android
Old 04-23-2009, 01:16 AM

Default Why is my D2+ rearranging albums?

i drag and drop albums, when i go to play them on the d2+ they are completely out of order. Very annoying. Anyone else have this problem?
is there a solution?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-23-2009, 02:54 AM

Two possibilities:

1. Your tagging of track numbers goes 1-10 rather than 01-10, so it recognises all the numbers above 10 as being before 2. You can download MP3Tag for free and sort that out.

2. Your file names do not use the format the Cowon players seem to like. Name them

01 Trackname - 10 Trackname

And it will recognise the right order.

For all my love of Cowon, I conceed they are not the most user friendly devices in the world; they do demand an impeccably tiday and ordered music collection to work perfectly. But you only have to tidy up the file names and tags on your collection once and they'll be good forever.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donv View Post
i drag and drop albums, when i go to play them on the d2+ they are completely out of order. Very annoying. Anyone else have this problem?
is there a solution?
Cowon D2 does NOT need any trick to work with your files. Nothing but the proper ID3 tags or the proper names in the files.
It will depend in the method that you use to access your Music. via Folder (last option of Music Library) or via Music Library itself.
Music Library requires ID3 Tag
File browsing requires proper order of files names then applies what Eddie wrote.

This two method have its own rules:

1. There is a value in Setting > Display > Title > File name or ID3 Tag.
File Name order the files according with it: the name of the file.
ID3 Tag takes the track# to order the files. Track# is a value that is in the ID3 Tag.

2. If is used Music Library the reason is more hard to understand:
Do not use drag'n drop... use any media manager you like: Windows Media Player, free jetAudio Basic, free J. River Jukebox... any media manager that allows you to see your D2 and transfer files to it. You can use a utility called Teracopy too.

The explanation is:

Operating system store the files in a random order when are loaded in the HDD, if the HDD is very populated, files are stored in fragments in random order too.
When drag and drop is used to transfer, the files are transferred so, in random order, as they are stored in HDD, then in D2 the db reorganizer tries to put them in order, including the files that are stored in the SD card. This is a weak point in D2... then there are big possibilities that happens what you suffer. db reorganizer not capable to put all in order.

A media manager put in order the files to play them, so it acts when is asked to transfer the files. So the files are stored in order into D2, then db organising is easier, and success in displaying is bigger... also is reduced the possibility of db corruption, another problem of D2.

In resume. D2 db reorganizer needs some help.

Last edited by DaremoS; 04-23-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:04 AM

I use drag and drop MSC mode, and my albums are all in the right order. So long as your tags and filenames are all clean it'll work fine...

Old 04-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
I use drag and drop MSC mode, and my albums are all in the right order. So long as your tags and filenames are all clean it'll work fine...
This is true... it will depend in volume of media files, the way is maintained the PC (defragmenting frequently helps), use of SD card. Proper program of ID3 Tagging, just to mention some.
Beside of your case that works fine.... there are lots of people that have the OP problem, and some others even worse... the infamous db corruption.

What I explained is a secure method to have your D2 without troubles as I have had in two year of intensive use reading music from a library of about 70.000 music files.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:21 AM

thanks, good explanations.
What ar ID3 tags?
i'm pretty new to all of this stuff.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the explanation DaremoS.

donV, ID3 tags are information stored for Genre, Album, Artist, Year etc etc to help people arrange their music.

You can edit, or add, ID3 tags with a lot of different programmes, I like MP3Tag, which is free to download and very simple.

Cowon players and some others also have folder browsing, which for my tastes is a superior way of browsing music, which is just viewing your files the the folder structure they are actually in.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:44 PM

can i arrange them within the player? or do i have to delete them, arrange on my pc then dump back into the player?

Old 04-24-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieE View Post
Thanks for the explanation DaremoS.

donV, ID3 tags are information stored for Genre, Album, Artist, Year etc etc to help people arrange their music.

You can edit, or add, ID3 tags with a lot of different programmes, I like MP3Tag, which is free to download and very simple.

Cowon players and some others also have folder browsing, which for my tastes is a superior way of browsing music, which is just viewing your files the the folder structure they are actually in.
How many levels of folders does the D2 allow?

Old 04-24-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcrash View Post
How many levels of folders does the D2 allow?
as far as I know: as deep as you please

lots more navigation with more folder depth, but mine work fine being in MUSIC/artist/album

Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 AM

When i use Mediaplayer, it automatically syncs my entire library to my D2. What the "F"? is this normal? I'm having a tough time with this device and the user manual is a joke. The jet audio software is not very user friendly either. at least for me.
Can anyone recommend a simple Media Manager for that works well with the D2+?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:51 PM

I just drag-n-drop my music ot the device, but it syncs okay with Windows Media Player 11, Winamp won't recognize it for me, but I've heard of people doing fine on MediaMonkey, except you can't sync to SD card specifically or at all, same goes to WMP11

EDIT: is your media center set up to auto sync? this could be the issue, you can probably turn this off, but I don't know, if you're talking about the media center in WinXP media center edition or Vista I don't know, I don't use it at all, I still suggest Windows Media Player 11 for user-friendlyiness (besides, it uses the same folder structure as your library when sync-ing)