android
Old 04-17-2009, 07:49 PM

Help How easy is it to find and play a track?

Ok, first a bit of background to my question: My collection of music includes hundreds of CDs (most of which are singles not albums). This means that if I want to listen to a particular track/song, I have to physically search for the relevant CD, which could be stored in one of several aluminium DJ cases, or in various stacks of CDs around my apartment.

To make life easier, if I were to rip all my CDs and store them in a DAP which has sufficient capacity, then I'd have all those tracks at my fingertips. And having recently read various reviews of Cowon's new D2+ (all agreeing that its SQ is excellent!), I'm now very tempted to get one.

I understand that the D2/D2+ allows browsing of music either by folders or by ID3 tags, but the D2 user manual doesn't show any details of the actual process, and I've not found any description either in the forums here or at iAudiophile. However, I've seen various comments about the D2/D2+ navigation not being the easiest to use (navigiation on any iPod is supposedly much easier), and that browsing by ID3 tags is frequently problematic. I read also that the timeout when browsing folders is not very long, so if you aren't quick enough when browsing multiple/nested folders, the Now Playing screen returns and then you have to start again - that would definitely be frustrating!

So, given that my primary objective is to make it easy to find any track very quickly, am I likely to become quickly annoyed with the navigation options on the D2+?

If anyone could provide a description of how to navigate using folders and ID3 tags on a D2/D2+ I'd really appreciate it.

TIA,
Si

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-17-2009, 08:18 PM

I've got almost two terabytes of music by now, and I have no issues filling my players and navigating around them. Just give your D2 a try, it's really not that hard.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
... Just give your D2 a try...
Ah, perhaps I wasn't quite clear enough? I don't actually own any DAP at the moment. In the days before online shopping it was much easier to find a real shop with demo models that you could play with to see how well they worked. Not so easy any more...

Pretty much everything I've read about the Cowon D2/D2+ has been very positive. But before I tap in my credit card details and order one, I'd like to get a feel for whether the issues with navigation are minor, or would leave me regretting my choice and wishing I'd bought something else.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 PM

As long as your tags or folders are well organized it is very easy to find and play a particular song. You can go in through the folder browser, or you can go through ID3 tags and sort by artist, album, year, etc. You can even do a full alphabetical list of every track on your player.

The timeout isn't that quick, usually only happens after 5 seconds of no touch input, but it's not really a problem if you know where you're going. If you're staring at your screen for a few seconds not sure where to look it will time out on you.

I've had only a few problems with ID3 tag browsing, but all of them are because my tags aren't great. I've got some missing tags, or in other languages that come up as ?????. I doubt you'll have this problem because you seem the type to keep this clean and orderly.

The issues you've heard about are very minor. I've had mine for 1.5 years now, and I'm very satisfied with it.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:44 AM

My first mp3 player was a gen3 ipod, the scrollwheel,clickwheel thing is nice for navigation, but I manage fine with my d2.

The best part of the d2 is that I can organize my music however I want, unlike the ipod.
My music is stored in folders that go like: Artist->Album->Track. I can find a particular track easy enough.

The timeout issue has never been a problem, if I totally go braindead, I scroll around until the moment passes ;-)

There are some videos on youtube that show the navigation in action. It's not as slick as an ipod, but what sold me, (navigation wise), was the ability to have any folder structure I want. The sound quality is great.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:09 AM

[QUOTE=dj_si;348031]In the days before online shopping it was much easier to find a real shop with demo models that you could play with to see how well they worked. Not so easy any more...

i feel for you mate... i live in australia and the shops here are shit...
no "demo models that you could play with"

demo models that you could play with not a chance lol

i demo shop at youtube check this out!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I've got almost two terabytes of music by now, and I have no issues filling my players and navigating around them. Just give your D2 a try, it's really not that hard.
2TB? Wow. Duly impressed. I thought I had a lot of music. I'll go stand in the corner now.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:44 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
...you seem the type to keep this clean and orderly.
Too true! After only 2 posts, Gray has me figured out already - impressive! ...scarey , but impressive!

However, thank you all for your responses. The info you have provided has convinced me that, so long as I get the tags right, I shouldn't have any real problems. And thanks for the tips on searching youtube - actually seeing the D2 in action has also shown me that navigation is apparently pretty easy. Here in the centre of London we do of course have some big stores where you can try out the devices, but they only ever have iPods!

Anyway, I've taken the plunge and placed my order for a black 16Gb D2+ ...now just gotta wait for it to arrive!

Thanks again,
Si

Old 04-29-2009, 11:27 AM

Allow me to beg to differ with people.

To me, finding and playing a track is like playing a video game. He who hesitates is lost.

I'd be very happy if I could adjust the interval of the timeout (return to song screen) deal. I'd be quite content if I could turn the d*** thing off.

Using D2+ firmware 2.02 on a D2, if that has a way to do it.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob27 View Post
To me, finding and playing a track is like playing a video game. He who hesitates is lost.
Well, now my D2+ has arrived and I've had a chance to play with it, I'm inclined to agree. I've installed f/w 2.02, but although there's a handy timeout setting for how long until the LCD switches off, there's none for adjusting how long the menu stays up. Clearly there's a pre-defined timeout stored somewhere for the menu, so all Cowon need do is add an option in the settings to allow the user to adjust it.

If anyone from Cowon is reading, could you please add this to the wishlist for f/w 2.03? Thanks!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Great review, though it's a bit old:

Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 AM

Yeah, that review is basically the reason I bought the D2.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:17 AM

Yeah, after the earlier tips about YouTube I found that video too - rather helpful!

I've now had my new D2+ for 48 hours, and so far I love it!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:21 AM

Thought I'd just add a quick update, having now had several days to thoroughly check out my new D2+.

Now that I've got used to it, I agree that navigation (my original concern!) is indeed really rather easy. And as others had pointed out, problems arise only when the tags are incorrect - I've run into this issue with some files, but as soon as I correct the tags with MediaMonkey and copy the updated files to the D2+, everything's fine.

I have a few quibbles with this player (horrendous implementation of playlists, no gapless playback, and the short inactivity timeout when browsing), but they are topics for another thread.

But the bottom line is, this player ROCKS!!

Thanks again to all those who gave me advice!