android
Old 05-08-2009, 09:13 PM

Default Album Art - How Does It Work?

A couple of questions about album art (searched and couldn't find relevant topics):

1. How does it actually work? I use folders (MSC?) for navigating my music and wasn't really expecting any album art because I don't have any album jpgs in my folders. However, in one folder I have CSNY's Deja Vu album (with no jpgs) but after uploading to the D2, the album art showed up! How does this happen?

2. Is it possible to create custom album art? I have some folders with misc songs and would like to create my own album art if possible.

Thanks!
Dale

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 PM

Are you running windows dzjc? You can attach album art to any music file just using explorer...it can be what you find on the web or any old picture...make it small and neat with paint or paint.net

Not sure about how it gets packaged in with some music files...I know a large selection of my music Windows Media Player grabbed it up on it's own accord and attached album art by itself....strange but cool at the same time.

Anyway once you attach the thumbnail picture to the actual music file you are good...shows up with whatever music program you pull it up with and should with any mp3 player that shows album art.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:44 PM

An example, I have the song "Do You Feel Me" by Anthony Hamilton from the American Gangster Soundtrack...nothing pulled up when I was trying out EmoDio's Gracenote feature for adding album art and track information. So I just googled "American Gangster images".....

Now I just pick one and add it to the file.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:09 PM

if you want album art you have to embed it in your music files, try using mp3tag (use a search engine to find it) it's a free program that will allow you to embed .jpg album art in your mp3 files as well as changing what the song/album/artist are on the "now playing" screen.

you can find most album art by searching for "<album name=""> Album Art" in google images or on a similar search site, most is 300x300, 150x150, or 125x125 pixels in size, any of these work with the D2 (I've checked) so long as the file is embedded in the Mp3 (or whatever format) properly

when tagging files it's best to tag them while they're on your computer, then transfer them to your player, else the D2's DB may not update correctly, if you have a large amount of music to transfer (2gb+) I would recommend using teracopy, the free version unless your really want to pay, it'll copy the music faster than if you copied it through windows explorer.

I do not know if it's required, but I would suggest placing all album art into the same folder as the album's music files, then embedding it and copying the entire folder over to the D2, if you don't want to see album art every time you browse through your music on your computer, just rename the file to "folder.jpg" then mark it as hidden by editing the properties of the image (right click>properties) this will effectively make the folder's icon (when in thumbnail view) the album art, while hiding the .jpg itself from view. (unless you have the system set to show hidden files and folders</album>

Old 05-09-2009, 06:14 AM

Thanks for the replies! Okay, so I'll try mp3tag, but how did the album art appear in my CSNY Deja Vu folder? The jpg isn't there and I didn't embed anything?

Old 05-09-2009, 01:46 PM

sometimes media jukebox programs (what you use to manage/play music on your PC) can automatically add albumart to the files, some files (mp3 for example) don't need the albumart in the folder or on the device at all so long as it's embedded correctly, but other files (like FLAC) need the albumart with the file to display properly. If your music is seperated like most common music libraries (folders, artist/album/files) then you can put any image in the folder with the mp3 files, rename it to cover.jpg and it will be those files' albumart when played by the D2

EDIT: I've also noticed that all Amazon mp3 files have the album art (if available) embedded already

Old 05-09-2009, 07:58 PM

The other way is to save the album art as "cover.jpg" in your album's music folder.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 AM

Mp3Tag is a fantastic utility that really does a great job. I use a combination of both Mp3Tag and Media Monkey to organize and tag my music media.

Mp3Tag would be a great program even if it came with a price tag, but since it's FREE - definately try it out.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Banned

Ah, and mp3Tag supports FLAC. I'll give it a try.