android
Old 12-27-2008, 10:34 AM

Help P4 rumors?

As I've been reading through several of the topics on this board, I've come across many mentions of the Samsung P4... From what I understand, it'll be, essentially, a higher-end P3, made to compete with the iPod Touch. Can anybody tell me more? Are there any reliable sources reporting on the subject? I don't wanna go buy a P3 just to have something better come out a month later. Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-27-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by band_geek_06 View Post
As I've been reading through several of the topics on this board, I've come across many mentions of the Samsung P4... From what I understand, it'll be, essentially, a higher-end P3, made to compete with the iPod Touch. Can anybody tell me more? Are there any reliable sources reporting on the subject? I don't wanna go buy a P3 just to have something better come out a month later. Thanks!
Well Lebellium (he's a samsung insider) says that there will be a p4 at one point, however he doesn't know when it will be made, or pretty much anything about it. You could just wait 11 days for CES though, maybe samsung will launch it and the p3 then.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:18 PM

The P3 isnīt released yet so why would samsung bring so fast the P4? :P
Maybe in 2010...

Old 12-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I understand the P4 to be more expensive and enough different from the P2/P3 to stand alone beside them. It should have WiFi, a browser, an SDK for app developement, and both music and app store access from the P4 itself if it wants to compete with the Touch. Olley

Old 01-01-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion2k6 View Post
The P3 isnīt released yet so why would samsung bring so fast the P4? :P
Maybe in 2010...
It's not like that. Some people speculate that the P4 will be what the P2 was to the T10. They say that it will be released some months after the P3, like the P2 was after the T10, and have a load of special features.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsecrabilus View Post
It's not like that. Some people speculate that the P4 will be what the P2 was to the T10. They say that it will be released some months after the P3, like the P2 was after the T10, and have a load of special features.
My point exactly.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:37 PM

If it has a browser and sdk for apps i would drop everything and grab a p4. But I can wait til then.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Having a P4 out there to dream about is fun. Maybe it will be everything the iPod Touch is and have all the features Apple left out. I'd love to see a folding or scrolling oled screen transform a small device into a big screen display. That may be more 2010 though. You've gotta bet a P4 will have wifi. Push the screen out to the edges of the case. Throw in an ATSC tuner for the U.S. customers. Improve the intelligence behind discovering and buying media. Drop in the already excellent bluetooth the P2 is famous for. Add support for bluetooth keyboards and mice. Make it stunningly beautiful. I want one.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:13 PM

damn. PMP's ain't what they used to be. As long as everything is clean and intuitive and the sound quality is there, I'll be happy. Right now I"m just looking out for the P3 and the Walkman Touch. I have been waiting since last January and I don't think I can wait much longer, if not I'll just always be waiting. There will always be something better in the future.

Current player: Sansa Clip 4GB (as a temporary and workout player)
Future PMP: looks like I'll never get one cuz I'll never be satisfied.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:27 PM

Default I know

ive had my sansa e250r for about 2 years now, so i think its time for an upgrade. Ive only been waiting since november, but its about to kill me.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:46 AM

Cool

I had my Z5 for about 3 years, wanted to buy p2 but decided to wait for p3, then I hear that P4 might come out.You know what, I'm not gonna wait for P4 I'll buy P3 and then just skip to P5 or something.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No sign of a P4 at CES, unless that was their code name for the PMP with a PICO projector. Hopefully they knew the Sony Walkman Touch was coming and are waiting to see what it's got. Sony looks to have put an FM radio in the walkman. If Samsung moved to a larger screen (3.3 or 4" AMOLED), then added Wifi (for browser, web apps, email and so on) and a graphics coprocessor to smooth out graphics, then simply included everything (FM, Bluetooth, Phone pairing, Flash apps) the P3 has it would win no contest.

Last edited by Olley; 02-25-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM

but it won't.

Current player: Sansa Clip 4GB (as a temporary and workout player)
Future PMP: looks like I'll never get one cuz I'll never be satisfied.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by band_geek_06 View Post
No it was in miss-interpretation. When MovePlayer read Samsung's Fcc reports they saw the P3 AND a player called the YP-PV1. They thought that it was going to be some super cool new P4 becuase of the name but it turned out to only be this.

Maybea REAL P4 will come in 2011 since they seem to skip two years when coming out with touchscreen mp3 players.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:06 AM

Instead of making the p4's screen bigger, I think they should just give it wifi, Then make the externals the size of a Sansa Fuze. Keep the screen size, Keep everything. Add wi-fi(with flash and download support), (maybe even a camera) and make it smaller ;-) ohh, and increase the battery life.

SDK!!!!!

Last edited by juggleboy711; 02-27-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:49 PM

To be honest, I hope they really put some time and thought into their future P4.
It shouldn't be just like a P3 with some extra stuff thrown in for good measure. Maybe it should have a more responsive touchscreen, an accelerometer with a G-sensor, and most importantly for me an SDHC card slot! I'm a little nervous about the memory capacities now because I have a ton of stuff and it always seems to expand.
These are just my 2 cents and hopes.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:16 PM

Accelorometer, folding screen - Keep that ---- out please!!!! Please only impliment an SDHC slot if you can keep ALL the dust from reaching the screen.. A OLED screen, I wouldn't be against. What would be very cool is a mp3 with the user interface similar to a computer where you could easily browse and sort your music, and edit the id3 tags easily and add album art and download tracks easily. (but more importantly, my post 2 posts up ;-) )

Many people favor the p2 because of the size, if atleast not a reason to love it. Now if Samsung packed it all into a device the size of a fuze, they could really compete with the nano AND the Touch with the same device, putting both to shame ;-)

SDK!!!!!

Last edited by juggleboy711; 02-27-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggleboy711 View Post
Accelorometer, folding screen - Keep that ---- out please!!!! Please only impliment an SDHC slot if you can keep ALL the dust from reaching the screen.. A OLED screen, I wouldn't be against. What would be very cool is a mp3 with the user interface similar to a computer where you could easily browse and sort your music, and edit the id3 tags easily and add album art and download tracks easily. (but more importantly, my post 2 posts up ;-) )

Many people favor the p2 because of the size, if atleast not a reason to love it. Now if Samsung packed it all into a device the size of a fuze, they could really compete with the nano AND the Touch with the same device, putting both to shame ;-)
The size of the fuze would be out of the question. First it doesn't have enough room, to fit all the guts of the mp3 player. Second people would rather have a more widescreen aspect, than a square-ish screen.

Personally if I could ask for something, it would be a much more sensitive screen. I like to mess around on my brother's ipod, and after playing with that, then using the p2 makes you realize that that screen is crap compared to the ipods. Also, some basic apps would be really cool. Stuff like notes, more fun games, themes, etc.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:02 AM

juggleboy711's right. a folding screen wouldn't even be that great (more hindrance than innovative), and it's just asking to be snapped by the slightest opening that's a little too rough.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

OLED has the potential to be flexible, and Samsung has already shown a prototype phone/PMP with a small screen on the outside and a huge screen that unfolds when opened. Of course they also demonstrated a PICO projector in a PMP and a phone which may show up soon. The point to folding the screen would be to get a big screen from a small form factor, but if you can project to 10" in room light then I don't need an onboard screen anymore.

I'd love the P3 and the Sony X1000 to make it to the US, as there is not much new to talk about. I'd love it if Samsung would reveal their "amazing" P4 one day after a Sony press release for the X1000 in the US.

Last edited by Olley; 03-01-2009 at 07:36 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
p3, p4, rumor, samsung