android
Old 05-09-2009, 07:42 PM

Default Opinions Please: XBox 360 or PS3

Well the title says it all. Am going to buy one of these in a couple of months, interested to hear people's opinions on which is the better bet.

Bluray isn't a big factor for me by the way. I think everything is going digital in the next few years anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 AM

I don't have either but I would go for PS3

it's really like a DAP it depends on what your needs/wants are
if you state those I'm sure you will get better quality replies

and it also may depend on what happens at this years E3,
http://www.joystiq.com/ should have pretty good coverage
some E3's allot of new games/peripherals and company alliances get announced so it may sway your decision just a little bit

-zer0shen

Old 05-10-2009, 07:17 AM

Look at your budget, look at the games you're interested in and you should come to a conclusion yourself.

For me the PS3 is better because the 360 has a lot of great shooters and RPG's, but it sorely missing innovative and unique games like Heavy Rain and Flower.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:00 AM

I would go for the PS3. People may say that the 360 is cheaper, but I worked out that over time, the S3 is better value.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:37 PM

PS3

Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

360 for sure. The only reason I can see for picking PS3 is if you really want a blu-ray player. 360 has better online support (although you have to pay to use it, it really is better). It generally gets DLC at least a few days before PS3. The games generally play and look at least marginally better on xbox (I find that most games have better shading and more realistic lighting on xbox though this difference is becoming smaller as we progress further into this generation, it was MUCH more noticeable early on). Xbox has better exclusives IMHO (Too Human, Halo, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect). Games are still developed on 360 and ported to PS3 so knowing this, IMHO, the games will generally always play slightly better on 360. I much prefer the 360 controller to the PS3. Fills your hands and feels more ergonomic than the PS3 and the PS3's controllers feel cheaper.

And yes, realiablity is an issue with 360s but with the warranty from Best Buy, I've been able to get a new 360 no questions asked and keep my hard drive so I didn't lose my data. And honestly, go to a game store and go to the displays, the PS3 is almost NEVER working and I maintain that game store conditions are the worst conditions for a system to be in. They are stuck in a polycarbonate or plexiclass case with little to no air flow and playing for 10-12 hours a day. I'd say the Wii is functional 75% of the time, 360 is functional 50% of the time, and PS3 is functional 25% of the time.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:44 PM

Xbox 360. Better games.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

depends on what you're looking for. if you want to play online games, then 360 for sure. if you want super amazing graphics, the PS3, obviously.

also, PS3 games aren't all crap. I mean, they have MGS4.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouswonderer View Post
if you want super amazing graphics, the PS3, obviously.
I disagree...both systems are amazing graphically, but when compared head to head, I have to lean 360. Movies, yes, the blu-ray will obviously kill DVD or if you go with a used one, HD-DVD will be a closer comparison. But strictly games, you can't go wrong with either but depending on personal preference, you might have an inclination one way or the other. But it's not "obviously" as you said it was...

Old 05-11-2009, 01:06 AM

I think things have picked up allot on the PS3, sure last year the graphics were definitely better on Xbox, things are changing now the developers are finally getting to know the PS3 better and it's showing

for me my choice is the PS3 because of games like wipEout HD, God of War, the SingStar series, the experimental games being released on the PS3 network, my love for the eyetoy kinetic games(that I doubt will gets sequels on the PS3), the ability to upgrade it's internal HD to prettymuch what ever size you like, the BlueRay playback(I don't need a blueray player now but I'll deffinalty want one in time)

and the negitives, the 360 controller feels more comfortable but it's D-Pad is even worse than the PS3's stupid cross d pad thing they have at times, though I like how the PS3 pad is syemtrical and it's bluetooth so it can be used with allot of devices that also use BT
oh and SEGA
whats up with you???, 360 gets REZ HD and now Virtual-On, one more of those gems and I'll be picking up a 360

oh and
that would have given the PS3 the edge back in the day

-Stevie

I'm sorry mods
how on earth do I make a link not a full on video thingmahjig
I have been trying to make it just into a link but it ain't working
sorry all

Last edited by dreamingthelife; 05-11-2009 at 01:15 AM.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:56 AM

Thanks all.

I deliberately didn't give too many details about my gaming preferences because I wanted as open opinions as possible about why people thought one was better than the other.

Re. Graphics - from my research so far the XBox 360 wins, although less powerful on paper than PS3 is designed in such a way as to be very easy to programme for. This means most cross-platform games are being made on 360 and ported to PS3, and end up looking worse. Of course over the years developers will get the hang of PS3 and it will doubtless end up superior in that area.

But I think either is good enough for me in terms of graphics as it stands anyway.

Since all the games I want immediately (RE5, SF4, VF5) are on both platforms, the decider is really the unique games, so what do people think about these?

PS3 - MGS, sing star, little big planet

360 - Gears of War, Halo series

These are the ones I know of - Rez and Virtual-On? love those games, didn't know those were on Xbox. Am I missing any vital exclusive games which should be a part of my descision? My favorite sort of game is fast paced reaction based games - like fighting games for example.

Right now X-box is winning, as for the price I can get a lot more for my budget (300), although Sing Star (I know it's cheesy but I love singing) will be missed if I go that way.

Last edited by EddieE; 05-11-2009 at 05:39 AM.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Choosing a console is starting to sound more like choosing a religion/cult tbh :P

Anyway, best advice, get the console that your friends get. If you got no friends (With consoles), making friends can be somewhat easier on x-box 360, but Live! is full of pre-teen cussers so, you have to suffer through that...

Exclusives can be easily summed up with this list. The guy who wrote it obviously states that he might have missed a few but he seems to be fairly well up to date with both systems.

I chose a PS3 because all my work mates bought it. They bought it for the blueray player which they hook up to they're expensive home theater setups. We're also a bunch of PC gamers, so most of the x-box 360 exclusives we want to play, will eventualy come to the PC anyway. If not already made alongside the 360. PS3 games may never, atleast not the ones Sony owns.

Last edited by Jack4L; 05-11-2009 at 11:02 AM.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

if you really want to sing...you can always get rock band 2. I recommend it over Guitar Hero even though Guitar Hero World Tour is full band now cause Activision is really milking the GH series for all it's worth. They are released about 6 games this year and all individual where Harmonix has released RB1, RB2, and RB:AC/DC and they have made it so that you can "rip" the songs off the discs and play them all on 1 disc. So I can pop in my RB2 disc and play songs from all three games. Plus, there's over 400 songs released as DLC via Xbox Live Marketplace. You can almost be assured that any future games will be the same way or instead of releasing some shitty half-assed game, they will just release DLC and wait to make RB3. And there is RB:Beatles coming out if you're into that kind of music.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:31 AM

LOL yeah it does read like joining a cult. I guess because they're so expensive that the average person (like me) can only afford one, so it's got to be the right decision.

Yeah that "mates factor" is an important one, right now my brother and two mates have a 360 and I know no one with a PS3, so that's more scores in the 360 column.

I think once Pro Evo Soccer '10 comes out (no point getting '09 when I buy, as '10 is out in Oct) that will come into it's own as a 360 owning mate is an Evo enthusiast like me, online play would help the fact we are now both 30 now and too lazy to go across London to play each other too much these days. J

At this point in time, I'm in the 360 camp without a doubt. Shame you have to pay for the online service but from what I read it is worth it.

If Rock Band does what SingStar does anyway, then Id say its a done deal.

Thanks again for the opinions and advice everyone. J

Old 05-21-2009, 09:15 AM

I say give the PS3 another look, or atleast get the 360 and be open to get a PS3 at some point in the future, like if(when) they release a smaller more efficient model
Rockband may be a good singstar replacement but not a great one(I doubt RB's it's got any Tom Jones on it)

so what 360 will you be picking up?, I hear the Elite model is going pretty cheap in some parts of the globe, also I guess it depends on which model has the least problems

(oh and you said you liked fast paced reaction then wipEout HD might be right up your ally, it also great close knit online comunity)

-Steve

Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
Right now X-box is winning, as for the price I can get a lot more for my budget (300), although Sing Star (I know it's cheesy but I love singing) will be missed if I go that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
If Rock Band does what SingStar does anyway, then I’d say it’s a done deal.
If you REALLY want singstar, I would buy a PS2 (since you mentioned your now leaning toward the 360) and just buy the singstar games. (youd have to be made of money though lols)

Last time i checked they are still releasing singstar games for the PS2 for cheaper than the PS3, and the PS2 is like only $100 US. itsa bargain!

hehe, just cheat the market!!! lolz, Dont know how that would go on your budget though!!.... (probably just ignore the above ^^^ ... Yeah, ignoring it would be the best thing! lolz)
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Last edited by copeys; 05-21-2009 at 09:50 AM.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingthelife View Post
Rockband may be a good singstar replacement but not a great one(I doubt RB's it's got any Tom Jones on it)
Buying a music game cause of 1 artist is kinda pointless. I mean, Rock Band probably has plenty of music not found on Sing Star AND it has the ability to play guitar, bass, or drums...also a feature not found on sing star. So it basically does everything sing star does, plus additional features that add years to the replayability and has an ever expanding library of music that could at one point could include Tom Jones. No one would have expected to have Steven Colbert on Rock Band either, but he is...lol...stranger things have happened.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:23 PM

PS3 will last longer and and Sony will release games for it for a very long time, I mean look were two years in next generation and PS2 is still getting new games and the original Xbox no longer has games, I am pissed that I even bought that POS Xbox original.

PS3 has great online gaming and the Xbox is no better.

Xbox is a piece of shit that breaks on you because Microsoft didn't take the time to improve cooling.

I do agree that the Xbox controller is better and the Xbox Elite is good.

So if you get an Xbox make sure it is the Elite

You can also freely put another OS aside the ps3 one like Linux.
Can't beat that.

Last edited by eboyer93; 05-21-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:26 AM

Personally i would go with a 360 as my dad has the ps3 and i find that the 360 is just more fun... also i think the graphics of the 360 are just as good as the Ps3... only diff is the blueray...
as software goes 360 is more user friendly...

a big factor for me is what type of games you want... for racing i recommend the ps3 which is the reason my dad bought his....

but if you want to have loads of fun with ya mates then i would go with the 360 and for shooters and sport...

lastly the price tag of an xbox is roughly 169 and the Ps3 is around 299

i dont think the ps3 is worth over a hundred more for what.. blueray... just get a 40 blue ray player....

Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeZza. View Post
but if you want to have loads of fun with ya mates then i would go with the 360 and for shooters and sport...

lastly the price tag of an xbox is roughly 169 and the Ps3 is around 299

i dont think the ps3 is worth over a hundred more for what.. blueray... just get a 40 blue ray player....
Can just as easily play games online with the PS3 as with the 360 if you have friends who have the same system. xBox Live just makes it easier to get random people into a game.

Also on the price thing, depending on where you live, you will eventualy either pay the same price as the PS3 or more with the xBox Live! charges added in. This was actually discussed as one of the top reasons all my work mates got th PS3 for... With PS3, there are no additional online charges, but with xBox 360, you need to pay 60€ a year (for you yanks, thats like 80-90$ depending on how well your currancy is doing ). So in my case with my work mates, we would have ended up paying about 20€ more, for 1.5 years of playing online games together if we had gone with the 360, and thats not even counting in the value of the blueray player ;P

(Cant you imagine the comercials Microsoft could have made, if the PS3 was the cheaper but charged for online play? )