android
Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Default Samsung NC10 vs Archos 5

I've recently ordered a Samsung NC10 netbook, with a 10.2 inch screen, 1gb RAM (soon to be upgraded to 2) and 160gb HDD. I've also been considering the Archos 5 250gb, as I've always wanted an Archos since I saw my friends 705. However, at nearly 275, it's a lot of money to waste on something if it turns out to be superfluous seeing as I have the NC10. Most of the features on the Archos are better on the NC10, such as the wifi and video playback. The larger screen on the Sammy can be viewed as an advantage or a disadvantage, as the Archos is more portable. Also the Archos has more storage (but i doubt I'd ever fill it completely). The Archos doesn't have Bluetooth, but the NC10 does, so I could tether my phone if I can't get wifi.

I'm wondering whether it would be worth getting the Archos as well, not instead of, the NC10. I've read some pretty bad owner reviews of the Archos, and nothing but praise for the NC10.

So would the Archos be worth it?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 AM

Two different devices as I see it. One is a full blown computer, you can run apps that you want, and do everything the Archos can. The other is a PMP, which allows you to watch videos, listen to music, surf the web, but you can't run apps that you want.

If the device is primarily for internet, I'd go with the NC10, it's got a bigger screen, more screen resolution, so it will be more enjoyable for web browsing.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:42 AM

Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. I'm already getting the NC10, and wanted to know if there was any point in getting an Archos as well as the NC10, or if I could just use the NC10 for everything the Archos can do.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:05 PM

You can load whatever windows based media player you want to on the NC10. If you're planning on carrying your NC10 everywhere, then there isn't a need. I'm sure there will be times you won't want to carry it though and just want a media player. From the reviews it seems the interface for email and web browsing are a bit clunky. So I can't imagine the archos useful for anything more than the occasional email or two. Anything intensive seems like it would be a chore.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:29 AM

I've got an NC10, great little netbook, I use it frequently (especially at my Girlfriends where I plug in a 3 dongle and surf away when i'm waiting on her getting ready etc).

I'm also looking at getting an Archos, the 7 though. I think the 7 will be perfect for when I'm travelling on holiday etc, I wouldn't be lugging a laptop (even the NC10 netbook) to Europe in the summer, the 7 will be ideal for watching films and maybe the occasional surf if I get a wi-fi signal.

What I'd say is if you watch a lot of films then the NC10 is fine, if you want ultimate portability in a small package then the Archos 5 could well be up your street... plus with 250gb in the big one you can even use it to backup your NC10.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:22 AM

I own an Archos 5 - 60gb with the docking station and a Lenovo s10. I love my Archos and use it all the time - to download and watch movies and record tv shows , not so much for anything else. The screen is really beautiful and it's very easy to carry around. The netbook is nice for the internet, though a little slow, and email, etc. I've also used it to download movies to my Archos - so for me there's a place for both.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:26 AM

The Archos is not a computer, its a pmp. You cannot install your own programs. The internet can and will crash the system, depending on the site. Too much surfing can over heat the unit and will cause a crash. This is no IMT, but as a media player this thing is second to none.

Tags
archos, nc10, samsung