android
Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 AM

Help This device cannot start. (Code 10) - Vista

I bought myself this P2 for Christmas in 2007, and it was working wonderfully up until I tried to put some new music on it (sorry I can't give an exact date, I didn't notice the problem right away).

Right now, when I plug my P2 into my computer (through a working USB slot, I've checked with my external HD), it gives the connect sound from windows, and does nothing.

I check the device manager and there it is. P2 with a yellow exclamation point. I check the status of this, and I get the following.

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I've checked the forums here, but I can't seem to get this to work. I've tried uninstalling the driver, turning off my computer, unplugging my computer, waiting 5 minutes, plugging and turning the computer back on, and I get the same message.

I found a link for a windows patch but Microsoft says I don't need it.

I can't change from MTP to UMS because I cannot access the device at all. I have tried this in my desktop, laptop, and a friends laptop and I get the same results every time.

The oddest thing I've noticed about this, is that if I have it connected and get the yellow exclamation, I can uninstall the driver, and press the reset button on the back. The P2 turns off and turns back on. As soon as it connects, vista attempts to find drivers for it, and after it starts looking and the P2 appears under the device manager, I can open it up under my computer and access the files. This time is very brief, and I was barely able to retrieve one music file (1.8mb in size) before the 'drivers finished installing' and rendered my device unusable.

Samsung's website is a joke, and everywhere else on the net doesn't seem to have the wealth of helpful people that this site has. I would really appreciate some advice, as I am completely lost in this issue.

I am running Vista Ultimate SP1 (32bit) on my desktop, and Vista Home Premium SP1 (32bit) on my laptop.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it helps, but I have the YP-P2JCB / XAA running firmware version 1.16

Last edited by Mulletdude; 05-11-2009 at 09:28 AM. Reason: More info to add

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

To start, the P2 is now up to version 5.10 firmware. Updating is as easy as downloading the firmware, unzipping it, then copy (or paste) the file to the P2.

Yes, I know your Vista PC isn't recognizing your P2 at the moment. You might try deleting the yellowed P2 listing in device driver, then restarting the PC. Plug the P2 back in then see if it sees and installs a driver for it. That original driver may have been corrupted.

If you get it to work, do the firmware Update ASAP. You're missing out on considerable potential the P2 has.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:12 PM

I was able to apply the newest firmware (via that small window where I can transfer files to the P2 before the driver 'finishes' installing and renders me unable to access my P2 from my comp). I go to system-about and I see Firmware Version 5.10

I enjoy some of the new features, but I'd like the old feature of being able to put music on it back. Applying the newest firmware did not fix my connection problem.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Now your problem is more likely a Vista problem than a P2 problem. Are you using the PC's USB port or a USB hub? Do other things work when using that same USB port? Any chance you could plug it into someone else's PC to see if it works there?

Just keep plugging away at it. I'd say "check the cable" if you hadn't been able to firmware update at least.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:10 AM

Other things work through the USB port, thats not the problem. It does sound like a vista problem, and a newer one at that.

Just tried it on a buddy's computer and it works fine. What the heck went wrong with my vista?

Old 05-12-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletdude View Post
Other things work through the USB port, thats not the problem. It does sound like a vista problem, and a newer one at that.

Just tried it on a buddy's computer and it works fine. What the heck went wrong with my vista?
It being vista.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtruth View Post
It being vista.
I'm well aware that it's vista, and this has worked before. I would like to know why it stopped working now and how to fix it.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd love to help, but until my Vista PC has the same problem I don't have any way to research the issue.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 PM

I sent a friendly e-mail to Samsung, and they told me it's a problem with the registry and that due to the complicated nature of this issue, I should call them. I'll post what happens after I call.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:08 PM

I called them, they told me to go to update.microsoft.com and select other updates. Aparently they didn't get the memo that when you go to Update.Microsfot.com, it opens your control panel to Windows Update. (he told me he was unable to help me because my computer is jacked up and I need to contact microsoft to receive assistance)

I tried to contact microsoft for support, and I'm outside the 90-day window so I have to pay 60 bucks to get support from them (not gonna happen)

I found an article on the knowledge base from microsoft, but when I downloaded the hotfix for 'Your USB audio device does not function correctly, and Device Manager shows a yellow exclamation mark on a computer that is running Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2008' (linky http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957080)

I read the article, and it describes EXACTLY what's going on with my P2, but when I download the hotfix it tells me that this update isn't required on this system.

Last edited by Mulletdude; 05-12-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:30 PM

Default Succeeded to read usp driver -solved ?!

Same problem happened to me code 10 and code 43.

Just wanted to mention that after lots of work something came up, I removed "Microsoft Windows Mobile Device Center" from "features and programs" android start working. (after reboot win7).

Tags
code 10, this device cannot start, vista