android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Fuze

Old 04-28-2009, 06:24 PM

Default My house has a Sansa Fuze and an ipod...

I have an 8 GB ipod and just bought my daughter a 4 GB Sansa Fuze. I have been using itunes for the ipod but have discovered it won't work with the fuze. I have Windows Media Player but just haven't figured out how to get one to work for the ipod and one to work for the Fuze.

Can someone tell me how to get both to work?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-28-2009, 06:27 PM

iPods only work with iTunes, and iTunes doesn't support the Fuze.
Windows Media Player will support the Fuze, but it doesn't support iPods.

You can try SongBird, which should support both players, but it doesn't work as well as iTunes for iPods.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

im assuming you have a pc: use itunes with your ipod, and use drag and drop with your fuze. its the simplest method, and doesnt require any software. Just go into the fuze's setting menu, select USB mode, then select MSC.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:37 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot about MSC mode..

Old 04-28-2009, 07:00 PM

OK, i changed the setting on the fuze. i think i may still have a problem in that all of the cd's we have loaded onto our pc got changed to mp4 by itunes. I found out how to change them back to mp3 but that will double the size of my music library.

Also, I am trying to clean up the fuze but windows explorer won't let me see the files on the fuze but it says that half the fuze is used and half is free. i know it contains a bunch of mp4 files that the fuze can't read.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Also, I am trying to clean up the fuze but windows explorer won't let me see the files on the fuze but it says that half the fuze is used and half is free. i know it contains a bunch of mp4 files that the fuze can't read.
at this point you should be able to see the files on the FUZE because in MSC mode the player essentially becomes a hard drive. The FUZE isn't trying to read the files your OS is. That said, now you have to troubleshoot. Is the player REALLY in MSC mode?. Your USB connection (computer to player) ok?..ie: when plugged in does your OS see 2 FUZE drives...1 internal and 1 external (microSD slot)..?. I know sometimes when my USB is acting up a reboot will correct the problem. So try that...hopefully it will solve your problems.

Edit: Just a thought. Could you be using a microSD card with files on it and misreading your memory info?. The FUZE separates internal from external memory.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 PM

latest version of mediamonkey works for both.

Edit: I mean if your CD's are ripped to mp3

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Last edited by WalkGood; 04-29-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:19 AM

The Fuze only lets you access the files that were lo... let me go find one of my old posts instead of writing it all out again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
1. If it is set to "Auto Detect" change it to "MTP" and see if [WMP] detects your music, if it doesn't, try "MSC" mode.
2. If it set to either "MTP" or "MSC" change it to the other one and see if it works.

What's going on?
Music loaded onto the Fuze when it is set to MTP mode is only visible subsequent times it is connected while in MTP mode. MSC mode is the same way: files loaded in MSC mode will only be visible when the player is connected in MSC mode.
I'd love to go off on a tangent regarding iTunes, but I won't. Let me just say: iPods and iTunes go hand and hand. Ditch iTunes now, unless you want to be "locked in" to buy iPods for the rest of your life.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozilla View Post
OK, i changed the setting on the fuze. i think i may still have a problem in that all of the cd's we have loaded onto our pc got changed to mp4 by itunes. I found out how to change them back to mp3 but that will double the size of my music library.

how does this happen? did you use itunes to rip the CD's?

just asking for my own curiosity really, as i have an itouch i use with itunes and a Fuze i use with WMP and have never had a problem with either. my music is added to itunes and gets put on my itouch....the same music gets put on my Fuze through WMP. the original files are still as they have always been and without duplicates / differing formats

hmm....

Old 04-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

iTunes default format is the AAC/mp4/m4a when you rip CD's with it. There is a setting in it somewhere(I forget where...I ditched iTunes months ago) that lets you switch that to MP3. So if the OP re-rips their CD's as MP3, then they could use the same music on both players.....using iTunes for the iPod, and WMP (or drag and drop) for the Sansa. WMP could be set to monitor the same music folder used by iTunes.....and both players will be usable.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:55 PM

Rockbox will enable an iPod to work with Windows Media player, right?

Old 04-29-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
Rockbox will enable an iPod to work with Windows Media player, right?
Windows Media won't work with an Ipod because it doesn't support .aac music files. Maybe if you converted them to .mp3?. You might try MediaMonkey as it might support both..(.aac and .mp3), although not sure. Rockbox does support .aac files
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 PM

Neither the Fuze nor WMP will play .aac files. If you ripped your music from CDs in iTunes without specifically changing it to rip to MP3, this is what you have, and you will need to convert or re-rip this music to MP3. Conversion can be done from within iTunes, but will result in a music file that is worse in quality from the original.

If you purchased these songs from the iTunes online store, then they are in .mp4 format and have protection on them that means they will never work in any device other than an iPod. These cannot be converted, and must be burnt/re-ripped to remove the protection, again, reducing the quality of the music file. There are programs to remove this protection and make the file into an MP3, but they are illegal and also reduce quality.

If you have MP3 files, MediaMonkey will sync to both the Fuze and the iPod without trouble using MTP mode.

If you switch modes from MTP to MSC, you will no longer be able to see the music on the Fuze when it is connected to your computer, and visa-versa. You can only see the files in the mode they were added in.

Thought I'd lay all of that out there, because some of the above looked like the trouble was a vagueness/unfamiliarity with what others were talking about that was causing the confusion. :] (And yeah, mistakenly posted this in the wrong thread earlier because I am a silly goose. My bad.)

Old 04-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Jozilla:

You know how Macs and PCs aren't compatible?

Well iPods and mp3 players aren't compatible either. (Yeah I know that I am basically saying that an ipod isn't an mp3 player.)

That is a big part of the reason that some of us won't buy an ipod. (Although if you want to give me one. )

Steve

Old 05-30-2009, 05:40 PM

We just have all Sansa players to make things easier. I had purchased a Zen Mozaic LX, but ended up returning it because it wasn't as easy to load stuff onto as a Sansa. And I really like my Sansa a lot better. In fact, we liked my Clip so much, we bought our daughter a new Fuze when her older Sansa started acting up. Ipods are cute, but too expensive. Maybe it's time you upgraded to a Sansa Fuze.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Banned

you dont need to use MSC mode, infact if you want to make play lists, using MSC mode (with windows) makes it alot less conveniant.

with MTP mode, drag+drop>slect files you want in play list>rclick>create playlist>rename play list>dbl click play list and check order of tracks>save any changes>done.

msc mode you gotta use m3u play lists or the like, since the player dosnt support folder browsing(bah!!!, only thing i dont like about my fuze)

Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen View Post
you dont need to use MSC mode, infact if you want to make play lists, using MSC mode (with windows) makes it alot less conveniant.

with MTP mode, drag+drop>slect files you want in play list>rclick>create playlist>rename play list>dbl click play list and check order of tracks>save any changes>done.

msc mode you gotta use m3u play lists or the like, since the player dosnt support folder browsing(bah!!!, only thing i dont like about my fuze)
Um, the Fuze does so support folder browsing. You need to update your firmware

Old 05-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Banned

weird couldnt get it to let me brows and it says im on latist firmware.......

Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 PM
Banned

re-updated dispite it saying its updated gonna see what happens *Crosses fingers*

Old 05-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Banned

ok, updated from latist firmware to latist firmware and it now lets me folder brows.......rofl.....my typical luck, i had to update my u3's firmware to get it to not stall out when loading ogg files from pc so guess this shouldnt suprise me(it shiped with latist firmware to but updating to the same firmware fixed that to.)

thanks

Tags
fuze, ipod, itunes, wmp