android
Old 06-30-2009, 03:01 AM

After this year's E3, I wasn't expecting anything major - turns out, Microsoft blew everyone out of the water with Project Natal, especially because it works. But to be honest, I was on the fence for a year or two for a PStriple or Xbawks. Things have changed for me, so I bought an Xbox a few weeks ago. Really, I only got it in preparation for The Beatles: Rock Band. I bought a Wii just for Brawl, and it was either the PS3 or Xbox for The Beatles.

Granted, I seriously considered a PS3. I love the Metal Gear Solid series. Blu-ray is really pretty, and I can't see any ISP providing enough pipeline for true Blu-ray quality video anytime soon. And then a few exclusives here and there. But after E3 and 3 years, it's clear Sony's going to be the biggest loser in the long run. After really exhausting themselves with the needlessly complicated Cell processor and expensive blu-ray drive, Sony is lagging behind and just trying to catchup with its competition. Then, you have issues with multi-platform games, like Fallout 3, which suffer from more issues than their Xbox or PC counterparts. This is due in part to the complications of the Cell processor - it is exotic and needlessly complicated to program for. Especially in this economic climate, game developers prefer the Xbox, because it is similar to something that's been around and they already know: the PC.

Microsoft seems to have found its stride - new 360's have finally gotten rid of that dreaded "red ring of death" with the new falcon motherboard (or chip?). Project Natal is amazing, works, and was the crowd-pleaser at E3. The 360 is slowly taking out one of the PS3's major selling points: exclusivity. Final Fantasy XIII will be available on the Xbox, sometime after it is released on the PS3. The only major change, apparently, will be the need to use multiple discs. Metal Gear Solid series is no longer exclusive, with the next title, Metal Gear Solid Rising available for both consoles. Ditto to the Tekken series and Street Fighter.

In as much I loved Sony in the past, they've really started sucking hard in just about everything. The PS3 hasn't seen a good pricecut, especially in this recession, while the Xbox is much more affordable. Backwards compatibility has been axed a while ago, which was also a major selling point - you'll have to pay an additional premium to find a BC PS3. They've released more SKUs than Xbox, taking out the backwards compatibility while adding additional hdd memory that the market didn't want. In lieu, most people don't want to HAVE to install their games on the PS3 to just play them - consoles aren't PCs, games are to be played on the get-go.

I could go on and on, but I'm tired tonight. My writing isn't very focused and really puts a lot in one post in this thread. It's late, and I'm not really a fanboy in this latest console war - I was just a consumer, sitting on the fence, waiting on Microsoft or Sony to provide me the better deal, and staying informed on the latest news (Kotaku.com). For me, I just wanted a casual Beatles machine.

With Microsoft's powerhouse E3 presentation that made me lean in favor of the Xbox, it literally took just a small tap to push me over the fence for a 360 - "All You Need is Love" will be a timed Xbox DLC exclusive for The Beatles: Rock Band, with all proceeds going to charity.

If you need specific clarification and comparison between either system, let me know. I can try to get back and address them. Lastly, if I had the time AND money, I would've definitely gotten both systems. Again, I'm a poor college student needing to make the most of my extra spending money.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-30-2009, 05:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

As far as E3 went, as an owner of both systems I thought Sony did a pretty good job. I mean they actually showed gameplay, whereas Microsoft showed 90% pre-rendered stuff and a buncha "What could this be?" speculative BS :P Oh and Milo was creepy, I dont want that shit on my consoles. Natal still could be fun, but for what? Minigames? Maybe if its cheap, it could work out, but its not going to be beneficial to the games that I like playing the most on consoles anyway, still kudos for making it intresting.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM

Let's hop PS3's last hurrah wasn't inFamous. That is a brilliant game, the best PS3 game so far. I'm getting Assasin's Creed for PS3. 360 has the edge of Halo. PS3 has Uncharted (which looks nice, but is more of a movie game lol) I'm curious though: WHat else does 360 have to offer in the games dept.? I looked on playstation.com, they have a steady stream of games coming in, maybe the occasional interesting one. But I haven't heard any 360 hype. I've already heard about Natal. WHat else is there, though?

Old 08-05-2009, 01:49 PM

Default xbox 360

microsoft did way better that sony hands down its got more new exclusives coming out like Alan wake, Left 4 dead 2, Halo 3 ODST followed by Reach, Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction. Guys, last i checked what they showed for Natal was a DEMO. So that would really mean that they will be updating it more to where u would be able to play the games u have right now with Natal(thats wat gameinformer said). And that little stick thingy that Sony came up with is just another step up from eye toy, with a wii remote and a camera(lame). Also the only thing that looked kinda good from sony was the PSP Go

Old 08-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Neither will do: Go Sega Saturn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 PM

personally I chose the ps3 because of bluray and GRAN TURISMO lol.. but seriously I prefer the ps3 than the xbox- games exclusive wise and functionality wise

Old 08-06-2009, 07:15 AM
Contributing Editor

Unless you have to have the couple of exclusive titles, go with the better machine. The PS3 blows away the xbox any day of the week. Its a blu-ray player, can play hulu videos, supports HD audio playback, better browser. To me, its a lot easier to access your music content, pics and vids too.

As far as the couple exclusive titles, Sony has their own also. Resistance is Sony's Halo fighter, and to me way better. I dont know, I never got into lasers shooting around everywhere. Blue and red streaks on the screen are so childish to me.

I suggest really thinking about the prospect of HD video streaming all of the time. We have some serious time until that happens. Plus, ISP's are already complaining about the data usage as it stands.

The xbox really does have reliability issues. Some people I know are on their 2nd and 3rd systems.

The online on the PS3 is pretty flawless now. I would have conceded to xbox a year ago, but they have upgrade that experience dramatically. Oh, and its free!!

It takes 3 hands to use the xbox controller(two to hold, on to use the buttons

Last edited by kasrhp; 08-06-2009 at 07:23 AM.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasrhp View Post
It takes 3 hands to use the xbox controller(two to hold, on to use the buttons
While I don't agree with all your points, I certainly can see the case for them...except for this one...

The 360 controller absolutely destroys the toy-ish, crappy plastic, loose joystick Playstation 3 controller. The 360 controller feels like an extension of your hand when you're using it. Maybe you're thinking of the old Duke controller of the original xbox but the S-type controllers of the old xbox were great and the new ones are even better.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTerminator15LOL View Post
microsoft did way better that sony hands down its got more new exclusives coming out like Alan wake, Left 4 dead 2, Halo 3 ODST followed by Reach, Mass Effect 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction.
that made me lol. Everybody likes different game don't they.

Quote:
Guys, last i checked what they showed for Natal was a DEMO.
Last time I checked it was also still largely a marketing video. Everybody can make a marketing video, but there's no proof that the thing actually works. What they showed live @ E3 was just the same thing the PS2 Eyetoy could.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumx4182 View Post
While I don't agree with all your points, I certainly can see the case for them...except for this one...

The 360 controller absolutely destroys the toy-ish, crappy plastic, loose joystick Playstation 3 controller. The 360 controller feels like an extension of your hand when you're using it. Maybe you're thinking of the old Duke controller of the original xbox but the S-type controllers of the old xbox were great and the new ones are even better.
I respect your opinion but.. IMO the ps3 controller is better than the xb0x 360's one. I just like the shape better and I think its more precise than the 360 controller

Old 08-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

PS2 ftw.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:41 AM

lolz Marv! - It's still true over here - only 2 ppl I know own a PS3 (and they dont use it!! lol)

But over the PS3 vs 360 controllers, I must side with the 360. To me it is more ergonomically designed, and I feel that after I got used to it, I was able to navigate much quicker then I was the PS3 controller.

Although, I do like the look of the PS3 controller lol
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 AM

360 controlller is pretty comfy. I'd rather have the PS3 though because the lower trigger buttons are easier to reach. Plus, the way I play some fighting games, the PS3 controller is just plain easier to use.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:11 PM

From the looks of things atm, it all boils down to whether you have friends with one or the games you like more. They both have the same amount of good exclusives, great marketplace games, and etc. ps3 generally ends up being cheaper in the end though.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM

U know what...THE PC OWNS ALL!!! but seriously it does :P well if u have wireless internet u can surf the web with ps3, free online multiplayer support, no major hardware failure that i know of(besides overheating)...but yeah...i vote for PS3

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever" -Gandhi

Old 01-28-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
U know what...THE PC OWNS ALL!!! but seriously it does :P
Agreed . Once u've bought/built a power house- cheaper games, full internet access(& free). I've got a 360 controller, so play all racers & platformers with, & reserve my keyboard & mouse combo for 1st person shooters, RPGs, & MMORPGs(former warcraft addict)

Old 01-29-2010, 01:12 PM

I wish i had a good gaming computer so i could play sweet pc games, but alas, i have one from like 2003 or something lol

Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I just purchased a PS3 slim, and can't wait until I get my hands on Uncharted 2. A lot of people are recognizing it as the best game ever, regardless of console. Now I own all three of the advanced consoles, The Wii, 360 and now the Slim.

P.S. As for gaming on computers, it's a waste of money, IMO. They do have the most advanced games on the market, but I cannot justify the premium cost to acquire one

Old 01-30-2010, 09:39 PM

yeah, ultimately that's wha i decided. If you're gonna spend that much money on a computer, it's gotta have other practical edges compared to a regular one, such as space, speed, etc.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:08 PM

PS3? I own one... I'd get the360 if there was anything that attracted me. I don't really know how to tell if online is better on which system lol, the only game i'd like to play on 360 is the halo series. But other then that I'm not gonnna get the system just for that game. Also, lets say multiplatform games. COD MW2. I play online on my ps3 for free but the 360 you have to pay. What for? In my opinion I dont want to pay for that.. also if online is better on the xbox then how? Another example super street fighter 4. I've been playing that game a lot lately. My friend has a 360 and he's also been playing the same game... it's the same thing but it's kinda a waste that he has to pay.

I don't want to get into those fan boy arguments. So no offense to anyone just my opinions.