android
Old 04-14-2009, 11:39 PM

Default D2 refuses to recognize changes in id3 tags

I am using a free program called AudioShell to edit my id3 tags on my music collection. It generally works fine, and most of the time, the changes I make with it are recognized by the D2. But sometimes, apparently randomly, it won't recognize the changes, or it will recognize some and not others, with no apparent order to it.

A couple example problems:
I put about five albums by "Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds" on there. They showed as three separate artists, "Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds," "Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds," and "Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds." I deleted them off the d2, went in with AudioShell and made them all "Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds." I know I made them all exactly the same because I copied and pasted. Then I put them back on...and this time, the same three artists show up, but with different albums under each...as in, it "took" for some of them, but not others! Wtf?!

Same basic thing with "The Pineapple Thief." In this case, some songs on the same album appear as "The Pineapple Thief" and others as "Pineapple Thief"! And this happened to an album that I ripped from the CD, so I KNOW the id3 tags were all made at the same time, with the same program....

And then another album I put on there just straight up never shows up, not under any artist, not under the list of albums and none of the individual tracks are in the track list...

Is this just a result of the id3 editor I'm using not meshing with the d2's interface? Or what the heck else could explain this?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-15-2009, 04:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try either MP3Tag or Media Monkey, you may have better luck. Also, I hope your editing on the comp & not on the D2 itself, as this sometimes doesn't work as planned.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude View Post
I am using a free program called AudioShell to edit my id3 tags on my music collection. It generally works fine, and most of the time, the changes I make with it are recognized by the D2. But sometimes, apparently randomly, it won't recognize the changes, or it will recognize some and not others, with no apparent order to it.

A couple example problems:
Is this just a result of the id3 editor I'm using not meshing with the d2's interface? Or what the heck else could explain this?
You have to do all the correction in the TAGS in your PC... NOT in the player itself... some changes into the database aren´t recognized when done inside the player.

You better correct the source ... remove from the D2... and reload the music.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:49 PM

I thought I mentioned this in the first post - I did make the changes on the hard drive, deleted the files off the player, and reloaded them....

Edit: OK I definitely mentioned it

Edit 2: I tried MP3Tag - no luck.

Last edited by Jude; 04-15-2009 at 07:18 PM.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:48 AM

Hey Jude (sorry!)

I was having exactly the same problem. I dragged one album onto my laptop and re-edited the tags with MP3Tag to see if it would work. It worked a treat so I dragged ALL the folders over to my laptop and put them all in MP3Tag at the one time thinking I could do it all in one fell swoop. When I put them all back on my player they hadn't changed! I realised that I would have to re-edit the tags one folder or album at a time. Did this, dragged them over to my player and they're all tagged properly now.

Just to make clear... when I say re-edit the tags I was just making some field I didn't need (like Album Artist) blank and then saving. The tags were already edited to my liknig, just not showing up properly on the player. Hope this works! Don't hesitate to ask any more questions.