic Research, but is marketed under Altec Lansing.

The price is right, too. Check Amazon.com

Old 07-01-2006, 09:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Good low-budget earphones

Hello,

I'm using the Sharp MD33S, and I'm not disappointed at all. They have a good noise isolation and the sound is very tight and detailed, with good highs and bass (not the exaggerated bass like some Sonys). I'm using it with the ZV:M and high-quality 320kbit/s MP3 files, and the result is amazing. It's not a Shure, Etymotic or other high-end brand, but I think the Sharps are among the best low-budget earphones out there (they cost $39 plus shipping at Audiocubes).

Old 07-02-2006, 03:08 AM

i use the sennheiser CX300 they're very nice earphone i've fallen asleep with them on twice since i got them.

but im no audiophile so i don't really know whats really good. i don't think that i could ever spend $300 on a set of headphones

i got them OEM versions on ebay for $34. they're usually $80 new

i'm so cheap

Old 07-02-2006, 08:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Post Cheaper earphones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonez
i use the sennheiser CX300 they're very nice earphone i've fallen asleep with them on twice since i got them.

but im no audiophile so i don't really know whats really good. i don't think that i could ever spend $300 on a set of headphones

i got them OEM versions on ebay for $34. they're usually $80 new

i'm so cheap
Yes, I agree with you. I've just shelled out $300 for the ZV:M, and I don't think I could spend another $300 on headphones indeed . After all, I listen to music when commuting from home to work and back, and in such circumstances I think the difference wouldn't be noticeable (to me).

Old 07-02-2006, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMy
I purchased a set of Ultimate Ear super.fi 5 EB. This model is extended bass. I did a good bit of research on what to get. I chose these for the base. These little babies are awesome. Thunderous base without too much drop off in mid / tremble. I am considering second set of earphones (with a truer sound).
I would love to hear what others are using.
Congrats on the EBs - I really love those phones...

If you want 'true' sound, get some Etymotic ER4, or if that's too expensive, get the ER6i.

Of course, if price doesn't matter, get some UE10, ACS T2 or Westone UM2. Or wait until the Shure E500 triple-driver IEMs are released.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:16 AM

what is the difference between the Etymotic ER-6 and the ER-6i?

they seem the same price, but only the ER-6 comes in black, and i would prefer black.

Old 07-09-2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stert
what is the difference between the Etymotic ER-6 and the ER-6i?

they seem the same price, but only the ER-6 comes in black, and i would prefer black.
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/epcomp.aspx

Old 07-09-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
so they are pretty much identical? i dont know exactly what all that means.

the "accuracy" is a lot higher in the 6. the resistance of the 6i is smaller and the sensitivity is a little bit higher.

which one of these improves the bass in the 6i like they claim?

Old 07-09-2006, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stert
so they are pretty much identical? i dont know exactly what all that means.

the "accuracy" is a lot higher in the 6. the resistance of the 6i is smaller and the sensitivity is a little bit higher.

which one of these improves the bass in the 6i like they claim?
None of the measurements tell you anything about the bass - I guess they redesigned the driver/armature inside the white IEM somewhat to get more bass out of it. But the black ER6 can handle bass too, if you EQ it a bit up.

For an IEM used with a mobile device in general: less impedance (Ohm), and more sensitivity (dB/mW) is better.

In the case of the Etymotics it's no difference - both have superior specs.

A friend of mine bought the black ER6i (because he has an iAudio, too and doesn't like white IEMs ) and I tested them thoroughly: great clear sound, good isolation - and enough bass if you turn up the EQ somewhat. The ER6 can handle lots of bass without distortion. It's just not there without EQing...

Old 11-11-2006, 06:10 PM

I used the shure e500pth and these are a great pair..the seperation between the instruments are awesome.. it sounds as if there is a seperate speaker for every instrument.. and i must mention that the bass response is great....i also have the sennheiser hd480...vmoda bass freq (the best bass response you will find for 50 dollars good sound overall...vmoda vibe. waiting for these to arrive in the mail.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Banned

I'm using Sony EX90, Vibe, SuperFi 5EB and E5s at the moment.

The E5s are nice, of course, but I'm glad I wasn't silly enough to go and buy them.

I prefer the Vibe for sound and the EX90 for the comfort and 'stick-in-the-ear' fit. I like the SuperFi 5EB a lot, just not quite as much.