android
Old 04-18-2009, 08:36 PM

How did you do that and how can I?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-18-2009, 08:54 PM

It's actually pretty easy if you have the time (and knowledge). Basically I followed the tutorials at rockbox.org on how to compile rockbox and the kernel. The kernel is really the hardest part as you have to make sure you've done everything right as you'll be flashing this onto the Fuze. Your basically patching the OFW with rockbox kernel, so it will dual boot into the OFW or Rockbox. Once everything is compiled you copy the firmware and .rockbox folder to the root of the Sansa Fuze, and after you remove the usb cable it will automatically start flashing the new firmware onto the Fuze.

I would stay clear of doing this though if you have no experience in compiling code. Also Rockbox is still experimental software so not everything works, and you could end up bricking your MP3 player if you don't know what your doing.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:01 PM

Once I posted those pictures, some people really got excited.

The Rockbox I use on my Fuze (and several other people) isn't Official and it isn't a Test version either (as far as I know), it's simply something a person I know dug up in the wide fields of Internet. And for those doubtful, I took the pictures (sorry for the quality, it's mah phone), what more do you want? For me this version is more than fine, this was first time (ever) I used Rockbox and it was easy as pie. I can't see many big flaws (okay, only one) with this version of Rockbox, the only problem would be slight decrease in battery life but everything else works mighty fine, all the apps, games, demos etc work perfectly and hey, I was playing Doom today Those who requested instructions, I sent it to them and it worked fine. And it's even Dual boot (I was suprised that someone found out yesterday) so I would say that this version is enough for me and I won't even download the official version once it comes out.

I will take some more pics (if rockbox hasn't been released by then) on 12th May (my sister is coming to visit and she has a very decent camera) and I can show off my theme and the whole "un-official Rockbox".

If anyone else wants to try it, send me a PM, preferably to Sansa Forum because I mainly roam there but anyway.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
It's actually pretty easy if you have the time (and knowledge). Basically I followed the tutorials at rockbox.org on how to compile rockbox and the kernel. The kernel is really the hardest part as you have to make sure you've done everything right as you'll be flashing this onto the Fuze. Your basically patching the OFW with rockbox kernel, so it will dual boot into the OFW or Rockbox. Once everything is compiled you copy the firmware and .rockbox folder to the root of the Sansa Fuze, and after you remove the usb cable it will automatically start flashing the new firmware onto the Fuze.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you actually need to flash anything. You just need to patch the Sansa firmware with the Rockbox bootloader and compile your own build for the Fuze.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:53 PM

Yes that is correct, but by patching the firmware you are re-installing the firmware with rockbox bootloader. You are flashing the device, that's why there is the risk of bricking the MP3 player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATZ View Post
The Rockbox I use on my Fuze (and several other people) isn't Official and it isn't a Test version either (as far as I know), it's simply something a person I know dug up in the wide fields of Internet. And for those doubtful, I took the pictures (sorry for the quality, it's mah phone), what more do you want?
So someone else gave you those files? Heh, I wonder which build you've got. It is clearly a test version as that's all that is available. Oh, and pay attention to my other post. I actually posted a video of rockbox in action.

BTW if you looked at the video, I am running the latest nightly build.

EDIT: One last thing, do you know how to configure the controls in doom properly? I can't manage to quit the game correctly and I wish I could just scroll left and right to turn instead of pushing down on the buttons.

Last edited by DPyro; 04-18-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
So someone else gave you those files? Heh, I wonder which build you've got. It is clearly a test version as that's all that is available. Oh, and pay attention to my other post. I actually posted a video of rockbox in action.

BTW if you looked at the video, I am running the latest nightly build.

EDIT: One last thing, do you know how to configure the controls in doom properly? I can't manage to quit the game correctly and I wish I could just scroll left and right to turn instead of pushing down on the buttons.
You can try looking at the manual for the Sansa E200 since they are similar in some ways or you can edit the Rockbox source.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:06 AM

Sorry, didn't feel like making a new thread. Has anybody tried this.
Instead of fuzeA.bin name it fuzeT.bin
T = TEST MODE

Would like to know what you guys think.

Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
It's actually pretty easy if you have the time (and knowledge). Basically I followed the tutorials at rockbox.org on how to compile rockbox and the kernel.
Is there a generic or fuze-specific tutorial on rockbox.org?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassbrnr View Post
Is there a generic or fuze-specific tutorial on rockbox.org?
There is a generic tutorial. Check these two links out.
Building the Cross Compiler

How to compile

Old 04-20-2009, 01:20 PM

I just followed the simplified guide to compiling and Cygwin install guide. You'll also want to check out the Bootloader installation.

By the way, you'll want to make sure you have a V1 Fuze if you choose to try this.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:50 PM

Ok. I got it working. For those interested, the most significant thing missing is that USB doesn't work. You have to reboot into Sansa's firmware, copy the files and then reboot back into Rockbox.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:59 PM

Now someone needs to try it with ClieOS's LOD cable and let us know, I would but I don't own a fuze. BTW, the latest build for the v1 clip is running great, no more glitches so far and it does auto switch to OF on connect to pc.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-20-2009, 03:08 PM

I think like alot of people I'm just going to wait until it's released. Hopefully they'll have USB worked out by then. I'm anxious but not in a hurry.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 04-20-2009, 03:11 PM

USB is not a problem really. If the fuze is turned off and you plug in the USB cable, it will automatically boot into the OFW and allow you to copy data onto the flash drive. You can wait if you want, but it could be awhile untill they release an 'official' build.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

funman reported getting the codec performance problem half worked out today, and thats the last big problem. After that all we need is to add support for AMS targets to rbutil and I think we can release.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
funman reported getting the codec performance problem half worked out today, and thats the last big problem. After that all we need is to add support for AMS targets to rbutil and I think we can release.
Great to hear!

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Just read that, sounds like a significant speed boost once that is fixed and 100% stable.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 PM

USB works for me, well, if you turn it off.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:06 PM

check this out don't know if its real though but there appears to be rockbox for the fuze already

Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The latest on the Rockbox port for the Fuze (as posted here):

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post