Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Default NWZ-E436F Firmware Won't Update

Hi - After searching here and elsewhere for a couple of days, and contacting Sony, I can't find a solution. Trying to update v 1.00 to 1.02 on my wife's E436F (she loves it - 1st MP3 player, although taking that into consideration, she likes the quality sound, ease of navigating, storing songs, size of display) -- Vista home premium. Walkman shows as an MTP item.

The updater window appears with the "Current Firmware Version" and "Upgrade Firmware Version" fields blank. As it progresses, another window appears: "Unable to write to device. Device timeout." I remove that window. The updater window now shows "Current" ver as 0.00, and "Upgrade" as "1.02". I'm now given "Start" as an option, so I did that. End result, no change.

The Sony instructions say if 0.00 appears, unplug the unit, close all programs, start over. Tried that several times, plus rebooting. No change.

I first tried this in Jan 2009 (bought in Dec 2008), w/same result. Sony (on phone) said (in Jan, and now in Apr) to save all songs/pictures, etc., and Format. I tried that in Jan, but no change. Tried the reset button -- no change. I've not tried the Format nor reset again in Apr.

Tried updating as a USB item instead of an MTP - definitely doesn't work - keeps telling me to connect device.

Any clues to this obstacle ?

The unit works just fine (yes, it does have the little pre-programmed quirks mentioned in these forums for the E-Series units).

BTW, I did notice, when new, and now, that when volume level is halfway, it wasn't as loud as I expected. However, 20-25 (max) is more than sufficient. I'm 55 with some high-end hearing loss, and when younger I used to really want to "feel" the music. Well, I can "feel" it just fine at level 20-25 - I don't need it any louder. I "want" it louder, but that's different than "need." For those that say the E-series units aren't loud enough, either you're already partially deaf, or "simply loud" isn't good enough for you -- you want to "feel" it !!! Well, you may be (will be) sorry later. That said, I sure enjoyed it at "blast" level when younger. There's always a price to be paid, isn't there ?

Dave H.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]